86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

yota lookout, so you do this also?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yota lookout, so you do this also?

I've realized that I can't tell the models from one another so I've gotten in the habit of seeing a yota on the road and trying to catch up to it to see what generation it is. Do ya'll do this also? I mean I can tell the ones that look like my 86 (as long as they are trucks) and can tell some of the runners but I get lost in a hurry when I encounter the round bodies (newer ones).

Today for instance I was on the way to work (damnit) and this big blue runner was way up ahead of me. No top, no tailgate, 35's, bilsteins, lift, armor..... it was dirty but BIG. So I start running up on it trying to figure out what year it is when I notice the block lift in the rear (YUCK) is shifting around when it goes over a bump. I mean it moves enough that the rig shifts left ot right when it goes over a bump. So now I"m trying to catch up to let the driver know that the rear end is loose...... I get up along side and there is this little, mid 20's, blonde wearing nurses scrubs with eyes so bright blue that they glowed. At that point all I could think was "Hi, I'm Ricky...... your rear end is loose". In the mean time she looked over at my little rig, winked (here I melted a little) and stomped on it. She was gone, wiggling @ss and all. It took me a good 2 minutes to realize she had to be stopped (so I could talk to her about her rear end) because her rig was unstable and she was in danger of causing an accident...... or something. Yeah I never saw her again.

So other than the blonde moment do any of ya'll notice other Toy's on the road and try to catch up just to say "hi" or figure out what lift etc they have? I've had some stock rigs roar up next to me and slow down just to look. All I do is give a thumbs up and keep driving, I usually get a smile in return.

Last edited by Junkers88; 11-22-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if i saw a blond...in scrubs....driving a big yota i would instantly be in love and ask her to marry me on the spot. But back to your question, yeah i do the same thing.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EVERYONE looks over at my surf cause im on the "wrong side"
sometimes i give the pedal a push and show them the yota black smoke of fury!

HER BOYFRIEND HAS A NICE RIG LOL
Old 11-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
hah, Generally I can Spot a Yota truck/Runner from 1/2 a mile away.
I can tell the difference between body lines in 2nd/3rd gen trucks & 2/3rd gen runners, and if its a 2nd gen runner/3rd gen truck and it has a T symbol its 92 and up yada yada.
I run through the notions in my head every time.
All I think about is these darn trucks.

Hell I even notice yota cars...

Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
I can tell the difference between body lines in 2nd/3rd gen trucks & 2/3rd gen runners, and if its a 2nd gen runner/3rd gen truck and it has a T symbol its 92 and up yada yada.

same.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I almost ran off the road staring at a super clean 1st gen 4runner one night... haha!

I always look out for other trucks, even boot it to catch up to them (or slow down) to take a look at their ride.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:47 PM

x3. except I can see them 3/4 mile away ( ).......3rd brake light= 94+ Like to see if they are 22res or 3vzes. I cant say I've seen a 22re 4runner around here though . Can you not tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gen trucks, Scuba?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 PM

I do the same, for all trucks, but especially yotas. Also, whenever I see yotas in movies, I get all excited and freak out. Like the 2wd crew cab 3rd gens in Kiterunner, OMG! And theres a cheech and chong movie that has a scene where a really nice 2nd gen drives by...this is why I don't have a girlfriend...
Old 11-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i stare all the time...only a rare few stare back an nod
i can spot a toyota from a long distance away

i also tend to park next to a yota in the parkinglot as much as possible lol
like last night at my girlfriends college, spotted a lifted 3rd gen p/u...ended up parking on the upper to just to park next to it lol, i was bigger with 1.5" bj spacers and 34s than he was on 33s and a 4" bracket
Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flashkl
I do the same, for all trucks, but especially yotas. Also, whenever I see yotas in movies, I get all excited and freak out. Like the 2wd crew cab 3rd gens in Kiterunner, OMG! And theres a cheech and chong movie that has a scene where a really nice 2nd gen drives by...this is why I don't have a girlfriend...
x2 on the freak out part lol, i almost forgot i was driving the one day when i passed a 1st gen 4runner on the highway in my 4runner , had the same experience when i saw a 80 p/u coming at me when i was drivin my 79...ended up 3 months later, i owned that 80's cab haha
Old 11-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Can you not tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gen trucks, Scuba?
Lets just say, they are not only rare, but when I do see them, yes, I can imediatly tell its a first gen.

the grilles give it all away.
Not to mention half of them are as long as a aircraft carrier with their long beds

Old 11-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Lets just say, they are not only rare, but when I do see them, yes, I can imediatly tell its a first gen.

Not to mention half of them are as long as a aircraft carrier with their long beds

haha..man I was just messing with you.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:32 PM

I do this with all trucks..... funny story a guy did it to me last night in a 86 pickup on 35's 5:29s locked cage LCengineering 22re the hole deal lol....I ended up showing him some trails last night and we did some wheelin today lol I told him about the site maybe hell join
Old 11-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Anouther Ditto For me.

As for yota cars I especially notice tercels, since that's what I drive
Old 11-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow... don't look that long to me... and if the grill didn't, the turn signals should give it away...

...1969 "True 1st Generation" HiLux.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it drives my wife nuts. We were going up to the mountain last year when I passed this gem and made her take a picture:

3rdGen 4 door Regular length bed with a sweet aluminum ARB up front....
Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do the exact same thing. i look for yotas EVERYWHERE! like just recently. i wa watching gone in 60 seconds. when he is in eleanor ,1967 shelby gt500 which is probably a kit car, and he is backin up towards the cops so that he can get a longer run at the launch ramp that is the back of a car hauler flatbed dump bed truck. when he stops you can see a little i think it was tan yota, single cab with a rollbar i think it was a second gen. i have NEVER seen that before and that is or use to be my favorite movie. i never noticed it until i started driving my yota.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
o and i always look to see if the first on second gens have a SFA.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
wow... don't look that long to me... and if the grill didn't, the turn signals should give it away...

...1969 "True 1st Generation" HiLux.
lolz.

Ok kirk, I was talking about 1st gen "truck", like 79-83's, Ie the first generation of 4x4 trucks.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Its very rare to see a Toyota around MI, especially were i am, so when i do run across one, i pretty much know what i'm looking at. Although i have noticed a fair amount of newer 4runner around lately.

Quick Reply: yota lookout, so you do this also?