86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Writing a Knock Sensor Wire Replacement Guide but I need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Writing a Knock Sensor Wire Replacement Guide but I need help

I always feel bad about adding a semi-redundant thread but this will be more worthwhile than most "oh know I have a 52 error code!" threads. I have searched through the forum with little success and I have yet to find a good source for how to replace the knock sensor wire so I wanted to ask some questions and then write a small tutorial. I hope this is a relatively straight forward task but we'll see.

Now the problem, I have a semi-horrible situation. Three years ago, I replaced the head gasket on my 93 22re. Well, when I was mostly done reassembling the intake side of the engine. I sheared one of the bolts that put connect an coolant line the the underside of the lower intake (lower plenum?) This being that I was just almost done with a decent size project, I said screw it. Now the problem, I have a code 52 on my engine. After digging through the forum, I realize it is usually due to a bad wire or connector to the knock sensor AND it is located directly below the coolant leak. I suspect this has corroded the wire to the knock sensor and caused it to fail to send a signal the the ECU, thus error 52. I realize I need to remove the sheared bolt to correctly fix this problem.

Currently, I have tried to divert the coolant leak with aluminum foil but I will get back to you when I have results. I'm not convinced this will solve the problem but alleviate the symptoms till I get to the task.

So to fix the 52 error, I need to replace the wire from the sensor to the ECU and clean up both sides of the connection? Does this mean that I need to reroute it through the firewall not following the the wiring harness (easy way) or open up the wiring harness and run the wire correctly (correct way)? Am I missing anything? Is there any good ways to determine that this will fix the problem? Should I test the continuity of the line from the sensor connector to the ECU and reset the grounding on the ECU? Do I need to clean up the sensor and the screw plug (does the sensor ground itself to the block)?

Thanks for the info and all the help you guys can provide. I plan to write a tutorial with pictures for anybody that needs to perform the same task.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM

If you get a new connector you can splice by soldering and heat shrinking it into the OEM wire and will not have to replace the entire wire to the ECU. The first few inches of wire are not shielded. You can, for troubleshooting purposes, use a section of regular automotive wire and using a female spade connect it to the knock sensor. Run the free end out through the wheel wheel and through the door and cram the bare end into the rear of the ECU connector making contact with the knock sensor pin. Running it out the fender well keeps it well enough away from emf interference. Take it for a short test drive and see if a Code 52 is triggered around 2000-2500 rpm. This should give you a better idea if it is the circuit or the knock sensor. Honestly, I would rather try to splice an OEM wire than run a new one. It isn't like your rig will crash or blowup if the splice fails over time. Of course if you have a bad spot in your wiring harness somewhere running a piece of coaxial is going to be easier than trying to find the bad spot.

Last edited by FleshThorn; 03-07-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:23 AM

You ever end up writing the tutorial? I need to replace (or at least fix) my knock sensor wire. I'm learning how to work on my truck using the only sources I have, my repair manual and Yotatech. And my repair manual don't say chit about fixing the wire, just the sensor which I've already done. So Im stuck
Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 AM

I need to work on mine someday to.