Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Worst thing imaginable ..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst thing imaginable ..

I just put my new to me MAF mine had failed and had cause my check engine light ran rough at times. So why not just buy fuel injector also I did that BUTi had accidently grabbed the wrong one. Mac high octane says it'll raise your octane level 7-10 more off road use only. I wanted the one right next to it. :/ now my truck won't turn over just try and try runs runs and does turn over. Can I siphon the gas? Put clean gas and fuel injectors in and will that work? Please don't tell me I just f***** my engine over I'm 18 and first pick up and don't have the funds for an engine rebuild or swap...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Oh look the label days not for street use please tell me I can flush this out...
Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 PM

so your post is kinda confusing, mostly the part below.

Originally Posted by Edionne13
:/ now my truck won't turn over just try and try runs runs and does turn over...
so does it turn over or not? and what engine/ year
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you dumped fuel injectors into your gas tank, and now your engine will run but it wont turn over... im confused
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Inu

Normaly an octane booster wont stop an engine from starting. Some offroad only boosters have lead( dont remeber proper name of hand) which piosons catalytic converters with use, hence off road only. Either way if you have the drain in the bottom of your tank drain, fill with fresh gas, and trigger fuel pump for a minute or so should clear the rail.

Im assuming you also saying you replaced the afm not maf, check that everthing is pluged in, intakes on and tight. My gut says its an issue with the repair not the octane booster. Next time just get a straight fuil injection cleaner like seafoam or lucas.
Goodluck let us know if somthing changes or not.

Last edited by Inu; 07-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 PM

You could try hooking up to a different fuel tank to see if the engine still runs. You could also try using some starting fluid to get it going, my guess is that the octane is too high for your system to ignite?

Best bet is to drain the tank and fill it with new gas. Be careful when doing this. A siphon is probably safe.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Edionne13
I just put my new to me MAF mine had failed and had cause my check engine light ran rough at times. So why not just buy fuel injector also I did that BUTi had accidently grabbed the wrong one. Mac high octane says it'll raise your octane level 7-10 more off road use only. I wanted the one right next to it. :/ now my truck won't turn over just try and try runs runs and does turn over. Can I siphon the gas? Put clean gas and fuel injectors in and will that work? Please don't tell me I just f***** my engine over I'm 18 and first pick up and don't have the funds for an engine rebuild or swap...

Soooooo, you need to reword your post, I don't understand a dang ol thing you said.......
Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 PM

I'll try and translate. I'm recently out of high school.

> My Mass airflow sensor failed and was causing my engine to run rough and my check engine light to turn on. I purchased a used unit and installed it, and while I was at it, I bought a bottle of injector cleaner. I believe I grabbed the wrong bottle, as this one is for off road use only and raises your octane level by 7-10.

Now my truck doesn't catch on turnover, and I'm not sure what to do. Can I siphon the gas out and put clean gas in? I hope I didn't f*** my engine, because I'm 18 and this is my first car. I don't have the money for an engine rebuild or swap.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 PM

The "octane booster" which doesn't do anything, only increases the Octane by 0.012% ( made up number but it is very low) has nothing to do with it not running.
Check over the engine. Anything unplugged? Plugs fouled? How much has is in your tank? Was anything else done to your vehicle before the no start symptom?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Don't think it would fry your motor, are you sure the part you got is in working order? Might go over everything you did and see if you might have overlooked something.

Raising your octane level shouldn't cause any harm I used to run 102 in my el camino when I could find it and it was fine
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Inu

Originally Posted by Smilemon
> My Mass airflow sensor failed and was causing my engine to run rough and my check engine light to turn on. I purchased a used unit and installed it,
Pop the old one back in see if your used part is fubared.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

thing is his code was #24 being the Air Intake temp circuit

Why he swapped in another AFM of dubious quality one wonders.

I would venture the injector cleaner or Octane booster has nothing to do with the no start condition.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 AM

Take a deep breath. I've been in your shoes before and it's easy to let your mind go to the worst possible scenario, but the worst thing possible is rarely what's wrong.

As others have posted, go back to the things you've changed. Start simple. It's like if you get off course in the woods. Backtrack to the last spot you knew where you were, then proceed on your proper course. Don't try to cut accross more unknown country to get back on track or you will end up more lost.

So think about everything that you changed and double check all connections and parts. I agree with taking off your "new" part and putting the old one back on. Make sure everything is correct when you swap it. It should fire and still run rough, like it used to do so. If it doesn't, then I'd worry about getting the gas out of the tank. The "off road use" only specification on the addittive is probably just because it would make your emissions illegal for street use. I highly doubt this what's causing your engine to not start.

For future work, try changing one thing at a time if possible, so if something is wrong, you'll know where to look fix it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by gigatech88
The "octane booster" which doesn't do anything, only increases the Octane by 0.012% ( made up number but it is very low) has nothing to do with it not running.
Check over the engine. Anything unplugged? Plugs fouled? How much has is in your tank? Was anything else done to your vehicle before the no start symptom?
wow nice translate I just typed it like crap. Anyways... Yeah I had a valve cover gasket. But it ran rough and it still ran so should I syphon the gas or not? I'm checked all lines I messed with all are in
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
thing is his code was #24 being the Air Intake temp circuit

Why he swapped in another AFM of dubious quality one wonders.

I would venture the injector cleaner or Octane booster has nothing to do with the no start condition.
Son of a b***** I just should have read more. I swapped it in thinking that was the issue of the AFM but you're saying its that little plug the goes into the AFM?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 AM

http://www.jcwhitney.com/1993-1995-t...93-1995j1.jcwx

Should have replaced this to get rid of error code #24...?

So get the gas out of tank or keep it in?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM

leave the gas in. Drive a lot, fill it up again.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM

I can't drive it... It won't start is my issue later on today I plan to swap the AFM with my old one see if there's an issue with that buddy of mine would just have to pay him cheap for it. Keep you guys updated any help with getting my pickup running again. Ill see if the check engine light is gone diagnose it again
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM

So swapped the to the original AFM and it'll start like a champ soon as I give some throttle dies out. Buddy says he'll give me one for free. Instead of me paying 250 for one at napa good deal.

Quick Reply: Worst thing imaginable ..