Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wiring Harness Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Harness Questions

Hello,
I have recently acquired somewhat of a I guess Frankenstein Toyota. The body and possibly frame is an 87 that has been SAS'd with 85 axles and a 22RE swap. I am trying to figure out some wiring. I have three plugs coming out for the dash wiring, and only one plug coming out of of the fuse box in the drivers foot well. I am trying to figure out what I have going on without just power probing each wire to figure out what it goes to. Is there an adapter that I need that will join the two? Picture below...

Sorry for the terrible picture on this one. I also need an extension piece if available that goes to the rear electrical. I have a plug coming out the passenger footwell, then the wiring comes up through the floor below the passenger seat.

Last one I hope... where is the factory fuel pump wiring for the 22RE? It doesn't appear to be in the harness in the rear, and I can't seem to locate a fuse for it anywhere.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Pretty sure the fuel pump/tail lights tie into the dash harness. It normally runs up along the door sill to the ecu area. I have a truck stripped down so I could take a peek real quick. I'm pulling the harness and such, so might be up for sale.

Somewhere around the front suspension is a vin number on the main frame. I've never looked but you could figure out what year frame you have. The cab has a sticker in the door jam, and the pre 89 trucks have a plate under the hood with a model and vin numbers. 89+ trucks the vin's just on the door jam and model etc is there too. Would be a good idea to figure out what exactly everything is, so you can guess years of the harnesses and such.

The wire harnesses also have a spot with a part number on them, probably not easy to find while installed though. I'd suggest getting a good factory service manual for the years any of the parts match on the wiring.

Anyway, I think the big connector on the left plugs into the fuse/relay block on the left side there. I'm not really sure on the other wires currently, probably things relating to the column, delay wipers etc. The pink/purple wires should be the driver's side speaker, I have a truck over here with them cut off too and had to look at what they were for.

FYI, just because things can plug together, doesn't mean it's pinned the same. I've learned that the hard way with a T100. Only burned up all 3 coils and igniter.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is a Toyota nothing surprises anymore in the number of different years of parts

Are we talking Pick Up ??

Look at the drivers door on the pillar and tell us the production date

Why do you feel you have a 22RE swapped in ??

All those plugs should have a place to plug into

It is helpful to see the plugs head on

It is possible the 3 on the right plug into the combination Meter

The one on the Left might go the the Combination Switch Head lights and Turn Signals
Old 03-31-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I looked at the pickup I'm parting out, and the connectors you show didn't match what I have in person. 4runner might be different than pickup though. The only wires I saw in that general area were for the dash light dimmer, clutch cancel button (stick only, the ect for autos normally) and deck lamp switch.

For the harness from tailights to body harness, the wire normally runs behind the ecu and appears to tie into the dash harness. I didn't get it pulled yet, but it's behind EVERYTHING including the dash frame. The lead wire is quite long so shouldn't be hard to miss unless it's cut off.