Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wiring harness from 94 runner to 90 motor... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring harness from 94 runner to 90 motor... HELP!

I dropped a motor from a 94 4runner to my 90 4runner and the harness hooks up in most places. Except where the ECU is under the passenger side dash there are 2 clips behing where the ECU bolts... 1 fits and the other is too big, then there is one clip going into the tranny that is also too big. Is there an easy fix or are they just not going to fit? I dont know what the one where the ECU is, is for and the other to the tranny I was going to trany and just pull the wires and putthem into the old clip.. Will that work? Everything has been going smooth except those 2 clips. Im going to have to swap alternators as well. I thought this would be fairly simple since they are the same motors but I guess not. already have the motor dropped and just gotta pull the tranny a little closer to bolt it up. These 2 clips are putting a hold on my swap... Any tips? Its an automatic also so the wiring sucks, wish it was a 5 speed/: Ill post a picture of the 2 odd balls. Hoping to have this fixed tomorrow since thats really the only thing holding me back... Any help is greaty appreciated especially in this time of stress and anger

This is the harness behind the ECU, the part highlighted in yellow is the part that doesnt connect

This is the clip on the transmission. From what it looks like, both clips from both harnesses have 7 wires, I was planning on just swaping clips if that was possible. Who knew a 94 to 90 swap would be so dificult

Last edited by Jeremy11; 02-06-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Assuming this is a 3.0 V6?
Might help for the future to put more vehicle detsils in your signature or mention it before questions.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 AM

I hate to be negative, but I think you would be better off putting the original harness in and swapping out whatever sensors and other things that wont connect. Just switch them with the stuff off the old (94) motor. Once you get into wiring it will most likely be a nightmare... You could swap that connector for the trans with the other connector most likely, but you will need a pinout for both connectors... As for the other plug, I think the only thing you would be able to do is cut the one that wont fit off, male or female side, go to the dealer and buy some terminals that fit the old plug, crimp em on, i'd solder them, and then, according to another pinout, pop them in the correct holes on the plug. This route just sounds risky, time consuming, and expensive to me. (those terminals are like 2 bucks a pop) Pinouts for these are impossible to find btw. And even if you get it done all nice, there might be pins switched in the connector for the ecm and you could fry it... Like I said... just use the old harness and swap out anything with a connector on that motor that looks different. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 AM

Sorry yes its a 3.0. I'm going to swap trannies to fix that problem and found a thread that details the clips behind the ECU. Going to follow those diagrams and swap clips. The motor is coming from the 94 into my 90 body. Should be able to wrap this up pretty soon. Thanks for yalls input.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM

if the hole for the connector is the same, you might be able to just pull the pan and swap valve bodies? just a thought... Oh, can you post a link to the thread about the connectors? I swapped a 4.3 tbi in my truck and used the factory connectors there wired into the chevy harness... I ended up sitting there with a voltmeter turning the key on and off to figure out which wires had power when... It worked out, but I wouldn't mind knowing where the wires go to... eg. what fuses. Thanks! oh and let us know how it turns out
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM

This is the link I used but I dont know if its going to work considering the harnesses showed are labeled different then the actual harness I need
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-0l-v6-134673/
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Still sounds like your going to be pulling apart a connector? why don't you just swap sensors and use the original harness, wouldnt take but an hour or so...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM

The clips off the old harness from the 90 motor arent in all that great of shape. I have the wires and clips labeled already but the only thing is that there are some wires that are extra(90 harness doesnt have some wires 94 harness has and vice versa) Putting the harness from the 90 back in the truck on the 94 motor would work? I just dont want to have to pull the the motor apart to replace harnesses, although the deepest one is under the intake. Would it be possible to fix the 90 harness with clips from the 94 wherever it needs? Swapping ECM's and keeping the old harness wouldn't cause any problem? Now that I think about it swapping harnesses would be a bit easier than swapping trannies and breaking up connectors but I dont want to take the risk of screwing with the computer... You might have convinced me, I guess it will save time
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM

I don't see how using the old harness would cause problems, especially if you swap any different sensors etc. Oh and the one under the intake should be the same shouldnt it? why dont you cut and splice that one in the old harness so you don't have to pull the intake? I was going to put a 95 3.0 in my 88 that had a 3.0 and there were several big differences. Just make sure to take anything from the old motor and put on the new if it is different, just so the ecu wont get confused. But say the new motor has 3 extra sensors (it doesnt just an example) the old ecu isn't going to care because it wasn't designed to use those extra sensors. It sounds like a nightmare, but i think its a better option than any others. If anyone disagrees please chime in.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Yeahh well I got the harnesses swapped, only problem i had was with the one cluster against the firewall behind the intake manifold. Got it sort of figured out and 1 wire was left. All in all I got the harness and everything wired up, now the job for tomorrow is bolting up the tranny, putting on the belts and radiator and it should crank right up. Also going to have to put my old AC compressor on it since the hoses done fit right, but that can wait. Do you know what the 4 sensors are for behind the intake manifold and drivers side valve cover? some sort of cooling sensors?

Last edited by Jeremy11; 02-08-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
the injectors ,distributor and alternator should have different plugs between the 90 and 94 some of the sensors at the back of the intake also .. just swap those over along with the 90 harness .
basically its easiest to just use the 94 long block and everything else from the 90
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM

if you need an alt i'll trade ya i have an 88 and need one for a 95 (i know you prob have the one from the 90 still but just figured i'd ask lol)

Last edited by Leviticus6432; 02-08-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 PM

the injectors ,distributor and alternator should have different plugs between the 90 and 94 some of the sensors at the back of the intake also .. just swap those over along with the 90 harness .
basically its easiest to just use the 94 long block and everything else from the 90
I didnt have any problem with the injector clips, did swap alternators and distributor. I swapped the distributors, but the stem was a tad different? Should I leave it since it fit in well or should I splice the sensor going into to the distributor and leave the 94 in there? Other than that the temp cooling sensors, I tried my best to match them up, my 90 harness did have 1 extra wire though.

if you need an alt i'll trade ya i have an 88 and need one for a 95 (i know you prob have the one from the 90 still but just figured i'd ask lol)
Yeahh i used the alternator from the 90 but I am parting out the donot. ITs a 94 and everything is there except the motor...