Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wipers - No Int, Mist or Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Wipers - No Int, Mist or Park

Hello all!

My 1990 Pickup windshield wipers do not work in intermittent mode and they also do not park when they're shut off. As well, the washer fluid does not spray.

Does this point to a bad wiper stalk or would there be multiple sources to this problem? How is the wiper stalk removed, and is it worth buying one at a junkyard?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There is a green box in the passenger kick panel that controls the delay. I have seen several of them burnt up. You remove the kick panel and you will see the box. It will look ok from what you can see. When you remove the green box from its mounting tab, on the back side you will see the green cover is melted. I would bet that is part of your problem.

Just going by experience, I have yet to see a wiper stalk to fail. You would be better off replacing the whole assembly which is your blinker, wiper, horn... You will need to rent a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel, undo some electrical plugs under the steering column and four screws that hold the assembly on. Before looking at the wiper stalk, I would see what the green box looks like on the back side.

Buying one from a junkyard is a good idea, but I would suggest cleaning the electrical contacts to your hi and low beams on the assembly.

On your washer pump, it can freeze up. There again going by experience, I have not seen one fail. Pull the pump and run some leads from the pump to the battery and see if it is working. If the pump is frozen, I have reversed the leads, which makes the motor go in forward and reverse. I have gotten pumps to work doing that and still working. Just connect the leads for one or two seconds at a time. It has freed a pump up for me in the past and also will tell you if the pump is good or if you have a problem elsewhere. The green box does not control the washer pump as far as I know.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
There is a green box in the passenger kick panel that controls the delay. I have seen several of them burnt up. You remove the kick panel and you will see the box. It will look ok from what you can see. When you remove the green box from its mounting tab, on the back side you will see the green cover is melted. I would bet that is part of your problem.

The only box I can see here behind the passenger side kick panel is the ECU, I'm assuming that no Int wipers does not mean ECU replacement? I was wary of removing the ECU to check for anything behind it. Is there a second location for this timer/relay for intermittent wipers?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am more familiar with the 84-88 models the green box will be behind the ECU as shown in the picture and a little to the top. Just unbolt the two bolts on the floor board and the one bolt on the A-Pillar and let the ECU lay on the floor.

The green box slides onto a metal tab at the top. It is brittle plastic and I have had the plastic that mounts to the tab to break. I then have to use a zip tie to remount the green box in some cases.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine failed the same way, 93, Mine was the wiper motor failed cause of no park. No mist, and not intermediate. I found a schematic and tested the stalk controls. found the stalk to be bad. replaced both motor and stalk, all is good now. Found the stalk in a junkyard and motor at autozone.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is the green box, I have seen the box melted on the back side. At the top is the clip that is easily broken. Without running some electrical test, it is a hit or miss. This is what I have mostly experienced.

Name:  IMG_20160114_065958_zpse3tdpums.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  255.7 KB
Old 01-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went through this on an 88 truck. Not sure about the 90's but in 88 there is no green box, everything is controlled through the wiper stalk in the column. My symptoms were no intermittent and no park. Tested the wiper motor per FSM and found it shorted inside. Installed used eBay motor and all is good. As for the washer not spraying unplug the washer motor and hook a test light between the terminals (should just be two) turn the key on and push the button if the light lights then you have a bad or stuck washer motor, if it doesn't light then you need to pull a wiring diagram and check to see if your missing power or ground and backtrack the circuit.