Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wiper motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiper motor replacement

The wipers on my truck haven't been working for a while. They were last used during a heavy thunderstorm, and I guess the wiper motor just gave up after that. I did check the fuse box, and none of the fuses were burned. I suspect that the motor burned out, and I doubt there's a problem with the wiper switch.

What I would like to confirm is are all Toyota Pickup/4Runner wiper motors from '84 to '95 interchangeable? Are there wiper motors from other cars I can use instead? There's a huge scarcity of locally available spare parts where I live, so it would be convenient if I can use a wiper motor from a different car. I also refuse to buy one online unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks,
Old 12-22-2016, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
86 and older is the round plug, 88 is the square plug, I think the 87 is a square plug but could be wrong. The motors are the same but you will need the correct plug and Toyota did change the wiring color on two of the wires from square plug to the round plug and dont know which two wires were switched. There may be other models that interchange but I dont know about that.

85/86
Name:  20161222_172607_zpskmsdyj7k.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  211.1 KB

87? 88/89
Name:  20161222_172524_zps97maaonx.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  276.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-22-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Oddly, my motor has the square plug rather than the round one like an '86 apparently should have.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I may have my years in correct, but I do know of the 2 different plug connectors on the wiper. I am sure if you posted a Want Ad, someone has one laying around. I would make sure you post the plug that you need for yours in a picture as some may not be aware of the 2 different plugs. I have worked different years of trucks and know about them. Someone with only one truck may not know of the plug differences.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoKev86
The wipers on my truck haven't been working for a while. They were last used during a heavy thunderstorm, and I guess the wiper motor just gave up after that. I did check the fuse box, and none of the fuses were burned. I suspect that the motor burned out, and I doubt there's a problem with the wiper switch.
... I also refuse to buy one online unless I absolutely have to...
Guessing that the motor gave up might be correct, but it could also be an expensive guess. Before I started searching for a motor I'd use my multimeter to confirm that the switch is working, and that the motor is not. This could help (wrong year, but it might be close): http://tacoma.site40.net/4Runner_90-...i/frwiperw.pdf

Just for scale, you can get a replacement motor from RockAuto for just under $70. If you're allergic to "online," they do have a phone number.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Guessing that the motor gave up might be correct, but it could also be an expensive guess. Before I started searching for a motor I'd use my multimeter to confirm that the switch is working, and that the motor is not. This could help (wrong year, but it might be close): http://tacoma.site40.net/4Runner_90-...i/frwiperw.pdf

Just for scale, you can get a replacement motor from RockAuto for just under $70. If you're allergic to "online," they do have a phone number.
I have more multimeters laying around than I need, so I'll definitely do that to check.

I like to try to see if I can obtain parts locally first before resorting to online shopping.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I dont know if your has the Wiper Delay option but one problem I have experienced with wipers and dont remember if the Wipers or the Delay feature would not work. On the passenger kick panel, there is a green box for the Delay option. The green box is mounted in the A pillar, one quick check you can do is to pull the green box off of the pillar and see if the back side of the box is melted. I have seen that a few times working on these trucks.

Below is the green box I was working on today and to show where it is at.

Copied....
The harness I am installing did not have Wiper Delay installed on it. I have installed Wiper Delay in other trucks. It has been a while since I have done it but if I recall correctly all you need is the Wiper Stalk on the Steering Column and the Wiper Delay boxand Wiper Delay Harness in the passenger kick panel.

In the Passenger Kick Panel, if you have this jumper installed, your truck does not have the Wiper Delay.
Name:  20161222_171327_zps73gcdov9.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  224.4 KB

Remove the jumper and connect the Wiper Harness to the Wiper Delay box. One end of the harness will go where the factory jumper was at and there is another plug that is taped up from the factory tucked up inside with the rest of the Main Harness. You will need to get the Stalk for the Steering Column.
Name:  20161222_171441_zpswkcvw9ut.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  227.4 KB

Where my finger is pointing is where the top of the Wiper Delay box mounts inside the A Pillar. On EFI trucks you will need to remove the computer to access the mounting tab.
Name:  20161222_171518_zpsimkkllas.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  173.8 KB[