86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wiper fuse keeps blowing/tailgate window

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper fuse keeps blowing/tailgate window

Hoping someone else ran into this. Found one thread on a search thats similar, but not the same.

1993 4runner 3.0-5 speed

Wife drives this one. Says..... the front wiper stops working and the tailgate window wont go up and down by using the switch in the center console. However, the window will still go up and down by using the key on the tailgate

Fine....I check the wiper fuse and its blown. replace it with another 20amp. Now wipers work and the switch in the center console lets the window go up and down. Ta Dah.......

Calls back later, wiper and center console switch doesnt work again? key still works on gate. huh, check fuse and blown again. I replace, drive the thing around for 5-10 minutes using the wipers, rolling rear window up and down, doing both at the same time. Everything checks out.

She tries both parts again later that day, no go....fuse popped again. I replace fuse and say dont use window by switch or key. dont use wiper. Couple driving trips go by during the day and I have her test the wiper. blown again......?

Its blowing the wiper fuse only, and seems even when wiper or window not in use? (ive tried twice where ive told her not to use, and check at later time)

Anybody know why it would blow a wiper fuse even when not using the wipers? its summer here so theyre not in use. Guessing a short, but not sure where to start and hoping someone pipes up and says "mine did that too, heres what I did"

As a side note, speedo is acting up also, doesnt always work. I think its prolly a separate issue, but thought worth mentioning just in case related. Oh, speedo is electric. all other gauges work, tach and odo works even when speedo doesnt. wiggled wires on transfer case and didnt help. sometimes a few trusty whacks to the dash gets it to work, but not always.

Anyway, help on why the wiper fuse is blowing just from driving would be very helpful.

thanks all

Last edited by norcal98; 08-27-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If it is blowing while driving I would guess it is a short somewhere. If it is blowing while being used, the tracks can get dry and make it hard for the motor to push or pull the window. I would try some silicone spray in the tracks. You will need to work the silicone into the tracks a few times to get it slick again. Also the spray works great on manual windows. I have seen them so hard to roll up or down that it strips the teeth out of the handle but work the spray in the tracks and you can roll the window with two fingers.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Time to trade the wife in for a newer model.

One that does not blow the fuse

Ask her or try yourself for some reason she might be using the rear washer pump that might be shorted causing the issue.

Being it happens to her and you make no mention of using it
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Most likely a short in the front wiper circuit.

Find a schematic (Sorry I have a 22RE), and inspect all your wires connected to front wiper circuit.

Check your schematic. On 22RE:
1) Console switch takes power from "Ignition" fuse circuit, so it would only work when ignition is on.
2) Rear window key/switch works directly off the battery, through a circuit breaker, so it works even with Ignition off.
3) Rear window key/switchdoes not activate the wiper circuit so using that will not blow your wiper fuse.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-27-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine did that too, heres what I did

So I think I got it. Thought Id post a reply to finish it up in case years from now, somebody else does a search like I was.(nothing like finding a thread of somebody with similar prob, but they never say what the solution was)

I tested the wiper motor for about 15 minutes and ran fine, no fuse blown. Ran the switch for the front washer pump a few times and didnt blow fuse(rear was suggested, but wife knows better to use that one cause it makes it so the window wont work until i get home and start moving the rear arm by hand).

I took the 4runner to get my son from school and popped it on the ride over. Dang, looks like its gonna be a short and no idea where to start

I first fixed the speedo first because I didnt want to deal with wiper. While putting dash back together, the right headlight wasnt turning on. ughh this too, took battery out and washer reservoir out, looked at the little pump and that thing was exploded/corroded, Im sure those exposed wires from the inside guts dangling from the plug were bouncing around when vehicle was moving.

So turned out to be a short like I was guessing, as well as the people who posted were thinking. I was just hoping that somebody may have had a similar situation and had an idea of a trouble spot of where to start looking. Fortunately I tripped over mine.

So anybody else in the future looking for possible trouble spot, my trouble spot was the washer pump that basically disintegrated and the exposed metal/wire connections dangling from plug.

Last edited by norcal98; 08-27-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Glad to know you got it fixed. Got pix of that pump?