Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield wipers. Who has this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield wipers. Who has this problem?

Now I got your attention let me have your ear hole for a min... I would imagine that anyone who has opened this thread has a wiper problem or two.

Here is where I loose 90% of you.

The Problem I'm referring to is Not your average problem, Maybe a hand full of people have run into this, and it does not excite to be one of them. I have searched for the last few years for the fix because it evades me still. And with no luck In finding a fix online nor the countless hours spent messing with it. Figured Ide post it up and see what happens.

The problem

Wipers always run at medium speed, but high speed worked correctly no matter where the switch is placed.

I checked the fused box, and the fuse was blown, so I replaced the fuse. Now with the fuse in or out the damn wipers wont turn off. The wiper stay on medium speed weather the switch is in the off, slow, or medium speed, but run at high speed when in the high position.

Replaced the switch, motor and any bad wiring. No change. Even went as far as to use a sniffer to follow all wire to there correct location with no shorts or fails.

As for the last two years I have been running a toggle switch with a power lead directly to the wiper motor witch allows me to run on one speed and if I need a faster/slower speed I have to get out of the truck and move the alligator clip to a different position.

I know by now Ive lost almost all, But I'm certain there is at least one out there that has figured this Bu!!crap out...

Thanks in advanced & please and thank you.
Zack S.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-16-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Changed title name due to trying to bypass language rules
Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Do the wipers still park correctly when you turn them off??
Old 12-16-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Do the wipers still park correctly when you turn them off??
Millball...

Well I don't know how to answer that, Because they will never actually stop? With fuse in or out there in constant motion at all times. The only time they will actually stop is by turning the ignition in the off position. Like when you pull in a parking lot and turn the key off they just stop in any position they were in.

Now having said that (its been a couple years since I have messed with it) I remember that in my searches and finding I stumbled upon a test to test the stop or return to zero test and everything checked out on the wiper motor. Don't quiet remember how the test went but a series of jumping wires if I remember correctly.

What do you think? And thank you for the quick response.

Zack
Old 12-16-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
The device that parks the wipers is inside the wiper gearcase. It relies on a position switch and a wire that is hot whether or not the wipers are turned on.

I think its very likely that your problem is internal to the wiper gearcase mechanism.

Last edited by millball; 12-16-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by highntight

Wipers always run at medium speed, but high speed worked correctly no matter where the switch is placed.

I checked the fused box, and the fuse was blown, so I replaced the fuse. Now with the fuse in or out the damn wipers wont turn off. ...Even went as far as to use a sniffer to follow all wire to there correct location with no shorts or fails.
The only power to the Wiper and Washer is through the 20A Wiper fuse. If the wipers continue to run with that fuse removed, then you have a short somewhere providing 12v (at a fair amount of amps) to the blue-black wire. The whole point of "sniffing" the wires is to find that short.

So test that directly. Remove the fuse, put your multimeter on the Blue-Black wire. Do you have 12v? disconnect it at the switch, test for voltage on pin 8 of the switch. That should have no voltage (continuous to ground in fact) with the switch to off and the wipers parked.

Once you get that part straightened out, a failure of the "park" switch in the wiper motor assembly will cause your problem; the blades are just looking for home and cannot find it.