Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Windshield Install??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Install??

So I picked up a 91 4runner for pretty cheap about a month ago. it had been flopped onto its side and when i went to get the windshield replaced the body and a pillars turned out to be tweaked. Needless to say I've had safelite come out 3 times already after my attempts to straighten it up and they still havent been able to get it in. Now there is only about 1/4" gap inbetween the windshield and the a pillar. So my question is that if i have them come out one more time and they still cant get it in the "correct way" can I just buy the windshield from it and install it with some high grade silicon and get that to work? Or do you guys have any other ideas that might help me out? The body is extremely close to where it needs to be.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The mechanical strength of the roof, and to an even greater extent the retention of the windshield in an accident, is very dependent on how tightly the windshield is held in the frame. That's why they are so difficult to remove.

I don't have any particular insight into tests done by Toyota, but I would be rather fearful of a windshield held in only with "high grade silicon." Not only the risk it would pop out in an accident, but I'm going to guess that it will vibrate slightly with road stress and repeatedly open up the silicone joint (leading to leaks).

But its your truck and your health. Just be careful out there.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
The mechanical strength of the roof, and to an even greater extent the retention of the windshield in an accident, is very dependent on how tightly the windshield is held in the frame. That's why they are so difficult to remove.

I don't have any particular insight into tests done by Toyota, but I would be rather fearful of a windshield held in only with "high grade silicon." Not only the risk it would pop out in an accident, but I'm going to guess that it will vibrate slightly with road stress and repeatedly open up the silicone joint (leading to leaks).

But its your truck and your health. Just be careful out there.
Agreed!!

Possibly take it to a body shop and see what they think and what needs to be done. Is there any issues with the doors not shutting or anything else, I mean if the cab is tweaked it could get ugly.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it didn't look so bad when I picked it up but it's going to get chopped up pretty good but it drills needs to be street legal, I figured I would get it in as close as possible with the install kit and just fill in the gaps with the silicone
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Keep hammering, just takes some patience.

Silicone is just used for small leaks in the window glue, not a good idea to fil any major gaps.

If you want to cut your losses and just get it over with try sourcing a new pillar from the salvage yard.

If you plan to chop the top might aswell do it now, it'll save you cash and time. Much easier to straighten the pillar if it's only attached on one side, and you might be able to cut out the part thats causng the gap. And if you need a custom piece of glass no sense putting in the stock sized one.