Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Window Wil Not Go Up (NEED HELP PLEASE)

Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Wil Not Go Up (NEED HELP PLEASE)

I have a 1995 4 runner and the passanger side front window is half way down, and It will not go up. It will go down more, but not up. Any idears of how to get it back up and what the problem might be. Is there any fuses that control this? Any help please.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Shall I assume you have power windows....? I shall.

If your window motor is still getting power to go down, a bad fuse is unlikely. My best bet is that your switch has failed. I've had them burn out before, especially if they have gotten wet.

Maybe the DS switch bank will still wind it up? You might be able to take a switch from the back doors and swap it. Of course, that back door will now be bad.

Worse case... you should be able to take the bad switch out completely and cross some wires to at least get the window closed.

One more thing. try and pull up on the window with the switch in the up position. Sometimes the glass can bind or have to much drag on the runners for the motor to close it again.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Shall I assume you have power windows....? I shall.

If your window motor is still getting power to go down, a bad fuse is unlikely. My best bet is that your switch has failed. I've had them burn out before, especially if they have gotten wet.

Maybe the DS switch bank will still wind it up? You might be able to take a switch from the back doors and swap it. Of course, that back door will now be bad.

Worse case... you should be able to take the bad switch out completely and cross some wires to at least get the window closed.

One more thing. try and pull up on the window with the switch in the up position. Sometimes the glass can bind or have to much drag on the runners for the motor to close it again.
I did try as you said pullig up on the window with the switch in the up position, but no luck.

I will wait till tomorrow to see what I can do as it is very cold and dark out. I guess plactic over the window for the nite.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the switch bank on the Passenger side of my 4Runner has never allowed the window to go back up, only down.

I would definately try to just get it up with the Driver side bank first.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
the switch bank on the Passenger side of my 4Runner has never allowed the window to go back up, only down.

I would definately try to just get it up with the Driver side bank first.
I tried both the switch bank as well as the passenger sitd switch with no luck. Would the switch bank effect the passenger side switch it it is bad. I also want to point out is that the passenger switch is the one that will only let it go down, but not up, and it dosn't do it at all times.

Also, could it be a bad motor?