Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Window track Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window track Install

Hello everyone...

I've got my new set of window tracks for the 94 SR5, and i'm having difficulty installing them.....

At first, i tried it with the door closed and the window halfway down, alighned with the arms, however the window will just not squeeze into the tracks.....

Is there an easier meathod to do this ??? i just can't get the leverage to seat the window in the tracks.

any help would be appreaciated. !!!!

Thanks !!!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Remove the window. Pull it out so its pointing out of the truck. Then you should be able to guide it into the tracks from the top...
Old 05-25-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Remove the window. Pull it out so its pointing out of the truck. Then you should be able to guide it into the tracks from the top...

Na, the window just doesn't guide into the tracks, it squeezes into them. I can alighn the window on the tracks, but getting them to fit in the rubber tracks with the inserts is pretty tight.

Does anyone have a better way of fitting the bottom of the window into the tracks??

Perhaps open the tail gate and install the window into the tracks/arms from the open position??
Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
yep ... soap .. liquid soap works awesome .

pull the window out , and put the new track on .. then install the window back in the door .

Last edited by slacker; 05-25-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You should definitely be doing this with the glass out of the tailgate. Fold a thick blanket in half a few times to make a nice soft "cushion", put the top edge of the glass on the "cushion", lube up the glass and rubber insert with liquid dish soap (as slacker mentioned), then push it down onto the glass. It goes on tight, but the soap will really help. I used a rubber mallet and gently tapped them on (while the glass was resting on the blanket).
Old 05-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
You should definitely be doing this with the glass out of the tailgate. Fold a thick blanket in half a few times to make a nice soft "cushion", put the top edge of the glass on the "cushion", lube up the glass and rubber insert with liquid dish soap (as slacker mentioned), then push it down onto the glass. It goes on tight, but the soap will really help. I used a rubber mallet and gently tapped them on (while the glass was resting on the blanket).
Okay, I got my window glass out. It easily came off the remaining track, and slid out the top of the tailgate (the tailgate is down). BUT, if I put the tracks onto the bottom of the glass, the glass isn't going to fit back into the gap without removing that inside molding, which is being held by the tailgate handle and lock. How do I get those dang things off?

Second, assuming I get the guides on the glass, and through the opening (with molding out), how am I going to get the rollers on the end of the regulator arms into those tracks?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, I got the inside molding piece off. Hope I can get it back on later.

I'm going to get the new tracks and rubbers mounted on the glass now. Then see if I can figure out how I'll get it all situated so that I can get the knobs on the regulators into the tracks. Hopefully I'll have a "Eureka!" moment.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation

I'm stumped. I know that the answer is right in front of me, but I don't see it.

How do I get this together -- the rollers at the end of the regulator arms into the tracks on the channel assembly? Pics:

I can't move the window side-to-side because it's in the side tracks. The rollers look to be permanently attached to the arms. So . . . ???
Old 05-30-2009, 04:35 PM

you need to unbolt the whole regulator assy ... 4bolts ... so you can move the assembly back and forth , thus enabling you to move the arms and the rollers into the tracks .

Old 05-30-2009, 04:37 PM

ohhhh .. and make sure you put just a dab of grease on the roller track as well .... so it just moves easier .

hope that helps .

and did the liquid soap work for you ? or did you use another methoud ?

Last edited by slacker; 05-30-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, slacker -- that did the trick! I had to unsnap some of the wiring clips, which were holding it back from moving side to side, but once I did that I got everything lined up perfectly. It's all back together, and working awesomely.

The liquid soap helped. But I did it a little differently than others, I think. I put the rubber pieces on the glass first, then used the soap to help me put the channel assembly over the rubber. I tried it the other way first, but there was no way I was going to get them on the glass already put together.

Thanks guys, without Yotateck I probably wouldn't have tried to do this myself in the first place. Feels really good to have fixed this myself.