86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

will not start after new radiator!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will not start after new radiator!

ok so the back story is i was on my way home from work when i hear and feel a loud bang under the truck....i thought i ran something over so i was making my way to the exit to get off the free way and check things out, when the truck started ticking loudly then died...as im coming off the free way towards the feeder road. i was luckly able to cost into a gas staition and park. as soon as i did, steam came pouring out from the hood. i pop the hood to find the radiator had split all the way across the top. so i get it towed home, put the new radiator in and go to start it and .....nothing. it will turn over but will not start. It was making a popping noise for a while from that little electrical box on top of the air filter, but that has stopped now too. Any ideas on where to start trying to fix this thing ??

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Year, model, engine size would be a good start.
Do you have fuel, air, spark?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 AM

Ha yeah guess that would be helpful, sorry about that

86 4 runner with a 22re.

im getting fuel and spark, not sure about air. what is that little box ontop of the air filter box? i took it off and its got a little door in it that is spring loaded, that was definitely
the little knocking i was hearing was that thing opening and closing.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 AM

Air Flow Meter. Use the link in my signature to download the 1984-1989 Toyota 4Runner FSM, and look at the diagnostic section to test.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That little box is your air flow meter. Don't mess with it. The only thing your can do is check to make sure it is not sticking and it open and closes freely.

The air flow meter provides the circuit to turn on your fuel pump. Check to see if you are getting fuel to the fuel rail or cold start injector. If your are then the AFM is working. You will have to check other things...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Sounds good, Thanks guys, i'll let you know how this goes.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM

wow ok so its been a while but i've finally got the time to work on the truck. Replaced the AFM and it still will not start. how do you check if you are getting fuel to the fuel rail or cold start injector?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Crack the line on the cold start injector open and see if you get fuel. You can also jumper power to the pump via the diagnostic connector next to your fuse box under the hood. My bet would be something that got coated in coolant isn't happy about it, check through your ignition, especially pop the distributor cap off and dry it out if you see moisture.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just how hot did this get??

When your radiator split do you have any idea what caused this.

I think do a compression check! If it got hot enough to blow a head gasket might just be cylinder to cylinder and no coolant .

Even with spark and fuel lack of compression will cause a no start issue.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
x2 for Wyoming

Before I got through all the replies, my initial idea is that the thermostat stuck over pressurizing the rad causeing it to blow. This could also have been caused by a HG failure again pressurizing the coolant system with products of combustion and blowing the rad.

I hate to be the grim reaper, but I think you have more than just some wet sensors.

When you are trying to start the motor; does it sound normal? does it seem like it is spinning faster/slower? does it lope in sound?

You said just before it died you heard a ticking noise. That is usually a sign that the head and valves are getting real hot and hammering away.

Pull the plugs and have a look. Also check your oil for milk. And pull the valve cover to see if you timing chain is intact.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Based on the 9 months between the OP's posts, time probably didn't help either...
Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM

yeah the time spent sitting im sure did wonders for my problem. I checked the oil, no water or milk look to it, looks like good clean oil. the clicking noise was the vaine in the air flow meter opening and closing. it was doing it when we tried to start it after we installed the radiator as well then it just stopped and the AFM was dead.

I just checked and it seems the Fuel pump is not kicking on, so we are not getting fuel. i checked the lines on the fuel pump and it looks like im not getting power there? Checked the fuses in the kick panel on the drivers side and they are all intact. where do i go from there??

as far as what it sounds like during start up, it sounds fine, just turning over and not fireing. i checked the spark plugs and we are getting fire there.

any ideas.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Circuit Opening Relay maybe?? is there a way to test this?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Since you replaced the AFM, try propping it open with a screwdriver. If it is working, this will fool the ECU into thinking it is drawing air and will turn the fuel pump on. I've run into this problem before when I have a motor either way out of time, has a huge intake/vacuum leak, totally plugged air filter, or any other reason the AFM doesn't register air flow. Without a reading the pump WILL NOT come on.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Ok if i hold the flap down it kicks on and i get fuel to the cold start injector...not sure what to check next, is there a way to check and see if the cold start injector is working?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
might sound stupid, maybe you've already checked, but have you checked the EFI fuse?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM

Yep checked it first
Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM

heres an odd thought, the efi fuse is fine, but what if the fuse isn't getting power? is there a way to check the panel for power? (thats probably a really basic question , sorry if it is )
Old 10-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
use a test light; you can get them for a couple bucks at any parts store. don't even have to remove the fuse; that's what those two little openings on top of the fuse are for

are you positive you're getting fuel and spark? if so, how do you know? how did you test for it?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 AM

for testing the fuel i loosened the bolt on the back of the cold start injector, turned the key over while holding the flap in the afm and sprayed fuel everywhere for spark i pulled off one of the plug wires and put an old plug in it, turned the key over and had spark.
i dont have any water in my oil, but i guess i'll rent a compression tester and see if the HG is blown

Quick Reply: will not start after new radiator!