Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Will this effect alignment?

Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this effect alignment?

Put in a lot of new front end steering and suspension parts so I'm due for an alignment. Couldn't get the driver side camber bolts un-seized so I'm going to cut them out, and put in new ones along with new bushings for both sides. But I noticed the wall/bracket thing that the cam bolt pushes against is bent! Will this screw up my alignment and not allow camber/caster specs to line up? Possible damage from an accident?

This is the front driver side cam bolt. Only one that's like this. 90' 4runner.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Shouldn't affect the ability to align the front end - it will just change the "calibration" of the little marks on the cams slightly. I doubt most alignment shops ever look at those anyway. Could have happened if the cam bolt wasn't fully tight and the front end took a heavy shot from a curb or rock or something. If it matters to you just pull it off and hammer it straight while you're changing the cam bolts.

The friction from a properly tightened/torqued cam bolt is what holds the front end in alignment. That bracket and the cam with the marks on it are just for pushing things around for alignment purposes when it's on the rack.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RJR
Shouldn't affect the ability to align the front end - it will just change the "calibration" of the little marks on the cams slightly. I doubt most alignment shops ever look at those anyway. Could have happened if the cam bolt wasn't fully tight and the front end took a heavy shot from a curb or rock or something. If it matters to you just pull it off and hammer it straight while you're changing the cam bolts.

The friction from a properly tightened/torqued cam bolt is what holds the front end in alignment. That bracket and the cam with the marks on it are just for pushing things around for alignment purposes when it's on the rack.
Thanks! But now I've run into another potential alignment problem. I managed to remove one lower control arm so far but pushing out the old bushing wasn't as easy. I ended up, ever so slightly bending the control arm since I used a 50 ton hydraulic press lol Can this potentially screw up my alignment?

In the pic, neither bushings are pressed in yet, but you can see that one end sits flush and the other sticks out a bit. This is after bending it back using a porta power with a duck bill. Don't think I get get it to move anymore without breaking something. Yes I sandblasted and painted it

Name:  ocrTRFz.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  kghj0ww.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by mattyboi; 03-23-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Any bend is gonna impact your alignment

Search this Thread