Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will an 88 4Runner fuel tank fit an 89 PickUP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will an 88 4Runner fuel tank fit an 89 PickUP?

My fuel tank is leaking. I have a chance to buy a complete fuel tank from a 1988 4runner. I have done some research and it seems it will fit. That my old dependable truck and a picture of the fuel tank. I'm a Sculptor not a mechanic so I need some help from you experts. I have added a picture of my fuel tank. Looks nearly the same to me. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Will an 88 4Runner fuel tank fit an 89 PickUP?-50-.jpg   Will an 88 4Runner fuel tank fit an 89 PickUP?-tft.jpg   Will an 88 4Runner fuel tank fit an 89 PickUP?-p1010001.jpg  

Last edited by thesculptor; 06-26-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Add a picture
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On that truck you might could make it fit. The fill neck and vent tubes are oppisite of each other on the runner and trucks, but since the body/ bed isnt in the way it might. Otherwise no they are not interchangeable.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:41 PM

Fuel Tank.

Originally Posted by thesculptor
My fuel tank is leaking. I have a chance to buy a complete fuel tank from a 1988 4runner. I have done some research and it seems it will fit. That my old dependable truck and a picture of the fuel tank. I'm a Sculptor not a mechanic so I need some help from you experts. I have added a picture of my fuel tank. Looks nearly the same to me. Thanks
Thanks for that quick response. Now that you have seen my tank do you think they are very similar? TKS
Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

For a guess, I would think you could make it work, but it is just a guess.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:24 AM

No other opinion?

Well I'm picking up the tank in the morning. No other opinions on this? Thanks
Old 06-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Meausre the width and length for a better idea as well. What is wrong with your original tank? If it is rusty on the inside, I have cleaned several tanks. The tank you are getting maybe be rusty on the inside as well. All builds I have done below or elsewhere, the tanks are in bad shape and is one reason I posted alot of information in each of my builds to show what they are like in my climate. It is something that is over looked and is out of sight and out of mind. Check your return line a well since you are in to the fuel system.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:59 PM

Fuel Tank

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Meausre the width and length for a better idea as well. What is wrong with your original tank? If it is rusty on the inside, I have cleaned several tanks. The tank you are getting maybe be rusty on the inside as well. All builds I have done below or elsewhere, the tanks are in bad shape and is one reason I posted a lot of information in each of my builds to show what they are like in my climate. It is something that is over looked and is out of sight and out of mind. Check your return line a well since you are in to the fuel system.
Thanks for your help. I had to leave early this morning for the tank. Its the same length as mine. Looks to be in very good condition. I have posted a picture of where the rust is. Its on the seam and has expanded out, split. The thank I bought which is in my first question looks good to my eye. Its rust on the bottom. I'm getting ready to wire brush it then paint with rustoleum hammered finish. I see a sheild in one of your pictures. Mine had none. I plan to look for one and put it on later. Thanks for all your advice. Since I'm a sculptor and not a mechanic I will have a mechanic do the work so its done right. I had a hell of time replaceing the fuel filter which looked as if the mechanic I was taking the Truck to never replaced it. I will let you know how I make out.
Attached Thumbnails Will an 88 4Runner fuel tank fit an 89 PickUP?-p1010003a.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

If the runner tank does not work for you, you can take that tank and clean it up on the inside and then use Red Kote to seal the inside of the tank. It will seal up some good sized holes.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 AM

Leaky fuel tank

Originally Posted by Terrys87
If the runner tank does not work for you, you can take that tank and clean it up on the inside and then use Red Kote to seal the inside of the tank. It will seal up some good sized holes.
All I can say is Wow on the Red Kote. I asked all around for such a product and no one knew about this. I don't think I will need it with the new tank. But I will spread the word. I had to turn the new tank upside down to wire brush, sand it, and paint it. Is that a problem for the fuel pump? Damn I wish I had know about Red Kote before. Thanks for your experience. I just hope the new take has not other problems. My mechanic is on vacation till the 14th. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again. BTW I'm in Rhode Island and theres a guy here in West Greenwich that says he has the largest Toyota Junk Yard in the state. If anyone needs to know more email me.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is what I use. On any of my threads below, on the first few pages, I have info on cleaning them out and such. These tanks get in bad shape. Also check your Return line. It wont hurt the fuel pump being upside down. I would pull the Fuel Float if it was me. You will get a good view of the tank and see what it looks like. I have seen a quarter inch rust built up in them and it easy to clean with white vinegar. Takes a few days.

Name:  RedCoat.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  37.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-06-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:21 PM

89 Toyota Long bed with dual wheels, Guess what?

My mechanic called me yeterday to tell me the new tank I was assured would fit my truck is to tall and they cannot make it fit. Nice! I live in RI. Charles if you know him has already tried to find me a tank which he did but its the wrong one. I'm loosing money everday with out my truck. Does anyone know where I might find a tank to fit it? the VIN# is JT5VN94T7K0001693. Oy Vey! Thanks for you help!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Call and make sure this is for your truck. They should have one available.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Tank-Gas-Silver-Truck-17-Gallons-Toyota-Pickup-95-94-93-92-91-90-89-88-/370886440872?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1989%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3APickup&hash=item565a8df7a8&vxp=mtr
Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM

My mechanic called me yeterday to tell me the new tank I was assured would fit my truck is to tall and they cannot make it fit. Nice! I live in RI. Charles if you know him has already tried to find me a tank which he did but its the wrong one. I'm loosing money everday with out my truck. Does anyone know where I might find a tank to fit it? the VIN# is JT5VN94T7K0001693. Oy Vey! Thanks for you help!
Thanks! Those tanks were all sold. I picked up a new on on Amazon. What a nightmare this has been. I should have done that last week. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 PM

Fuel Tank. Oy Vey!

Thanks! Those tanks were all sold. I picked up a new on on Amazon. What a nightmare this has been. I should have done that last week. Thanks.
Anyone have a rope I can borrow? lol. Once again my mechanic has called me to say my fuel tank bracket is shot and the gas gauge sending unit. omg! Does anyone know where I can pick up either of these for a reasonable price? Toyota is outrageous! Also the units from the other tank are too long. My fuel tank bracket is only about 10" in length. As usual any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 PM

I found a fuel pump bracket, gas gauge sending unit, gaskets for both and the short rubber hose for the fuel pump all for $232.00. Finally!
I may have some information for you guys. I have found the parts I need at a very good price at this place. OEM Toyota Parts Group. 1-877-493-4580. Ask for Greg. He had the fuel pump bracket I needed for $138.99. They Toyota Dealer near me and the guy is a friend of mine could not get it for less than $200.00. Greg was very helpful. Thanks for your help as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

On a pickup especially, I spend a lot of extra time keeping on top of the tank clean. The way it sits under there is a good trap for dirt on it and on the frame as well. Yours being a flat bed is a little different but on the trucks with a regular bed, it needs extra attention. Glad to see you are about to get this problem fixed. I am sure it has been frustrating.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 PM

Fuel pump bracket, new problem. Oy Vie!

I found a fuel pump bracket, gas gauge sending unit, gaskets for both and the short rubber hose for the fuel pump all for $232.00. Finally!
I may have some information for you guys. I have found the parts I need at a very good price at this place. OEM Toyota Parts Group. 1-877-493-4580. Ask for Greg. He had the fuel pump bracket I needed for $138.99. They Toyota Dealer near me and the guy is a friend of mine could not get it for less than $200.00. Greg was very helpful. Thanks for your help as well.
Now I have a new problem. After they put the new tank in with the new fuel pump bracket, & the fuel pump that was in the old tank the fuel pump is not working correctly. I drove the truck home. It sat for an hour or so. I tried to start it, no luck. I took the rubber hose off the gas line from the tank to the fuel filter had someone try and start it, no gas pumping out. Had it towed to the mechanics. He tested the pump with some test equipment its not the pump. He checked a relay under the hood. That was ok. Then he said there was another circuit opening relay under the dash on the passengers side. I took that metal box out and could not find it anywhere. I don't know if he found the relay they didn't call today. I have been waiting for days to have this fixed. I don't blame him at all. Obviously hes stumped. Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The Circuit Opening Relay is right behind the passenger speaker cover. Will it run with the jumper in below? This will energize the pump. You do not want to keep it installed, just to see if the pump circuit is working. If so, then you can start looking at other issues. If not then you may have a bad pump or wiring.

Did he get the correct bracket? If it is the wrong one it may not be picking fuel up from the bottom. I would fill the tank and see if that makes a difference. These brackets do vary in length by alot. If he got one to short, it may just not be picking up fuel.

Fp +B Fuel Pump Test for 87 and newer. Use a paper clip for better results.
Name:  fpb_zpsc5e91bc0.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  85.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-08-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:01 AM

I made sure he measured the bracket before he sent it to me and I compared it to the old one. Aboiut 10~1/4" long. I will pass the info on to the mechanic today. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:34 PM

I just came from the mechanic. Poor guy. Not we he thinks I cold be the cold start switch. We will know in the morning. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Will an 88 4Runner fuel tank fit an 89 PickUP?