Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Who's running TG Birfs or Marfields?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who's running TG Birfs or Marfields?

Curious who has experience with these aftermarket Chromoly Birfields...

Not Longfields.

I ordered Trail Gears birfs to install this weekend when I regear to 529 and mount on my 37's. I've yet to break a stock birfield on 33's and my buddy's never broken a stock birf either, on 35's.. So dunno, might be the wheeling we do isnt the "HAMMERS or the RUBICON" .. but still, like peace of mind knowing I got something in there that can take a bit of abuse.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Never an issue of "if" but "when". Even chromoly ones will break, thing is they have a lifetime warranty if you got the hub gears or drive flanges to match.

No experience with Marfs but the Dirty 30s look beef to me and just like a Longfield minus the stamping. Im sure they are just as strong but nothing is immune to breakage. Buddy just busted some last week.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not Longfields?

Also, are you looking at stock replacements or 30 spline upgrades?

Personally, I went with the tried and proven 30 spline Longs when it came time to replace busted birfs (yes, both) in Molly's rig.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 AM

it comes down to $$$ really. I'd like to put longs in but christ they're expensive. Worth it, yea probably. But I don't wheel my stuff quite as roughly as if it were a trail-only rig.

Unfortuanetly it needs to get to the trail, do the trail and then come back home, then drive me to work the next day =P So we don't wheel anything to extreme and take it easy on the rigs and have a great time.

and i just ordered the stock upgrades. 27 spline.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Waste of money IMHO. You're just going to break inners where they neck down now instead of (the easier to replace) outers.

The way you use your truck, the more important it is to buy quality parts!

Fortunately, Toyota front axles are full floating so you can drive home with a broken (or even removed) axle shaft.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Waste of money IMHO. You're just going to break inners where they neck down now instead of (the easier to replace) outers.

The way you use your truck, the more important it is to buy quality parts!

Fortunately, Toyota front axles are full floating so you can drive home with a broken (or even removed) axle shaft.
When that happens, I buy new chromoly axle shafts
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by tc

Have you ever broke a birfield??? Not a good idea to drive home with chunks of metal and ball bearings floating around in the closed knuckle... 2 of the 3 I broke I had major steering issues. one of them I could only turn left to almost staight. Wouldn't let me go right at all... 12 point turnarounds suck! Yes you could remove the inner but who wants to do that job twice if you don't have to . Don't forget about getting gear oil out in the knuckle also. Not supposed to happen but it probably wouldn't hurt, just might leak a little more than the grease does
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 PM

were they stock birfs? on 38's
Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimep
Have you ever broke a birfield???

I didn't say it was a good idea - I said it's doable to get off the trail/home instead of being stuck there.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 PM

is that a stock birf tc?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Yes it is
Old 10-03-2009, 01:45 PM

cool, alright

well, I'm sure I'll post once i bust something upfront I'm doing the gear install right now, probably just get the rear done. The front is such a pain i dont know if i'll feel like it this weekend. :-p

fun stuff =) 37 mtrs look so nice
Old 10-04-2009, 12:38 AM

529's installed in the rear, solid spacer. What a PITA that was. I fully expected the hassle to be the solid spacer and getting the preload to around 10lb's.. no it was the pinion shim(s)..

Finally got a perfect gear contact pattern at .205" which is unheard of it but it worked. About 10+ tries, we lost count. You'd think I was installing 4cyl gearset in a 6cyl third. Christ! And a .016" shim for the solid spacer to get ~6lb of preload. 24yr old bearings i didnt use new bearings. They still spin smooth.

See how it works out

Last edited by drew303; 10-04-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
529's installed in the rear, solid spacer. What a PITA that was. I fully expected the hassle to be the solid spacer and getting the preload to around 10lb's.. no it was the pinion shim(s)..

Finally got a perfect gear contact pattern at .205" which is unheard of it but it worked. About 10+ tries, we lost count. You'd think I was installing 4cyl gearset in a 6cyl third. Christ! And a .016" shim for the solid spacer to get ~6lb of preload. 24yr old bearings i didnt use new bearings. They still spin smooth.

See how it works out
You went to all that trouble to install gears and a solid pinion spacer and you didn't bother to replace the bearings.

I don't even bother to mess with gears, lockers, shims, bearings in diffs. I take the punkin to a buddy and drop them off at his house. $150 a diff for a bench gear/locker install is worth every penny for not having the headache.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 AM

like i said, bearings spin smoothly so didn't hassle with them. My buddy does gear installs as well (for free for me too) but I wanted to learn so another friend who's a mechanic helped me a long. Just took a loooong time and a lot of put together tear apart over n over. I have all the tools required tho so that made it a lot smoother going, just tedious.

I did the 30 minute break-in and no noise or vibrations. SO thats good haha
Old 10-04-2009, 10:52 AM

oh yea i should mention the main reason im not wasting money on bearings is.. my original plan was to install elockers f/r... but the deal fell through so im putting the gears in now to run the 37's and for the obvioius reasons of having gears. but i still plan to install elockers ASAP. Of which use different bearings.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 AM

.205?? wow that is crazy! and 6lbs of preload is nothing on the old pinion bearings, there suppose to be about 15 inch lbs. how much preload did you put on the side bearings? and what did you set the backlash to?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Pix of the pattern?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
.205?? wow that is crazy! and 6lbs of preload is nothing on the old pinion bearings, there suppose to be about 15 inch lbs. how much preload did you put on the side bearings? and what did you set the backlash to?

yeah, thats what we thought to but we started at .080 with the stock shim and worked little by little to that number. And everything I read was 6-10lbs on old bearings and lil more for new ones. .016" shim on the solid spacer (which is unusually little amount of shimming ... worn races?)

Backlash came to an exact .009". I had .008" but setting the preload on the bearing caps it moved a lil. Which I set as much preload as my 3ft bar and my arms could muster...

tc I dont have pics but we were using Zuk's site and a few others to check gear patterns as well as the Yukon install book.

These pics off Zuk's site look identical to what the final result was

When we started with the stock shim (why not right? ) the pinion was hitting the ring extremely shallown and favoring the heel entirely which isnt horrible but it needed to go much much deeper.

I think the bearings could probably be replaced and the races are probably worn down which would make sense why we only needed a .016 shim on the collar compared to the average .050. Ultimately this dif will go in the front where it hardly gets used.

When the elocker or ARB goes in the rear, i'll be using all new components.

Last edited by drew303; 10-04-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 PM

what brand of gears? sorry for all the questions lol. im not trying to call you out, its just that is allot of pinion shim lol. and yea worn bearings and races would require less collar shim.

Quick Reply: Who's running TG Birfs or Marfields?