Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

White smoke when stopped, blown head gasket what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry White smoke when stopped, blown head gasket what to do?

Ok after reading here about the issues that the 3.0l v6 has with head gasketes, it looks like I am a victum of this problem. My my questions are as followed. Will just replacing the head gaskets be enough? Can I still drive it or should i stop driving it now? there is no oil in the lower end so am I in better shape than most? Does Blue devil work?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:09 PM

I wouldn't drive it because you can warp the head if it is not already.. you should definetly replace the head gasket asap
Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Should I have the heads milled?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a bad idea to get them checked by a machine shop for warpage or cracks, they will mill them if need be.

What do you mean you have no oil in the lower end? Do you mean no coolant in your oil, and vice versa?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 PM

i hope he means coolant
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM

Oh my bad, no coolant. No milky-ness in the oil. Just big smoke clouds at stop lights. Oil levels seem fine.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM

you might still want to check the coolant
Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Well I just bought the rig. I noticed sludge in the coolant so I flushed the rad and changed thermostat. May have been sludge from oil or the guy put sealant in it. Once I flushed the sealant out it got worse maybe.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Just wondering how screwed I am or if I got a raw deal. Looks like an engine for swap, like going to 3.4l is going to cost 1500 just for the engine. 100 bucks for gaskets. I am willing to do that if I can grab 2 years out of the truck at least.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM

i would just put head gaskets in it and possibly mill the heads i wouldnt do a whole engine swap but if you want to thats your call
Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 PM

just buy some good head gaskets not cheap aftermarket ones and do the timing belt and water pump as well. You might want to consider buying new head bolts as they are Torque to Yield on the 3.0 which means they stretch. I would stop driving till you get it fixed. The heads will most likely be fine but it won't hurt to get them checked out before you put them back on. I would probably just go ahead and buy the head gaskets and bolts from Toyota.

Don't use blue devil or any other stop leak additives just fix it right the first time and it will serve you well for a long time, the 3.0 has a very stout bottom end.

Last edited by pruney81; 10-27-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by pruney81
just buy some good head gaskets not cheap aftermarket ones and do the timing belt and water pump as well. You might want to consider buying new head bolts as they are Torque to Yield on the 3.0 which means they stretch. I would stop driving till you get it fixed. The heads will most likely be fine but it won't hurt to get them checked out before you put them back on. I would probably just go ahead and buy the head gaskets and bolts from Toyota.

Don't use blue devil or any other stop leak additives just fix it right the first time and it will serve you well for a long time, the 3.0 has a very stout bottom end.
Thanks man that some light at at the end of the tunnel at least what about the felpro gaskets from AZ?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...t=head+gaskets
Old 10-27-2009, 04:31 PM

No way don't get the fel-pro just get the toyota gaskets you can't go wrong and they aren't much more.
Or, look into http://www.engnbldr.com/ for the head bolts.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 AM

What about :BECK/ARNLEY called the yota parts house they want 369 for an entire gasket set or 147 just for left and right head gaskets.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM

Does the white smoke smell? You could just be running rich and burning gas.

Are you sure the head gaskets are blown? Does it overheat? Have you done a compression test? Try the basic stuff first before flying off the handle and buying up stuff you may not even need.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Well it only smokes when at idle and it kinda smells like rad fluid. So I assumed sense this seems to be a common problem. It started on the first cold morning when to use the heater and it started to over heat. Not enough water in the rad. Decided to flush and fill with new thermo for winter. Thats when it got worse. I mean this smoke cloud at stop lights is huge. Does not do it when it first starts. just after it gets warm. No it is not getting hot. But it seems like it is losing rad fluid from somewhere.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ponchosmule
Well it only smokes when at idle and it kinda smells like rad fluid. So I assumed sense this seems to be a common problem. It started on the first cold morning when to use the heater and it started to over heat. Not enough water in the rad. Decided to flush and fill with new thermo for winter. Thats when it got worse. I mean this smoke cloud at stop lights is huge. Does not do it when it first starts. just after it gets warm. No it is not getting hot. But it seems like it is losing rad fluid from somewhere.
Does the white smoke smell sweet like Maple syrup? I would do a compression test before ripping into the heads but that is just my opinion. If you are losing coolant then it's def. a possibility. Good luck
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Do you know what a "normal" reading for these engines are?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Is there any other location that water might be leaking in?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

A normal 3VZE should stay pegged right below the half way point on the gauge at all times after warmed up.
If you are losing coolant and it spewing white smoke and you cannot find any external coolant leaks in the engine anywhere I would tend to suspect the head gaskets are blown because 3.0's blow head gaskets all the time.
Most likely you have an internal head gasket leak from the coolant into the exhaust, hence why it is spewing white smoke when warm.

Quick Reply: White smoke when stopped, blown head gasket what to do?