Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Where to buy radiator

Old 05-18-2015, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to buy radiator

Where can you buy a cheap-ish radiator now that radiator barn isn't around anymore?

I'm looking for an all aluminum three-row for a 3.0 v6.

I've seen others say where they ordered online, but every one of those places I contacted only had them for the 22re or the 3.4.

I bought one of those ones from ebay for around $150 but it showed up completely warped beyond fixing, and it stuck up too high for the hood clearance anyway.

If this info is somewhere else here on the forum, please direct that way. I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

P.S. It is actually for a 3.4 swap into an 88. I have read in a few places that the 3.4 radiator won't fit, but if somebody knows more about that fitment or has other ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatchworkPatty
Where can you buy a cheap-ish radiator now that radiator barn isn't around anymore?

I'm looking for an all aluminum three-row for a 3.0 v6.

I've seen others say where they ordered online, but every one of those places I contacted only had them for the 22re or the 3.4.

I bought one of those ones from ebay for around $150 but it showed up completely warped beyond fixing, and it stuck up too high for the hood clearance anyway.

If this info is somewhere else here on the forum, please direct that way. I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

P.S. It is actually for a 3.4 swap into an 88. I have read in a few places that the 3.4 radiator won't fit, but if somebody knows more about that fitment or has other ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
I would recommend trying O'Reilly Auto Parts for your radiator. For the 5 years Ive been going to them, they are Yota friendly when it comes to parts. If they don't have it in stock, they will most likely order it and have it the next day. Got my radiator there for 150$ for my 90 4Runner, mostly aluminum but still has some plastic on it.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Thanks but I'm really looking for an all aluminum one. It's not a rock crawler but it's going to be covering a lot of miles in a pretty hot climate. Plus with the 3.4 swapped in, I want to make sure I have a lot of cooling capability without and I really don't want to risk a radiator falure when I'm in the middle of no where.

Has anybody gotten one from Custom Aluminum Radiators? I'm sure it's way out of my price range but would love to hear any feedback anybody might have from going with a custom built one.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I run the same 3 row copper brass radiator in both my 3.4 engines.

Do you have a local radiator shop in town or close??

My last all metal radiator came from one of the local shops.

It should be pretty easy to find a all aluminum if that is what you want .

Get the outlets in the correct spots overall size close custom make the brackets to fit the stock radiator support.

I miss Radiator barn as well I never had problems with the several times I bought from them.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM

Found this while searching for radiator barn, you may have seen it already. http://www.discountautoradiator.com/
Old 05-19-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every new radiator i've seen now days are not that great. I would probably look for a copper/brass one from gdi/ready rad. I think the name of the company is thermal solutions now. Still not very good,but would be my choice if I had to buy a new one now days. I'd stay away from aluminum. I'm sure everyone's gonna come out of the woodwork at me for saying that,but working as a radiator repair man for over a decade,I've seen the problems with them. If you do go aluminum,flush the hell out of your engine before you install it,and keep up on your maintenance/fresh antifreeze afterwards. Would be a good idea to have an electrolysis test done to make sure you don't have any/too much stray current in your cooling system.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've heard that any of the old 3.0 radiators would be fine, which is what I had before the swap, but since the head gasket was leaking it has a bunch of nasty oil residue in there. I know I could flush it but I've heard that it never gets fully cleaned out, and I don't want to introduce any nasty stuff into my nice new 3.4. Plus I plan on taking a big trip in this in some hot climates in very remote areas.

I've checked that website too, but they don't have exactly what I'm looking for. I know it may be overkill for cooling, but I'm going to have to spend some money on it no matter what, so I figured I'd just spend a little more and get the best radiator money can buy. I ordered one from Custom Aluminum Radiators yesterday. They were very, very friendly and knowledgeable. So far I was very impressed with them and we'll see how it all turns out!
Old 05-21-2015, 03:10 AM

You can buy it online from eBay, go-parts and autoparts warehouse.