86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel grinding when cold - what could it be? 93 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel grinding when cold - what could it be? 93 4Runner

I've searched the forums for this, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a 93 4Runner, about 230K on it. For the past few weeks, I've had a weird grinding sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. It seems to happen when it is cold (freezing or less outside) and then goes away about 15 minutes after driving starts. My mechanic said to put the truck into 4wheel high when the sound starts, and then it goes away. It comes back if I put it back into 2 wheel drive. So I think it might have something to do with the CV joints/axle? But could it be wheel bearings too? The grinding is really loud, and if I back off the gas, it will actually slow the truck down until it goes away. Not sure why it doesn't do it when the weather is warmer - perhaps someone can shed some light on the culprit? It sounds like something that needs fixed soon.

Thanks all!

Last edited by EagleX; 01-17-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's your spindle bushings being void of any grease.

Search for "spindle bushing lubricator" and you will have tons of reading material.

FYI, since it's been so cold here lately, mine has been doing the sam thing. Lucky for you there is a shop in golden that sells the very tool you need. Slee offroad makes a slick little tool to grease your bushings without removing the entire spindle. I just ordered it and plan on doing it to my bushings this weekend. I had to put the truck into the shop to get some heat on it...I figure by saturday it should be thawed out enough to work on.

They have a quick little write up on how to do it and what to look for...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Well I found a lot of good info, thanks snobdds! It looks like I can build my own lubricator, but I may save myself the hassle and get one from slee. The fun part is going to be getting the 54mm hub socket.

Would it be worth repacking or replacing the wheel bearings at the same time?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is always a good idea to check/repack the bearings. It's a lot more involved, but good none the less.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 AM

yup spindle bushings, another way to grease them if you dont want to make the tool with a grease fitting is just to drop the lower ball joint and disconnect everything from the hub assembly and pull back the cv and you will be able to hand grease the hell out of it through the rear, yeah I know it sounds nasty
Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 PM

First post on Yotatech here...

Having a similar problem with my '86 22re 4runner. Motor is fine with the low temps (highs of 0 the last few days in Chicago) but the whole truck just feels like it's dragging. The problems is increased when I lock the hubs or put it in 4H. No grinding sound yet, though. Last night I parked in a buddy's warm garage for a few hours and when I pulled out, it felt like someone had unhitched a piano.

I'm assuming this is the same issue. Is it something I should take care of immediately, or can I leave this til spring? Feel like it's killing my gas mileage, though, and I may need to take the truck on a thousand mile road trip soon.

Does this sound like the same issue to you guys?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lmg866
First post on Yotatech here...

Having a similar problem with my '86 22re 4runner. Motor is fine with the low temps (highs of 0 the last few days in Chicago) but the whole truck just feels like it's dragging. The problems is increased when I lock the hubs or put it in 4H. No grinding sound yet, though. Last night I parked in a buddy's warm garage for a few hours and when I pulled out, it felt like someone had unhitched a piano.

I'm assuming this is the same issue. Is it something I should take care of immediately, or can I leave this til spring? Feel like it's killing my gas mileage, though, and I may need to take the truck on a thousand mile road trip soon.

Does this sound like the same issue to you guys?
Hmm I don't know. I had the grinding noise and was able to lube the spindle, at the bushing, and the problem went away immediately, on both side. I just took of the flange and pushed the cv as far as a could and used a brush to apply grease to the axle/bushing area.