86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel Bearings or bad front chunk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Bearings or bad front chunk?

Ok guy I'm trying this again..I have a front end vibration kinda rolling kinda roaring going on when I drive @ speeds above 35-40 ish.It gets worse the longer I drive and is bad between 55-60.I have been told that it was the rear u joints so I replaced them (didn't change the problem)..I have been told it was the tires so I replaced them with ballancing of course (didn;t change the problem)..I have been told maybe it's one of the cv joints so I replaced the one with the really bad boot (didn't change the problem).I have been told that it's the wheel bearings on the front I haven't replaced them yet.I would like to know if I may have a wheel bearing problem, bad rotor or rotors, tranny problem I have a auto, or maybe the front chink ring & pinion? because the front axels turn while driving because of the ADD 4x4 set up.When I get to the vibration I can put the tranny in netural and still have the vib I also can cut the engine off and still have the vibe BUT when i'm stoped no vibs......when going up some grade gasing I can feel the vibs/grinding and when I let off of the gas on the down side I feel it also.could this be the tranny? it shifts smooth and the over drive works fine...Now on hard accelleration I may feel some grinding but not sure. I have taken it to a local shop around here and they said I don't know maybe timeing belt, electronic problem just leave it for a few moore days I THINK NOT.....can any one please give me some serious input on what to do next......thanks for any help

Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 07-29-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Things to check:

Idler arm (will cause vibration): There is a writeup in the staging forum showing how to check and rebuild it.

balljoints: Use a crowbar to check for movement....

Wheel bearings:jack up front wheel, grab it at 2 and 7 oclock and try to wiggle it, if it moves its time to do the bearings.

Alignment: take it in for an alignment...

Last edited by Jay351; 07-29-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Now I have checked the wheel bearings on the front they nave no play in the wheel...when I drove home from work today about 24 miles I had my hand on the 4h shifter to feel and vibration through it because the vibration grinding is really bad in 4h.I could feel the shifter (plastic hard cover) was warm and and some vibration through it and slid my hand down to the bottom of it to touch the metal part of thr linkage and it was vary hot to the touch much more so than the transmission shifter metal linkage.The 4h metal linkage was getting hotter the longer the vibration was going on so hot that I had to take my finger off to keep from burning it.I thought this was not normal I guess so the first thin I did when I got to my back yard was grab a spray bottle and put water into it and started spraying around all my front wheel braering inner,outer both sides, cv shaft flange that meets the front axel I think there is a bearing there on both sides) so if one was running hot from friction then the water spray will pop and crackel and then I'll konw if the bearings are reall hot.There was no sign of over heating bearings on either side they were all warm to the touch but not going to burn my finger unless I keep it there for some time so I ruled this as a problem.I then started to spray the front chunk, axels, and short drive shaft and the u joints of the short shaft and no crackel or popping of water all was warm to the touch like the bearings.Now with that being said I moved down the auto tranny and transfer case spraying from front to rear yoke all was good until I got to the yoke shaft and sprayed the area and a loud popping crackeling sound around the yoke tail area and the new u joint I put in to the rear drive shaft which I just lubed up last night was vary hot also will burn my finger if I put it on there I sprayed the wated on the shaft yoke and u joint and the loud popping and crackeling was going on only in this area (tail of transfer case, yoke and u joints all vary hott!)..............now with this being said I feel like the problems I'm having is coming fron the yoke nut area of the transfer case?....and advice on what to do next I hear a roaring when the vibration is at it's peak could all these symptons be linket together to that bearing at the yoke????
Old 07-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Wait, were you driving in 4wd on the pavement?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 AM

yes only to here if the vibration i had been having would make a difference in 4h...I didn't drive for miles in 4h on dry payement
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well, the bearings in the t-case might be going. Is there any play? Those guys should not heat up that much, not enough that you couldnt keep your hand on them at least.

Have you checked the fluid levels in them? What fluid are you running?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Hi the out put shaft I'll check for play I know that there is some slack in it just by putting in drive and reverse......that bearing on the out put shaft was so hot and around that area only so i'm going to drain the dextron from the case in the morning and pull the companion flange so I could can get to the bearing which has a cover and a snap ring holding the bearing ...so wish me luck I don't know what I'll find once I get it to it
Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 PM

I'm sorry I may not have answered all of your questions......I have checked the transfer case fluid just last night and didn't have and dextron coming from the filler hole ....so I put my little finger in the hole and could not touch any fluid.....so I proceeded to put 80/90 gear oil in it to fill but after putting in adout 8 to 10 oz I saw some red fluid coming out the filler hole and I thought gosh!...I put the wrong stuff in it so I got the manual out and it called for Dextron 2.......so tomorrow I'm going to drain it all out of the case and flush and refill with the correct fluid......ATF Dextron 3 because I can't find 2....now with that being said I hope that the bearing was not getting enough atf and will stop the grinding or maybe I'll get lucky and find the companion yoke nut loose @ this point I know that something is going on in that case area....
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

As long as you use GL4 gear oil its okay But the ATF dextron lll will work.
The t-case only takes a quart and a little bit. Hopfally you didnt cook anything...