86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wheel alignment specs after lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wheel alignment specs after lift

I have always had the 4: Pro-Comp lift but as some of may remember I broke some steering linkage on a trail. I replaced the pitman, all the tie rods and the relay rod as well.
Took it to a nationwide tire company for alignment and the guys there said they can only align to factory specs and that they would probably not be correct for a lifted truck.

I called 4wheelparts tech line and asked the guy if there are revised specs for the lift and he said to use the factory ones. Procomp is closed until Monday so i will call them then.

I know that some of you guys have to have the same lift as me. Did any of you have to modify the factory alignment specs after your lift to keep premature tire wear away?

I have 1992 Toy pickup, 3.0, excab, 4" Pro-Comp, 33" tires

Last edited by dntsdad; 06-07-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt ProComp will know.

I'd learn to do your own alignments. I did a write up on driveway alignments and it a good one if i say so myself. At least get it pretty close, and have a shop touch it up.

Toe-in and camber will be the same measurements as stock. Camber might be a bit different.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i was under the impression that the procomp lift just lowers the dif and all suspension components down 4"... so that means that there is no effect on the stock alignment settings... hope that makes sense...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe it or not, the factory spec will work just fine but it takes a good alignment tech to interpret the numbers and know which specs to stretch and which ones to ignore. Toe gets centered in the spec, camber gets it in spec but all the way on the edge, and the castor was set out of spec the last time I had it done to compensate for the tires. I have a printout out in the truck of what the guy did for me a few weeks ago but I can't get it right now. I'll try to add it later here. My alignment is perfect on my truck...

By the way, a driveway alignment can get you to the shop ok but there's no way in hell I'd run it for long. You just can't get it set with a rod and a tape measure as perfect as the guy can with the computer. I don't know about your wallet, but mine can only buy $250 tires (more now) once in a while so the alignment has to be perfect.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hey overdrive that would be great if you could post these specs.

I agree, The tires are too expensive to wear prematurely by a bad alignment.

The tire store offered and alignment for 79 and lifetime alignment for 129. i took the lifetime so anytime I hit the trail and band on rocks, replace a busted tie rod, etc. I take it in and they align for free. Seemed like a good deal although pricey up front.

If you post your specs, I'll run it back over and have them try those and see what happens.......if not good I'll have them put it back to stock. Its free anyways!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Sorry for the delay, things are pretty busy around here lately.

Here are the two printouts I have from my truck. The first one I didn't like. It's also when I had the bj spacers and 4" blocks in the rear. He set the camber perfect according to the spec for the stock tires and you could sit in front of the truck and see the camber was off. The tires were leaning in and riding on the outside edge of the tire. Steering was really quick and the truck felt pretty tippy (might have been from the excessive height though).

For the one I just had done, I pulled the bj spacers out and removed the 4" block from the rear. i also had a different tech, and I made sure he knew I wasn't happy with the alignment I got before and that I wanted the front tires to sit flat. He was very experienced and knew exactly how he wanted to set the alignment. Note the castor spec is way out of what it called for from the factory. He said that was the most important setting for the ride quality and steering wheel return and worked for about an extra 15 minutes to set it where it is. He finally had to adjust one of the tbars that I had let too far out a little tighter and then was finally able to put it where he wanted. The truck rides sooooo much better than it did before. Keep in mine these are 36x13.5 Iroks on the truck...

Hope this helps them out a little.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
DUDE, your odometer rolled backwards??? wicked!!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 PM

yeah, they actually checked it the first time, the second time I guessed. I think it's actually at 220 now instead of 210. I just saw some zeros...