86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats goin on with my Yota?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats goin on with my Yota?

Well it started on my way home.. I was coming to a stop and my brake pedal went down pretty far before slowing me down. As soon as I pumped it again there was more pressure and I stopped just fine the next time... After a few minutes I was coming to another stop and the same thing happened. I was returning from NAPA because my brake light was on and I was low on brake fluid... I put it in and the light went off but it looks like I still have some air in the brake line - no problem - I'll fix it quick.

Next.. On my way home I thought I heard my brakes grinding like the pads were worn but I had just changed them about 2 months ago. It's dark so I didn't get a good chance to check the pads - I'll have to do it in the morning.

One thing that is really strange is that I think I'm noticing a noise (that I thought was my brakes) and a slight vibration from the front end even when I'm not on the brakes. Also - I installed Warn manual hubs and the passenger side hub was extremely warm to the touch in 15 degree weather when I went up to it to make sure they were unlocked.

What in the world would cause a noise and hot hubs? Is it my wheel bearings? I just had my front axles replaced about 8 months ago when my CV boots were bad.

Any ideas on the hot hubs? I just gave all the other info thinking there might be some way it was relevant. I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:24 PM

The brake pedal part most likely means a leak somewhere in the system, as for the hot hubs, I cant help you
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
maybe the caliper is sticking because of lack of pressure and building heat up in that one side?? did you check to make sure that the rim wasnt hot too?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like air in system plus possible leak. Theres probably a leak comming from the wheel you say in gettin hot. And it might be time for wheel bearings they do get old worn. I would recommend and full brake job and wheel bearings.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
shove the jack under the lower control arm of the wheel thats getting hot. Crank it up to releave the weight on the wheel and give the wheel a side to side shake then up and down to see if there is any play in the bearing. You shouldn't have any! if there is, then you're looking at wheel bearings. You might as well pull that wheel off while its up and visually inspect the brakes. Get some one to put some presure on the breaks and carefully look for any leaks. Next place to check is the back of the brake master cylinder, they do tend to leak with age.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat is created by friction. Its probably either sticking brake calipers or bad wheel bearings. Jack that wheel off the ground and see if it wobbles top to bottom at all. In otther words, grab the top of the tire and push it in and out. you will get a little play (1/16th of an inch or so) but any more than that and you got bad bearings. sticking calipers is a bit harder to diagnose.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the advice guys... I figured as much for the air in the brake lines but the hot hub had me stumped. I suspected wheel bearings, but wasn't sure.

I'll give all of your advice a shot and see what comes of it. And to the poster who asked if the wheel was hot as well - I did check and it was not hot... just the hub.

Also.. if anyone knows of a good writeup for changing front wheel bearings - I would be grateful if you could post a link.

I think I can get my bearings out following this diagram (http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...15componen.pdf) but I seem to remember a while back seeing a picture of the exact order to put all of the washers and nuts back together.. anyone know what I'm talkin about?

Last edited by devldogs55; 01-20-2009 at 08:16 AM.