86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What specific tools to pack for 87 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4runner preparing for Central & South America

I'm in the planning stages for a trip thru Central & South America. I'm trying to minimize gear and decide exactly what tools I'll need to bring for repairs. What sizes of sockets & wrenches should go in the bag. I know plenty of nuts & bolts end up being replaced by the wrong metric/SAE substitutions, but I'd like to be able to know what I SHOULD have onboard. Worst case scenario, I'll have to borrow a socket or wrench if I find a bolt I'm not prepared for...

I'm looking for any recommendations for vehicle-specific tools that I'll need for roadside/trail repairs. This is for an '87 4runner, 22RE with IFS. Not a rock crawler, I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible. I'm trying to walk the fine line between lightweight, and being prepared for whatever happens during the 30,000 mile trip.

Figured I'd ask here before I go out and measure every single nut & bolt on my 4runner

Last edited by Ruined Adventures; 07-20-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Generally on these trucks it's 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19? (maybe?) 21mm and you're pretty much covered, unless you want to get into the front axle nut/wheel bearings. A set of line/flare nut wrenches are a good idea. You said you're trying for lightweight, so I suppose a coil of brake line, brake fluid and a flaring tool are out of the question?

A good DVOM is nice to have. If you're really going 30k miles, have you thought about where/when to change your oil, air filter, plugs, etc..? A good spare tire that holds air is a nice touch. (two if you can)

There's a tool set at Sears that comes with a buttload of tools in it, four drawers, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" and it's fairly compact. Tow straps/chain are good to have. A winch is always nice.

I'm just rattling things off to give you ideas/provoke you to think about what you need. By no means am I suggesting you have all this stuff, though, I likely would because I like to be prepared for everything if I can!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff
Generally on these trucks it's 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19? (maybe?) 21mm and you're pretty much covered, unless you want to get into the front axle nut/wheel bearings. A set of line/flare nut wrenches are a good idea. You said you're trying for lightweight, so I suppose a coil of brake line, brake fluid and a flaring tool are out of the question?

A good DVOM is nice to have. If you're really going 30k miles, have you thought about where/when to change your oil, air filter, plugs, etc..? A good spare tire that holds air is a nice touch. (two if you can)

There's a tool set at Sears that comes with a buttload of tools in it, four drawers, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" and it's fairly compact. Tow straps/chain are good to have. A winch is always nice.

I'm just rattling things off to give you ideas/provoke you to think about what you need. By no means am I suggesting you have all this stuff, though, I likely would because I like to be prepared for everything if I can!
I haven't gone as far as planning where I will change oil & such. The reasoning is, we're not sure how long we'll be at each destination...bottomline, no itinerary is set in stone and we're very flexible right now. I keep a strict mileage log already with all my maintenance & repairs recorded. Basically, I will be keeping an eye on mileage and planning maintenance as we go. Luckily toyota parts are very common south of the border...especially thanks to the Hilux. I've heard Bolivia is yota-enthusiasts heaven.

We'll carry at least one oil filter and enough oil for an oil change, so if we get to that point and can't find parts we'll be good to go. Also have spare plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I'm going to carry all spare fluids, (at least enough to keep everything topped off if a catastrophic leak starts), JB weld & Stop-Leak, spare belts & hoses for emergency repairs. I already have a brake bleed kit. Already have tow straps & chain. I'm going to get a dynamic "snatch" tow strap too...still trying to decide if I absolutely NEED a winch or not. I'll be getting a hi-lift so I suppose I could use that as a winch in case I get stuck in mud/sand (let's hope not). I'll be buying six new AT tires shortly before we leave, so I'll have 2 spares. I've got a MV-50 compressor & a tire repair kit, so I most likely won't have a flat leaving me stranded. I'll carry at least 5-10 gallons of extra fuel in jerry cans (our stove and lanterns also run on gasoline). Going to carry at least 15-20 gallons of water. We are going to have to be very frugal with our fresh water. Talk about overloaded...

I have a great collection of tools at home, but I'm going to leave what I absolutely won't need. I'd hate to be stranded but that's always part of the adventure & a great way to meet the locals. I try to plan for the unexpected though. Most of our personal gear is very lightweight and minimal, but tools & emergency parts is where I don't cut corners. Needless to say, most of our weight will be for repairs & recovery. I may even bring my 2000/4000w inverter, drill & angle grinder, welding rods & jumper cables for emergency repairs. Everything goes in soft-sided tool bags to save weight and space. I just emptied my craftsman toolbox into a canvas bag and was amazed by how much space I gained!

Which sizes of line/flare nut wrenches would I need? The coil of brake line, brake fluid and a flaring tool aren't bad ideas. I'll have to look into the compactness & weight issues for that...what's a DVOM?

Last edited by Ruined Adventures; 03-07-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea what is a DVOM?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool, it sounds like you've got lots of thought into this already. DVOM= Digital Volt/Ohm Meter, commonly referred to as a multi-meter.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would also pack a pair of ''U'' joints along with a grease gun to maintain your drive train after 4x4ing and or river crossings.

oh i would also pack a spare thermostat and radiator cap,

Last edited by just call me smithy; 10-29-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 PM

pack a mechanic in the passenger seat... other than that X2 on the set of metric, flare nut wrenches, and multimeter. If you can wrangle an onboard-air setup you might even be able to bring along air tools, like an impact gun to make wheel changes and other things easier.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tumor21
pack a mechanic in the passenger seat... If you can wrangle an onboard-air setup you might even be able to bring along air tools, like an impact gun to make wheel changes and other things easier.
The mechanic's a great idea, why didn't I think of that! Maybe I could send my girlfriend thru a yota mechanic school? Unfortunately I don't think we could afford to miss out on her nurse's salary while she went to school...but she'd definitely be the perfect travel companion with a wrenching degree!

Another question. I've never dealt with lockers, but I'm told that I'll definitely need a rear locker for this trip. I'm not planning on rockcrawling or anything, but it will help out in the mud during Central America's rainy season. What's a cheap and straightforward install for a rear locker? Right now I'm thinking an Aussie locker, but I'd like to hear anyone's opinions...I'd like to stay away from an air locker just to keep it simple and mechanical in nature.

Yall are a big help already with the recommendations and tips...I'm writing all your ideas down, I swear!

Last edited by Ruined Adventures; 03-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I started a similar thread not so long ago for tools every DIY should have, might wanna get some ideas there too, it's in the tool time section.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Spool it.....

Unless you will be driving on a lot of slopes/off camber then you would want a selectable one so you can have an open diff in that situation. (I'm talking like driving across a muddy hill for example, having the rear locked will make you slide sideways)
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
54mm socket or 2 1/8"

:wabbit2:
Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Don't forget spare fuses, starter contacts, alt. brushes, hoses etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread may give you some ideas: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...49#post3043563

Last edited by sb5walker; 11-10-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd probably pack a good tire repair kit, a good spare or 2 and a compressor. Hammer, vise grips, propane torch, Another hammer and duct tape! !
Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 AM

make sure u take all fluids gear oil, break fluid, antifreeze, motor oil the whole 9 yards and take a 10mm 12mm 14mm 17mm and 19mm sockets ( take a few extra incase you break them) you can almost take the whole 4runner apart with these id suggest a pair of pliars hammer black tape some way to charge a battery like they said least 2 spairs since ur going so far then as far as spare parts id take hoses battery belts distributor cap plugs wires (maybe) a ball joint and deffinitly take a winch chains and straps help but winches are life savers
Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Switch to an extended-drain interval synthetic like Amsoil so you only have to change it once on your 30k mile trip, and then when you get back!

... and a can of PB Blaster, and some Rescue Tape http://www.rescuetape.com/
Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Spare spark plugs, a spark plug socket, and treat your electrical connections with some dielectric grease to keep the water out in your river crossings.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 AM

Don't forget the 24mm socket for your diff plugs. Maybe a jackstand if you have room?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 AM

I do a fair amount of long distance trips and I keep a few tools with me at all times.
This socket set from harbor freight Pittsburgh 93150. It's a nice set and it fits under the seat. A set of metric combo wrenches 1 dead blow hammer 1 ballpeen hammer 2ftpry bar 2 sizes of vice grips some bailing wire and some duct tape. I also carry a couple of motorcycle straps some heavy duty chain and a 10 ft. tow strap.
If I were going as far as you are planning I would try to carry a high lift jack and a tire patch/ plug kit as well as 2 good full size spares

Just my .02
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Oh -- I know you would probably plan for this but i always carry a fresh roll of toilet paper in a ziplock in the glove box. You would be surprised how often it has come in handy while traveling.
I also have a small cache of spare parts that I have saved when doing maintenance work. such as the alternator belt I replaced that was still good when I changed alternators. I keep that stuff like that just for emergencies

Quick Reply: What specific tools to pack for 87 4runner