Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is an "Ideal" BUDGET IFS suspension set up

I know there are a few guys out there that either

-Cant afford solid axle
-Drive 90% street
-Dont drive over the capability of IFS to require a solid axle
-Rally/Rail/Daily drive 90% wheeling/crawling 10%

I drive pretty fast and need a rig that I can blast to the mountain and have fun in the mud and offroad aswell.

93 Toyota shortbed standard cab p/u. that has (Thanks the the previous owner)
-Procomp 4" lift
-Bilstein 7100 series rear shocks
-Stock rear leafs with lift shackel and funky overload spring (unsure what stocks look like)

My options
-Anything from Total Chaos
-Blazeland is offering a few things
-There are options like BJ spacers/ Aftermarket Torsions/ Heim style steering links ect.
-.....?
-.....?
-.....?

What have you guys tried that works. Help me with..
-What front shocks to run?
-What front Suspension mods to help the front flex?
-What rear leafs to run/ cheap coil set up for rear?
-How to mount my 7100 shocks (leave in stock position, Mount them like this "/ \", or ditch them for somthing that matches a rear coil set up.

Im a total noob at this but dont want to hear things like drop in a solid axle. I want to build a crawler too, I just somthing capable that I can also rail on.

Last edited by Slideshow86; 11-28-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well we need to know what kind of vehicle, what kind of trails/terrain you want to run, what kind of tires you want...

My truck with 33x12.50s has slightly larger torsion bars, pinch weld mod, and KYB shocks up front from Northwest offroad (I do NOT recommend dealing with them). I have 3.5" ProComp shimmed blocks under stock springs in the rear with ProComp ES9000 shocks in the back from 4WheelParts (I DO recommend dealing with them).

I built this truck for running beaches and limited mud holes. I can run up and down the beach at 50mph no problem with this setup. I just barely clear the tires which means my center of gravity is as low as possible which means its very stable while going 50mph over sand dunes.

Anyway, we need more info before your going to get any meaningfull replies.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by limon32
Well we need to know what kind of vehicle, what kind of trails/terrain you want to run, what kind of tires you want...
-93 Toyota P/u standard cab short bed
-Terain- 60% pavement, 40% gravel roads and mud/dirt trails (some snow but I will need chains for that, its terrible right now in snow so im not even counting it)
-Tires- Right now my cheap MT's work great. They are hard compound and get great life on the street, have no handling issues at 75mph and when aired down get "enough" traction for what I need.

I was considering buying a set of 8" steelies for some nice MT's and running my alumn 10" rims with some AT's. Im just geared at 4.88 and would have to stay with 33s if I wanted the speedo to stay the same. Ive also considered borrowing a set of 31/32s and seeing how they drive with this gearing.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:10 PM

You should be able to get into some ES9000 shocks front and rear, a set of the 3.5" blocks and torsion bars for around $500.00 or so, maybe less. That would easily clear 33X10.50s, TSLs on those 8" steel rims would be perfect for the northwest, i'm assuming capitol forest or the olympics?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 PM

Total Chaos is not budget at all, not really an option if your looking for cheap
Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by limon32
You should be able to get into some ES9000 shocks front and rear, a set of the 3.5" blocks and torsion bars for around $500.00 or so, maybe less. That would easily clear 33X10.50s, TSLs on those 8" steel rims would be perfect for the northwest, i'm assuming capitol forest or the olympics?

I already have....
4" lift, 33x21.5, bilstien 7100 series rear shocks and some funky rear leaf set up.( I dont know what stock is?)

Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 AM

I know for wheeling you want to move the rear shock location. But would I benefit from moving them say, like this? (as long as I kept the same angle from stock) What about from flipping the U-bolts over once I move the shock?

#1 What does the PO have going on here? There are 3, square/u-bolt things limiting the leaf spring. Why would he do this and would would it benefit?

#2 Is this an OEM overload? Do I need this?

#3 Should I be running a lift shackel here or lift blocks here? (I only have shackels)
Old 11-29-2009, 12:50 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotapowa
Total Chaos is not budget at all, not really an option if your looking for cheap
its an option if you buy a used kit.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so what are you asking? You have a lift and look like you've used it. So what are you really trying to accomplish. You're too vague about what YOU want, this sounds like a thread made for guys with stock trucks.

EDIT: Go drive your truck first, and the speedo, don't be a baby it's just a speedo.

Last edited by Mic09dcsm; 11-29-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
its an option if you buy a used kit.
I agree, that would actually make it "THE IDEAL IFS kit"

From reading your signature it sounds like your truck is set up pretty fun. Do you have any pictures of your front and/or rear set ups?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
Ok, so what are you asking? You have a lift and look like you've used it. So what are you really trying to accomplish. You're too vague about what YOU want, this sounds like a thread made for guys with stock trucks.

EDIT: Go drive your truck first, and the speedo, don't be a baby it's just a speedo.
This is how I bought the truck and I want a better set up and I know many guys have tried it before me. What have you guys run in the past? What works and what doesn't?

I need to know how to set up the rear first. Then as money allows finish the front. I may just head over and set up a blazeland front set up but I don't have a clue for the rear. But that's why I'm here

As for the speedo, with a 33 @ 70 mph I'm at 3k rpm's. What I wonder is if I were running a 31 what the rom's would be at @ 70 mph.

I could ask questions for hours (but instead I spend them SEARCHING the forum but no one ever reports how they like there IFS set up.

Last edited by Slideshow86; 11-29-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1 looks like an “add a leaf “ or just a way to provide a little lift and some load bearing.
2 is the stock load leaf - provides suspension when loaded, doesn't effect ride when empty.
3 at the one end of your arrow looks like an angle shim to correct pinion angle. Remember a shackle only effects lift by half its length.

That being said, if your truck already has what most people want, what are you asking? Without doing an expensive coil-over or solid axle swap, you are set up for most situations. Invest in some lockers would be my suggestion if your having problems making it thru some trails or over some rocks.

Last edited by James Dean; 11-29-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

Shoot man looks like your truck Is pretty set. I wouldn't change anything. Btw that skidplate is badass
Old 11-29-2009, 07:06 AM

by the way, how is your front set up? You have the torsions cranked and a body lift for your current 4"?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 93yotaSR5
Btw that skidplate is badass

X2, is there a bracket lift on that or is that a stock replacement skid plate?

I wanna know, I want one hehe.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 AM

JamesDean-
1-I wasthinking that what it was. It seems stiffer than it should in the rear, but I wasnt sure if it was the u-bolts or the leaf set-up. Some times the rear will flex all the way out and stuff the rear wheel in the wheel well. Some times it it wont and I hang up on the limited front travel.

2- Ok so its stock.. I DO cary things so It wouldnt hurt leaving it in there. It seems to be about 1 1/4" thick so if I removed it I would need to lift the rear another 1 1/4"

3-I did alot of messing with shims to get the pinion angle/axle wrap taken care of. That was fun.

I agree with you and feel like lockers would really make that next "jump" to capability. I really cant afford to do anything "ideal" up front for a locker. I want to be able to rail in 4hi, so locking the front doesnt seem like an option. I also feel inorder to drop big $ on somthing up front I would need a really good long travel set-up first.

93yotasr5 & xxxtreme22r- I found the skid plate on CraigsList for $75. The guy had swapped to solid axle awhile ago and couldnt use it (didnt want to fab somthing to keep it) He said it was like $225 or somthing and I believe it, Ive bounced off it a few times and it seems pretty sturdy. I just need to get a hoop built under it with some kickers up to the frame and I can really bounce stuff off it. I think he said it would only fit a 4" lifted rig but I dont know.

Murakami- The torsions seem to be stock and it has a procomp 4" lift.

At first I
-noticed the front camber of the wheels seemed to be right at 0deg camber. By eye it looks a touch pos camber.
-I checked to see if they were aftermarket torsions but couldnt find a label or reciept.
-I checked to see how much threads were left in the torsion adjuster bolt/nut. It seems like the bolt threads are flush or 1/16" sticking out of the nut. I dont know how deep the nut is, so I dont know how much I can safely "relieve" the torsions. Maybe 2x or 3x turns, but that makes me wonder. Does lowering the front add toe out and raising it add toe in? or vice versa?

I dont know how much "lift" im getting out of my current torsion possition. They may have added too much to the rear leaf's and needed to crank the torsions a touch? It does seem a touch stiff up front but in no way bouncy.

Last edited by Slideshow86; 11-29-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 AM

there's a bracket lift on there. you can see the tabs on the bottom corners of the skid plate, also the extended bump stops are a give away.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Beaniam:

I think I saw your truck outside a wawa a couple weeks ago when i was in jersey doing the Meteor MC dual sport ride. Your truck is nice!

Slideshow:

I think you already have a pretty solid IFS setup. I have the budget setup: cranked t-bars, 1 inch body lift and oversize shackle in the back.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Murakami
Beaniam:

I think I saw your truck outside a wawa a couple weeks ago when i was in jersey doing the Meteor MC dual sport ride. Your truck is nice!

Slideshow:

I think you already have a pretty solid IFS setup. I have the budget setup: cranked t-bars, 1 inch body lift and oversize shackle in the back.
Thanks, you saw it outside of "mighty joes" gas station. One of your stops. I work in the paintball store on the other end of the building. I got to sit all day watching you guys ride by while I sat in front of a computer with my dual sport sitting at home in the garage.

Could you pm me a link or forum with more info on that ride? I'd like to try it.

Last edited by Beaniam; 11-29-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:20 AM

MMMMmmmmm Dual sports.... I have a KTM 625 smc with all the exc trim too. I love me a single thumper....

I just realized that picture was from when I got the truck. There are no blocks in the back as of now, just leafs, a shim and a lift shackel.

What would you guys suggest for an aftermarket rear leaf? Ive heard alot about setteling uneven. Anyone have any experience with LT rear leafs? or do they even make such a thing?

Quick Reply: What is an "Ideal" BUDGET IFS suspension set up