Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What else should I change while takig the head off

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What else should I change while takig the head off

Hi, I am doing the head gasket due to an external coolant leak and slight loss of compression in the number one cylinder. I am going to have someone look at the head to see if it is flat because before I got it the original owner had the head gasket replaced at 81000 and I am at around 105000 now. I am thinking about getting a header for more power. I am sure there are a lot of things I should replace while I am in there. I might do the timing chain and oil pan gasket. It leaks alittle so it should be done. I was thinking about a cam but I wanted some opinions. I do need and exhaust system because it is rotten. The only catback system I have seen in pacesetter. I really do not want a ricer sounding loud truck. A nice mild sound would be better. I would like to use a chambered muffler if I could find one. Does anybody else make one? When I adjusted the valves I noticed that the little adjuster parts were all worn on an angle. I want to get them but I do not know what they are called. I would like to hear any comments on the exhaust or what else I should replace while I have things apart.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
wow thats an early failure for a headgasket....

What year and engine type is this?
If its fuel injected, I would replace the o-rings on the injectors, or send them out to www.witchhunter.com to get them cleaned and tested.
Do you know if the timing has ever been done? most likely not, and right around 100k is when you want to check it out. You'll be able to get alot more info when you pull that head off to make that call....
If your rig is post 1985, there isn't an oil pan gasket, its a silicone FIPG. If its 4wd, you might as well pull the engine to do that job, since the block will already be bare.
Those screws that your looking for are called valve adjuster screws (22R/RE): http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...5-7FF2D46BD5BE
Old 05-15-2010, 02:34 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm with PISMO on that.....

to get the head of is plenty of work, to replace the timing components is a bit more but well worth not kicking yourself in the arse for not doing it.

drop the pan (good luck with that hehehehe....see my sig for instructions)....clean it up, clean it out and all that.

my brutal / honest opinion......pull the engine....yes i am saying pull the engine.....i didn't and i feel that life would have been sooooooooooo much easier if i did....

my injectors have probably arrived at witch hunter by now...and my cold start injector.

radiator / hoses / belts and the injectors are all the things i have already done or am doing.

header?......lot's of debate on that one

cam......268 or 261 depending on who you ask, i stayed stock.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a 1994 22re. I just got the head out today. The timing chain was tight and clean but if I pull off the oil pan I will replace it. I guess everything depends on if the head is warped or cracked and how long it takes to get it fixed. I also dropped the gas tank because one of the hard lines has been leaking. They are very rusty so I have to fix that. As far as the cam I would only replace it if it is going to add a significant amount of power without loosing a lot of low end. I found the valve adjusters on lce engineerings site along with the head bolts which I should probably replace.