Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What did 99blackSE break?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did 99blackSE break?

So I whipped around to the back yard tonight to go load up some stuff in the back of the 4R. Went to roll the rear window down and I heard a loud *SNAP*. "Oh, OH!!" followed shortly thereafter and I managed to get it rolled up tight again but I heard pieces falling down to the bottom of the gate and the window on the driver's side was loose. Had a good couple inches of up and down play. Anyone have any idea what I broke?

I'm not touching the window until spring, forget that. I don't need it stuck open, especially when it's going to be -40 in January. These rear gates are almost like show pieces...

Last edited by dropzone; 10-28-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: busted, bypassing the censor
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM

haha i hear ya man. my piece of junk tailgate sure is a sight for sore eyes...you really could fall through it if you leaned on it!! anyways what most likely snapped was the (correct me if i'm wrong) "bracket arm" that guides the window up and down. the insides of mine were all worn down especially the 2 "arms" that are about a foot long and connect to the window on each side. Not sure what condition yours is in but on mine, both of those snapped and my window was stuck all the way down in a blizzard at 0 degrees while i was at work. lol, not fun.

if those arms are in-tact, just follow them and whatever they lead to is most likely broken. i havent replaced mine yet, i had to just weld in a few blocks to jam the window up.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cam72SS
haha i hear ya man. my piece of junk tailgate sure is a sight for sore eyes...you really could fall through it if you leaned on it!! anyways what most likely snapped was the (correct me if i'm wrong) "bracket arm" that guides the window up and down. the insides of mine were all worn down especially the 2 "arms" that are about a foot long and connect to the window on each side. Not sure what condition yours is in but on mine, both of those snapped and my window was stuck all the way down in a blizzard at 0 degrees while i was at work. lol, not fun.

if those arms are in-tact, just follow them and whatever they lead to is most likely broken. i havent replaced mine yet, i had to just weld in a few blocks to jam the window up.
Hmm...I just hope it's fixable without major dissection. I may take off my old gate now that is on my wreck before I sent it for scrap, hopefully I can canibalize it for whatever I broke.