86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what can the stock tire carrier hold?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what can the stock tire carrier hold?

Just put 35's on my truck. got a full size spare, wondering if the carrier can hold it? what is it rated for? I would hate for it to rip off one day and leave a gapping hole in the side of my truck. rim and tire is pushing 75lbs I would say. I was also thinking of loading the highlift or shovel/axe back on there too.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it'll only fit a 33... Not too sure though, I always rip those tire carriers out and put a tank right there.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I carried a 33 x 12.50 in mine for a long time, I now have a 33 x 10.50 because it doesn't hang down as far. I've wrapped a cable bicycle lock through the frame and the tire for kind of dual purpose theft deterant and safety line in case it falls off going down the highway LOL.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

You can modifiy it to fit a 35, something like this.

EDIT: I've been asked to provide some more details on this, so here goes.

I actually made this to fit a 33", I was carring a 33" before but it was tilted slightly because the arms weren't long enough to allow it go up completely. By cutting the arms on one side and welding in some angle iron, I extended the arms so the tire would raise all the way up and give a little extra clearance down under.

I also moved the raising mechanism a little to help center it with the tire. Another way would have been to extend all 4 arms equally, but I was just fitting a 33". A 31" will fit fine from the factory as is, in fact some trucks came with 31s.

One thing to watch is the exhaust pipe runs pretty close to the tire. I now have a new pipe that is routed well away from the tire, but if you still have the factory tail pipe it may get too close to the tire when you go up in tire sizes.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-09-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Pretty sure he's talking about the tailgate carrier, that said I have no idea what weight they would hold.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM

yes the tailgate carrier.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Oh well, maybe someone with a pickup wants to know too.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Shoot, I've seen people put 40s+ on those tailgate carriers.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
ja, id just be worried about the stress that it puts on the corner of the passenger quarter panel where it bolts to... i know that when i just open the tire carrier, my truck squats about another 2 inches in the rear, and leans to the passenger side... and thats just with the stock replacement!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 PM

mines not too bad. i have a 33x13.50 spare micky thompson baja claw (too wide imo, but for $30 i had to) someone on here was running 35's i believe on the back with no problem
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiff
Just put 35's on my truck. got a full size spare, wondering if the carrier can hold it? what is it rated for? I would hate for it to rip off one day and leave a gapping hole in the side of my truck. rim and tire is pushing 75lbs I would say. I was also thinking of loading the highlift or shovel/axe back on there too.

I belive the latch that the carrier rests in is very strong and mounted very well making it very able to carry the weight of the 35's. I have run Two different 35 x 12.5 x 15 one BFG KO the other is a MASTERCRAFT COURSER (on there now) on my stock carrier for over two years and no issues with weight or tweaking of the carrier.

I will be adding my hilift on there as well soon but looking to build or buy a rack for the shovel and ax just to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Here's what it is carrying now and I am sure it is every bit of 75 lbs

Here's the old tire I carried before the new tire that is on there now

Last edited by olharleyman; 09-06-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:28 PM

i wouldn't see any problem when it's closed as the latch is there to support it, but when I open it up to open the gate i'm worried that with leverage all the weight is transferred to the one small section of rear 1/4
Old 09-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Anyone know how to Mickey Mouse something that'll function as the little rod to lower the spare?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Oh well, maybe someone with a pickup wants to know too.
i did, thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have run a 35 with hi-lift for over 2 years now... no issues.

I did raise up the carrier about 2" to increase ground clearance in regards to departure angle.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
olharleyman or evolta........

Would either of you mind telling me how the inside of the 1/4 panel is designed so as to mount the carrier? I picked up a carrier off of an Isuzu that I'm 99% positive I can make work on my '86 with a little modification and reinforcement to the quarter on the driver's side. Eg. somehow tie in some internal backing plates (that the carrier hinges would bolt to) to a fab'd internal frame that fastens to the mount for the factory bottle jack. Also, do some sort of "foot" for the lower hinge that bolts to my 4x4" steel rear bumper.

Apologies for the hijack, Kiff.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have never had the vehicle apart enough to see what lays behind the sheet metal.

I only modified the carrier itself.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiff
i wouldn't see any problem when it's closed as the latch is there to support it, but when I open it up to open the gate i'm worried that with leverage all the weight is transferred to the one small section of rear 1/4
I have never had any problems with it myself and I open and close mine atleast twice a week loading and unloading something

Originally Posted by thook
olharleyman or evolta........

Would either of you mind telling me how the inside of the 1/4 panel is designed so as to mount the carrier? I picked up a carrier off of an Isuzu that I'm 99% positive I can make work on my '86 with a little modification and reinforcement to the quarter on the driver's side. Eg. somehow tie in some internal backing plates (that the carrier hinges would bolt to) to a fab'd internal frame that fastens to the mount for the factory bottle jack. Also, do some sort of "foot" for the lower hinge that bolts to my 4x4" steel rear bumper.

Apologies for the hijack, Kiff.
There's an extra piece of metal welded to the quarter to strengthen it up and give it a solid place to mount the bolts. If I was going to do what your thinking about I believe I would get a 1/4" 4"x6-8" piece of steel and weld it in place to carry the weight more evenly and make mounting it much more sturdy.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 AM

Sorry for the Hi-jack, but Thook to answer your question.

I've installed a carrier on my 90. Here's what I did.
1. I took some 1/4" x 2" flat stock and bent to match the hinge.
2. Then drilled out one hole in each.
3. Put the carrier into the rear door latch and put the hinge where it needed to go and then drilled out the same hole.
4. Took the inner plastic out including the storage compartment and then put the 2 bolts that in the holes that I drilled through the hinge, quarter pannel and flat stock . ((you'll need smell hands, a helper, and either stubby wrenches or an assortment of extensions and wobbles) it also helps to cut out the inner body metal behind the light - you will need two hands in there at some point))
5. Make sure that the flat bar is where it needs to be and drill the rest of the holes.
6. Loosten the 2 bolts off enough that you can put some RTV around all the holes to seal then and then bolt everything up tight.
7. At this point you can try and tack the flat stock into place and then put the inner body metal back and weld it into place. All done... Enjoy

No problems in almost 2 years, but my spare is only a 33"x12.5" MT.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
I have never had any problems with it myself and I open and close mine atleast twice a week loading and unloading something

There's an extra piece of metal welded to the quarter to strengthen it up and give it a solid place to mount the bolts. If I was going to do what your thinking about I believe I would get a 1/4" 4"x6-8" piece of steel and weld it in place to carry the weight more evenly and make mounting it much more sturdy.
That's what I figured on the design. That's basically how the Isuzu set up is. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 91 4Runner
Sorry for the Hi-jack, but Thook to answer your question.

I've installed a carrier on my 90. Here's what I did.
1. I took some 1/4" x 2" flat stock and bent to match the hinge.
2. Then drilled out one hole in each.
3. Put the carrier into the rear door latch and put the hinge where it needed to go and then drilled out the same hole.
4. Took the inner plastic out including the storage compartment and then put the 2 bolts that in the holes that I drilled through the hinge, quarter pannel and flat stock . ((you'll need smell hands, a helper, and either stubby wrenches or an assortment of extensions and wobbles) it also helps to cut out the inner body metal behind the light - you will need two hands in there at some point))
5. Make sure that the flat bar is where it needs to be and drill the rest of the holes.
6. Loosten the 2 bolts off enough that you can put some RTV around all the holes to seal then and then bolt everything up tight.
7. At this point you can try and tack the flat stock into place and then put the inner body metal back and weld it into place. All done... Enjoy

No problems in almost 2 years, but my spare is only a 33"x12.5" MT.
So, you don't think my "foot" idea on the bumper is at all necessary? Yeah...I'll only be carrying between a 30x9.50 or a 31x10.50 at the largest.

Thanks for the detail. This ought to be a lot easier than my design idea. I may even tie into the flat piece of body metal behind the tailight for added strength. Shouldn't be much harder to do.

Or, did you cut that piece out to be able to reach through from the inside of the vehicle?

Quick Reply: what can the stock tire carrier hold?