86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What can alter timing in 22re motors??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can alter timing in 22re motors??

Over the last 4 months I have been having some weird issues that ive looked all over to solve. It started with me getting both a code 25 and a code 52.. so I wiggled all the knock sensor wires and reset the codes and have not gotten a 52 since..but I still get an intermittent code 25. I have done the TPS and Air flow meter. The TPS is adjusted to factory specs but when I swapped it out my timing changed...is this normal? does the TPS have anything to do with the timing or is the TPS strictly for fuel mixture? To re-time I had to adjust the distributor all the way advanced in order to end up at 5 degrees btdc...so something is making the timing wayyy too retarded...Im also thinking if the knock sensor could be telling the computer to retard the timing..any opinions are helpful at this point thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The computer completely controls the timing, and it bases it off various sensors.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h23.pdf
or
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=site:...op101.com+TCCS

Yes it's normal to have to check or adjust timing after a sensor swap, You also need to do it when you change the cap and/or rotor and high tension wires.

code 25 could be lots of things, o2 sensor or wiring, cloged injectors or low fuel pressure and probably some others I'm ignoring/forgetting atm.

If you're at maximum adjustment, your TPS may not be adjusted to spec, there could be wire damage, you didn't have a good connection in the diag box(check the light.), or something is near it's wear limit internally.

Again I may be forgetting things ect. Someone may show up to correct me, it's past my bed time

Yes it's normal, verify it's adjusted to spec, Yes it needs the IDL signal to set timing properly, so no it's not strictly for mixture. There is no easy DIY test for a knock sensor, if you wiggled the wire and it fixed it's self the wire or connection is still bad and should be replaced.