86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What am I looking at? W56? R151F?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What am I looking at? W56? R151F?

I need some help figuring out what I have. In the end, I'd like a completely assembled R151F transmission/transfer case/bellhouing to mount to my diesel swap. I am pretty sure I have most/all the parts. I just need your expertise figuring out what I have.

I originally purchased this 21-spline transmission from a guy in Tucson. The guy thought he had an R151F. I didn't know at the time what to look for.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

He included this bellhousing. I also didn't take the time to see if it was the right bellhousing. When I went to mount them together, they didn't line up at all. Additionally, this bellhousing didn't mate up to my 22RE adapter plate. It has "VZ" stamped on the outer collar. V6?

[IMG][/IMG]

I was also given this transfer case the first time we met. I don't know what to look for on them to identify it correctly. However, it does have a female input shaft. Unfortunately the mating surface is completely different than the tailhousing of the suspected R151F transmission.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I contacted the guy right away. He apologized as it seems he had given the wrong trans, bellhousing, and transfer case. He agreed to meet me right away and give me the correct tranny. Unfortunately, while this tranny has both dual forward shift and 23 spline (a la R151F) it's also disassembled and covered in sawdust and chain lube.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the bellhousing I was given the second time we met up. It has a large, circular hole in the bottom which further leads me to believe R151F. It's missing the plug, but these are easy to find.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, this is the transfer case I was given the second time. It has a 23 spline male input (or is it an output shaft?) While the mating surface matches the second tranny, I fail to see how they'd interface with two male shafts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My question to you all is:

Which transmissions, transfer cases, and bellhousings am I looking at?

If the suspected R151F transmission is indeed a true R151F, how will I get it to correctly interface to the 23 spline transfer case?

What parts am I missing to make a complete R151F trans/xfercase/bellhousing setup?

Would I be correct in not trusting this work to any local transmission shops?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
i'm not a tranny guy, so take this fwiw.

the sixth pic down has "r150" written in magic marker on it... I believe that it's not for 22r/22re... see this thread:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...-vs-r151f.html

the bell housing with the hole in the bottom could be worth it's weight in gold, I think it's an r151f bell housing... check the bolt pattern to see if it matches up with your 22r/22re... more pics:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...llhousing.html

trail gear, marlin, etc. make 23 spline shafts for reduction boxes, so i'm not sure about that one... you could clean it off, and split the transfer case from the reduction box, to see if it's 23 spline interface between the two.
http://www.trail-gear.com/assembled-t-cases

I personally wouldn't run anything in those pics without going through it... the trans especially looks marginal.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by absalom
My question to you all is:

Which transmissions, transfer cases, and bellhousings am I looking at?

If the suspected R151F transmission is indeed a true R151F, how will I get it to correctly interface to the 23 spline transfer case?

What parts am I missing to make a complete R151F trans/xfercase/bellhousing setup?

Would I be correct in not trusting this work to any local transmission shops?
1. I think you've got all you need to know there figured out already. Though I can't give you a 100% verification on it.
2. AFAIK, just part # 33399-35040
3. None, AFAIK. Since you appear to already have 33399-35040(see pics below)
4. IMO it's always better to do the work yourself. And it almost always ends up costing you less $.

Pretty sure that's 33399-35040 right there.

Originally Posted by osv
I personally wouldn't run anything in those pics without going through it... the trans especially looks marginal.
Just a bit of dust, dried up gear oil residue, and some surface rust is all I can see. None of which would cause me any real concern. They just need a good cleaning is all. Not a lot of experience with junkyard parts I take it?

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-11-2013 at 04:22 PM.