Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wet rusty fluid under boots on wheel cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet rusty fluid under boots on wheel cylinder

Hey folks,

I am replacing the brake shoes on my rear drum brakes. I pulled the drum and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner. I removed the shoes and cleaned out the backing plate and scrubbed it all down. I then pulled back the rubber boots on each side of the wheel cylinder, and much to my surprise there was some rusty fluid sitting in one of the boots. It dripped out once I cracked the boot, but I cleaned it with a rag, sprayed it down with brake cleaner, and wiped everything dry. No additional moisture has snuck out, but it's only been a few hours. The wheel cylinder on the other side also had the same thing happening. There was no fluid anywhere in the drum or on the shoes or parts, just stuff that would drip out when I pulled the boot.

This is my first time doing drum brakes, and I'm really inexperienced. I've heard there's a tolerable amount of moisture that will be present, but I have no idea how much that is. What's going on here?

Does this sound like a cause for wheel cylinder replacement? If so, any recommendations on manufacturer? I saw some on Rockauto for $20 or so a piece.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, I've heard that the wheel cylinders can leak a bit of fluid when they're moved back and forth during the shoe removal. Is there any way to tell if this is the case rather than a failing wheel cylinder?

Last edited by Lozo; 02-25-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-25-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your in there, I'd replace them. It's kinda like doing a water pump without replacing the tstat. They have made in America AC Delco wheel cylinders on Amazon for less than 10 bones.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Pretty normal to find some seepage on old wheel cylinders. As said above, they should be changed.

When new shoes are installed, the pistons are pushed farther back into the cylinder bore than where they had been resting, and any seepage can get worse.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Remember with brake parts you tend to get what you pay for..

The quality of China Built parts seems to be very hit and miss.

Who knows you might get lucky I know my luck never seems to go that way.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 AM

+1

I went thru a dozen vendors to stay away from Chinese parts. Dealer still has everything but it's tons of money. I had to pass on replacing drums because it was either a Chinese part or $170 each at Toyota.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll order some and replace them. I might as well do the brake hoses as well. The drum looks great, though. My truck only has 80,000 original miles on it since 1986 so likely most of the stuff on it is original. Makes sense to replace as much as I can when I'm fiddling around in there.

A couple more quick questions:
1. My local NAPA has them for $15 a piece. Any experience with their level of quality? From what I hear they're made in Japan.
2. Is there anything special I should know when replacing wheel cylinders? Tips, tricks, warnings, etc.

Thanks, y'all.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 PM

Napa usually is a pretty good store. I just did the rears on my 1980 and had a hard time finding non Chinese parts. I try to find new/unrebuilt items or reman. I've kept my factory wheel cylinders and have rebuild kits coming for them from Lakeland Toyota. In the mean time I located the AC Delcos which were made in Italy. As far as installation goes I just make sure any metal to metal surfaces I put anti seize or grease on. Just makes it easier to service next time
Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 PM

Well, NAPA was worthless... Gave me two completely different wheel cylinders, one made in china, one in the US, were indifferent to my frustration.

i found some Beck/Arnleys on Rockauto that look promising, but I have a question before I commit to ordering:

is there a difference between the left and right wheel cylinders or can I just order two of the same item?

also, does anyone know if Beck/Arnley imports from Chinese manufacturers? I've heard they have good quality stuff.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Left and right cylinders are the same. 84-88 trucks do actually use different length wheel cylinders. Double check that your replacement cylinders and pads are the same as you have. A shorter cylinder will have a longer tab in the shoe that connects to the cylinder. A longer cylinder will use a shorter tab on the shoe.

Beck/Arnely is a great product. Not sure if they use Chinese manufactures.