Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weasy cams still available?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weasy cams still available?

Hi there, new here.

First off, I'd like to say this is a very pleasant forum to read and, presumably, participate in.

I've been limping this 4Runner around for a few months now, fixing what problems I can, and generally regretting the purchase. After many hours of work, the thing is still losing fluids from accessories I didn't know existed and billowing smoke at completely random intervals. I can't be sure any head gaskets are involved, but it sounds like a good excuse. Because I'd like to be able to get on the freeway at a reasonable speed (and I'm pretty sure there must be coolant in my oil or something), my first mod will probably be an engine rebuild with some head work--the first time I've torn anything down this far. I have some knowledgeable help and all the necessary tools for a straightforward rebuild, and I don't have the energy or time to attempt a swap to a 5vz or 7mgte. So...

I'd like some ported heads for my 3vz, but the only thing I've found so far is from DOA. Unless they've improved their service dramatically since the last comment I read (or there is no other option), I won't be purchasing from them. Suggestions?

I'd also like some Weasy2K cams, but I haven't seen anything out of him from later than 2007. If he's still alive, how would I get a hold of him? If he's out of the cam business, are the specs for his cams posted somewhere? If I call Colt cams and say I want Weasy's (or sea2sky's) grind, could they get me some?

Besides heads and cams, I'm thinking new rods & hypereutectic pistons, rebuild kit from engnbldr, and headers by Downey. I'm hoping, after this is all done, that parts will have cost less than $3k. Y'all's commentary, good or bad, is much appreciated.

Oh, also, as I'm in CA, the new setup needs to look stock (except for the headers and/or other CA-approved parts) and burn relatively clean (which shouldn't be a problem if we're comparing to the crap the engine spews now.) That's as far as I'm willing to go to comply with the Terminator's smog laws.

If I can pull this off, I think I might learn to love my 4Runner.

Please forgive me if this post looks like I wrote it at two in the morning, because I did. I'm off to bed now.

-pist

Last edited by pist; 05-04-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no idea where Johnny is these days, or if he is still in the cam game.

You could try contacting colt cams and seeing if you could get a set of re-grinds through them..