Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Water sloshing/inside rocker panels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water sloshing/inside rocker panels?

Really strange, first time this has happened, but maybe this has been the most rain we've had in the short time I've had it. I went to drive home last night after a full day of rain, and I heard this water sloshing noise somewhere under the truck, but I had no idea where water could be collecting enough to slosh around. I checked it out just not and it seems to be "inside" the rocker panels if that makes sense. If I drive forward a short distance and then step on the brake hard, the water will slosh forward and a small amount was actually splashing out into the floor mat area, and I could also see some spilling down from the front of the rocker panel. I have no idea how water would be getting in there though. There are those vent things on the back of the cab, but I would think water couldn't really get in there. It seems like after a while of driving around the water drains out. Maybe it's not super serious, but I'm worried it could speed up rusting and such. I'm not sure if it's happening on the passenger side, seems like only the driver's side. Has anyone seen something like this before?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 AM

take your pocket-knife out and start unplugging the drain slots at the bottom of your door--doesn't take much wheelin' to plug them up sometimes--while you're at it,make sure the slots are plenty wide as they can get munched--
Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That'd be effective if the water was in the doors, but it's apparently in the rocker panels.

Does this pick up have a sunroof? My SR5 4rnr will do this if the sunroof drain tubes plug up. If not, the only culprits I could conjure in my mind on your truck would be the windshield, side windows, or rear window seals.

Make sure you're ECU is still dry........<<shudders!>>
Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 AM

Yeah it has a sunroof...I think it was actually the drains under the rocker panels that got clogged, I was able to stick a knife up there and a lot of water drained out. This is probably what sotb3 was talking about.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Probably so, then. Good job.

Do the check the ECU, though.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clogged drain hole

Originally Posted by thook
Probably so, then. Good job.

Do the check the ECU, though.
I have a 93 extended cab 4 x 4 with a sunroof. I found that the drain hole on the driver side rocker panel was covered up with auto body filler. I soon as I took off the rubber plug at the back, water poured out. I need to read drill that drain hole.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by tacomaterpstra
I have a 93 extended cab 4 x 4 with a sunroof. I found that the drain hole on the driver side rocker panel was covered up with auto body filler. I soon as I took off the rubber plug at the back, water poured out. I need to read drill that drain hole.
lol, those are supposed to protrude slightly iirc. You just reminded me to make sure mine are intact from the PO bashing in the wheel well pinch seams.

There are drain slots along all horizontal seams about every foot or so and they can clog up just from dust settled after entering or exiting the cabin ventilation openings (side of B pillars on early models, rear of cab or inside the door jambs on later model).

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 02-09-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sotb3
take your pocket-knife out and start unplugging the drain slots at the bottom of your door--doesn't take much wheelin' to plug them up sometimes--while you're at it,make sure the slots are plenty wide as they can get munched--
There are also drain slots under the rockers so make sure those are not clogged. Mine were full of mud so they rusted.