86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Watching some video looking for 86's

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Watching some video looking for 86's

I've been doing some looking on youtube trying to watch some pickups like mine doing offroad things. I'm hoping to get some ideas of where my next move it with this build. I noticed a lot of them, well 90%, pull up to a rock/ledge/hole/whatever and get one tire up and stop because that one and the less traction one in the back are spinning. Why is it that these people, usually with 35's spend money on lift/lights/goodies/tires/rims/etc and don't buy a locker/gears? Heck with a locker and 31's you could probably lead them up a trail.

I just don't understand why proper gears and a locker don't rate higher on the buy scale.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Because the "lift/lights/goodies/tires/rims/etc" get more attention on the street than lockers/gears.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 4banginRunner
Because the "lift/lights/goodies/tires/rims/etc" get more attention on the street than lockers/gears.
bingo...

I know I would like to have a chrome ring gear and an "iced out" lockright

and maybe some purple neon's to glow down on my diff...
Old 10-25-2008, 04:47 PM

I guess I should have clarified my post. I don't have anything bad to say for folks that spend the money that they make on whatever they want but when I bought this rig and found you guys I was given specific direction in which to make a vehicle better for off road use. The primary things I was told to do were, tires/gears/locker/armour. I just thought that everyone felt the same way and knew that money well spent was on tires/gears/locker/armour. I guess I'm just a dingbat for following that advice.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
I guess I should have clarified my post. I don't have anything bad to say for folks that spend the money that they make on whatever they want but when I bought this rig and found you guys I was given specific direction in which to make a vehicle better for off road use. The primary things I was told to do were, tires/gears/locker/armour. I just thought that everyone felt the same way and knew that money well spent was on tires/gears/locker/armour. I guess I'm just a dingbat for following that advice.
oh no, your completely right

everything you listed are the prime upgrades for a wheeling truck

don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of spending more money on "look-good's" than wheeling-worthy equipment, but at the same time my truck's a daily driver that doesn't see the trails on a very regular basis, so I don't want it to get too extreme; it's does me good for now on the trips I make around here off the roads

now once I get another vehicle, the gears, lockers, armor, larger tires, the works, it's all go'n on, lol
Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think maybe you have hit on a fundamental issue with peoples psychology, and also of peoples situation. For a situation example, I have a need for lower gearing and bigger tires. I only have money for one right now.. so which do I choose? well, gears are messy, take alot of work, and don't do a thing to make my truck look better. Tires? Easy to install, instant good looks, and at keep me going when my tires are worn and my current diffs work great. I am going to go tires first under the budget situation.

However some just don't care enough to learn about what they are about to do. Thats in the psychology. They want build some off road vehicle that looks like you need a ladder to enter so they can look cool and have a big ego. The others side is people like yourself, who look, learn and listen before they step out so they can be succesul at their goal, which is to have successful off-road experience. The goal of the first guy was to get looks while driving down the street... so to speak. OK enough of my ramble..
Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4banginRunner
x3

...reminds me of the expression, "if you have to tell people, chances are it's not true"- in this case they are trying to demonstrate they're tough by putting on big "manly" tires.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
x3

...reminds me of the expression, "if you have to tell people, chances are it's not true"- in this case they are trying to demonstrate they're tough by putting on big "manly" tires.
good point, in my eyes i can see myself locking up next spring hopefully
Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
good point, in my eyes i can see myself locking up next spring hopefully
Its awesome, see my sig.

My dream rig would look stock (with a multi carrier rear bumper) but would be double locked and have double low range.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dream rig would look stock (with a multi carrier rear bumper) but would be double locked and have double low range.
I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up to an obstacle and you see everyone whisper to each other and point and "WTH is HE doing here?"

... and then I walk it and their mouths are agape ...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 AM

A locker is on my list of "things to do" but I have to admit I find it somewhat intimidating as I don't think it's something I can do myself and I leave in an area where snow covers the ground 4-5 months of the year, from what I've read locker+snow=
Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by woodendude
A locker is on my list of "things to do" but I have to admit I find it somewhat intimidating as I don't think it's something I can do myself and I leave in an area where snow covers the ground 4-5 months of the year, from what I've read locker+snow=
Depending on what locker you get it can be either an easy or hard install. I bought an Aussie and it was one of the easiest mods I've ever done.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Yeah I'm with you but with the recent lift I think mine is past the "stock" stage although it could probably pass for a lifted mall crawler. I can't wait for the dual t-case install and the front locker.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 PM

This is why I like my 4runner. I've got a welded rear and 29" A/t's, and can follow most other trucks anywhere, so long as it's not uber tough rock crawling. Like tc, they snicker at me when I pull up to an obstacle, say things like "look at those small tires" and "he's not going to make it" or the best one, "I'll get up top and have my winch ready". But then I just casually go through/up the obstacle and I hear several thuds as their jaws hit the ground .

I think you get more of a warm fuzzy feeling inside when you do something that others know you can't do, rather than seeing people staring at your truck at the wal-mart.