86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VSS part number

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VSS part number

93 Toyota Cab &Chassis, 6cyl 3VZE automatic.
I have done the best I can on trouble shooting this and am 95% sure my VSS is bad.
$200 part! Well maybe not, I am finding this confusing and hoping for help, not finding anything on searches so come to the experts!

Numerous Toyota parts sites list the part # for a 93 RWD automatic as 8318135070. This vehicle gets little use so do not want the OE Toy part, very happy with something cheaper.

When I search other sites 8318135070 fits a vast array of Toyotas but most do not show it fitting the 93 V6 auto, then there are other mixed info. The first picture is not showing part # but it is 8318135070

So what to do here, take a shot and order the part and hope for the best, any input greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Hmmm 2nd picture did not post.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Hmmm.

Lakeland Toyota in Florida (my preferred online dealer) shows 83181-35070 as a speedometer sensor. http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/prod...rm=83181-35070
$229.

Lakeland cannot find 83131-35070.

Using that same site, I get 90910-12073 for "a" VSV (it depends on which one you want, so search yourself). Dealer about $140. Or you could take a chance on http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-LEXUS...-/221817561369

Last edited by scope103; 04-27-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:21 PM

There is a sensor in the speedometer head, that is not the one I need and Lakeland is the only one I have seen showing it with that part #

This part looks exactly like the one I removed, but shows it is incompatible with my Toy! I suspect others have been through the same thing and did not buy a $200-$400 part from Toyota??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-07-Toyota...%257Ciid%253A1

Old 04-27-2017, 05:38 PM

Doh! My bad. You wrote VSS (vehicle speed sensor), and I saw VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve).

When I replaced mine, I got it from the dealer. Then I discovered Yotatech. Too late for that purchase!

RockAuto has them for about $135.

Mine looks just like the one in your eBay listing. The sense I get is that the various permutations all look different enough, that you can use the photograph to match yours.

So if I were you, I'd give the $35 version a try. I'm pretty sure if the picture matches, it will fit. If it fits, it will probably work. (IF that is really your problem.) Note that the drive gear is not included; you re-use the one you have.

Last, the link to Lakeland is for the sensor IN the transfer case. If you look at the drawings, it shows an "electronic" combination meter. The "cable" combination meter has a reed switch built into the combination meter to generate the speed signal, and I don't think it is a replaceable part.

And, if your sensor came out of the transfer case (rather than the transmission), it is almost certainly VSS1. VSS2 is in the transmission.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Doh! My bad. You wrote VSS (vehicle speed sensor), and I saw VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve).

When I replaced mine, I got it from the dealer. Then I discovered Yotatech. Too late for that purchase!

RockAuto has them for about $135.

Mine looks just like the one in your eBay listing. The sense I get is that the various permutations all look different enough, that you can use the photograph to match yours.

So if I were you, I'd give the $35 version a try. I'm pretty sure if the picture matches, it will fit. If it fits, it will probably work. (IF that is really your problem.) Note that the drive gear is not included; you re-use the one you have.

Last, the link to Lakeland is for the sensor IN the transfer case. If you look at the drawings, it shows an "electronic" combination meter. The "cable" combination meter has a reed switch built into the combination meter to generate the speed signal, and I don't think it is a replaceable part.

And, if your sensor came out of the transfer case (rather than the transmission), it is almost certainly VSS1. VSS2 is in the transmission.
I am about 95% sure it is the VSS, I followed the You tube tests as best I could.

My concern is that after reading many posts on this I cannot be the first person that noticed the same part number showing for many different applications. Hopefully it will work and others can save a few Yen.

Many thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:20 AM

Shot myself in the foot multiple times on this one, got absorbed in part # and missed paying attention to pictures and sellers little disclaimer on "no returns on electrical parts"

Part # 831-35070 ordered from Ebay is not the same as Toyota listed part #831-35070 for my vehicle, obvious in picture. I was hoping to salvage this adventure of trying to scam the system by switching out new plastic part to old housing, but that is obviously different. Confused why same part # is different and huge price difference?

Old 05-04-2017, 07:36 AM

I assume yours is the one with the gear.

RockAuto shows http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....272484&jsn=369 with a picture that matches yours. Much cheaper than OEM, but you're still not going to like the price.

I can't figure out why the part number isn't working correctly; I found a second part number but sites with photos turn up the same part you got from eBay.

So, as I said, the best I can do is advise to match pictures.

The good news is that, in the grand scheme of things, you're not out that much money.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the response. Has me a bit confused also and your right I don't like the price! I would not be so hesitant to spend the money, but I am not 100% sure it is the problem, more like 95% sure. I took a ride to the local pick and pull with the list of vehicles that should have the same VSS, they have nothing in inventory. Only a speedometer so I do not have to rush into anything, I just won't go faster than the car in front of me!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM

The ECU does use VSS1, but I'm not 100% sure what for. Cruise also uses VSS1. If you have cruise, even if you don't use it much, you should try it. If cruise works, that points AWAY from VSS1.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 PM

Yes cruise is out and odometer is not working. I did several searches and tested the VSS as best I could with a multi-meter. I am not confident of my trouble shooting skills, but about 95% sure it is the VSS. I have power and ground to the VSS, Tested with a computer safe test light as I am afraid to use multi meter not sure where power is coming from? This is all above my paygrade.

Did some more searching and found another one on Ebay that looks right and their vehicle match says it is the right one, I might have found it before and then confused myself when ordering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400792510298...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the response, always greatly appreciated. Will update when I get new part, likely next week.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:22 AM

This could help:

To diagnose mine, I put a square wave from a signal generator on the signal lead to the combo meter, and was able to set the speedometer anywhere I wanted! So I knew that part worked. Of course, not everyone has a signal generator ....

You can test the sensor directly by putting 12v on the corresponding leads (the drawing above is of the CONNECTOR) and measuring the voltage switch on the signal lead. The pins on the sensor won't be easy to connect to, but you can do it with patience. (Get those tiny straws they use a drink stirrers.)

I paid over $200 for my Toyota replacement 12 years ago (before I knew of YotaTech). For $50, I think you'll be okay just buying the replacement and keeping your fingers crossed. (Yeah, I said that about the $35 one, and where did that get you?)
Old 05-05-2017, 07:43 AM

I had come across this post in my search and copied it to have the correct wiring positions. Even if I had a signal generator I would have no idea how to use it!!

I followed the Youtube Videos on testing and am fairly certain that the VSS is the problem. Would be nice to have a known good one to compare with, which is what I will do next week when the new one shows up. I do have some of the little tiny test leads with tiny clips that fit in the sensor plug. I put a small piece of paper in between clips so they would not touch.

I put the wrong VSS on Craigslist and hope someone will buy it, at least get a bit of my money back.

I forgot to mention when I went to the pick and pull place I had to show ID to enter the yard, I found that very unusual?? They issued me a card for admittance next time or I can use my phone #....
Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 AM

The good news is the new VSS seems to be the right sensor and tests differently than the old one. The bad news is I still don't have a speedometer.

This appears to be the right senor for the 89-http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VEHICLE-...298?rmvSB=true94 3VZE with auto. RWD.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:18 AM

I pulled the speedometer and see no obvious problems with it. I decided to start over again, pulled the VSS, I set up my testing better and compared my old VSS to the new one. Now the old VSS tests the way it shows it should in the You tube videos 4 12.5 pulses a revolution and the new one shows a steady 8.5 volts with no pulse! I don't know what to make of this?

I tested the plug wiring at VSS and have voltage and ground, I also tested the signal wire for continuity and it tests good. All of the wiring, connectors, gauges and such look to be in excellent condition. I am not happy about buying a speedometer of unknown condition to test and at the moment cannot find one locally.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 AM

Went back to square one and strated over, I have what appears to be a burned trace. Trying to figure out what to do from here, I cannot find a replacement head locally or on a quick websearch. Could this be repaired by any electronics guy or is this specialized? Any and all input greatly appreciated

Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM

I weighted my options here and could not bring myself to buy a used speedometer on line, if I could have sourced one locally I would have done it.

I opted to get mine repaired, the tech said that due to age that 2 of the capacitors had leaked and damaged the traces and some of the solder joints. The bill for the parts and labor was $150 with a 1 year guarantee.

He also mentioned that if speedometer is acting up it is best to have it repaired quickly before extensive damage is done.