Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Volume air flow meter/fuel pump switch testing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volume air flow meter/fuel pump switch testing?

Alright i have an 95 3vze extra cab. Wont start so im trying to check the volume air flow sensor and the fuel pump switch (built in), My questions are what pins do i test the resistance in when i move the flap in the VAFM (volume air flow meter). And what should happen with all the other pins when i move the flap. Right now when i move the flap on the first two pins it goes from OPEN LOOP to very small resistance reading. All the other pins dont do anything when i move the VAFM flap. Is this correct?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
FSM instructions....

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...92volumeai.pdf

You're looking at FC for the fuel pump.

Thread on AFM testing...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ht=AFM+testing

This should explain what should happen on your meter when testing the measuring plate circuit......ie, moving the flap. Only the VS circuit will show any repsonse to the measuring plate.

Also, you could jump the FP - B+ terminals in the diagnostic port to help troubleshoot. This will tell you, atleast, if your fuel pump is working or not. If it does work, and the airflow meter passes your testing, then it comes down to the fuel pump relay......aka circuit open relay (COR) behind the passenger side kickpanel near the floorboard.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 PM

Its running..After days of searching i checked everything i could check and didn't find a problem. Since i needed my truck so badly i decided id take it to a shop. Well i took it to a shop we hadn't used in years, use to be the best place to take a vehicle. Well the looked for five days and couldn't figure it out. I ended up having to pay for the bull **** diagnosis $200. So i get it home and realize they didnt put the dash back together. So i snapped some pictures of it and decided to start working on it again. later today i realize that the sorry bastard didnt put my fuel filter back on. Hooked up a hose between the two pipes. He also left his spark checker plugged into the spark plugs (guess who just got a new tool). well i dropped the gas tank and checked the pump, all good. Everything was checking out fine. Well i ended up looking way behind and under the intake and sure enough found a vac hose disconnected. Plugged it in and Bam started right up. Im thinking about taking it to small claims court and getting my $200 back.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Good grief. I'd have never guessed that to be the problem....lol! Thanks for filling the details. Hopefully you won't be going back there again? HA!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 PM

No i deffinatly wont. I gotta go retrive my fuel filter monday when they open. I dont like someone else working it my truck anyways, mainly a shop. Yeah i always try to finish the threads. Hate it when people dont post the fix.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Hahaha........there's a lot of moaning and groaning about conclusions and lack of them. Thanks. I hope you have enough ballz to say something. That's just preposterous....man.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM

I will defiantly be saying something good monday. i called the bank earlier and stopped payment on the check and gonna work something out on a price since they screwed up so bad. And is there any trick to finding stuff in the fsm? i lokked at the trouble shooting part and found all thees page number to check stuff but had no way of finding pages they were like EG2-246 and stuff. I did find the test for the Air sensor though.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM

Well, the highlighted links don't work, if that's what you're asking about. What you have to do is start making the associations of what the letters stand for, browse around section through section, and find the pages in reference. For example, EG is for engine, IG is for ignition, ST is for starting system, and so on.

Maybe if you're real cool about it in approaching them, they'll do something to compensate. Not working on your vehicle, though!!!!!!!! Do stop the payment. I would.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:07 PM

yeah mabey they will. and definatlly not working on the truck. im using a different one heres a link http://www.the-roo.com/4runner/ mines a pickup but its for the same year. i got to work early il catch you later. il post on here what happens on monday about the shop.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 PM

I see. This is the one I always refer to.......

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Since I'd posted a link above from this FSM, I assumed that's the one you were asking about. I have no knowledge of the one you're using. Tomorrow, when I'm farting around at work, I'll look at it for gits and shiggles and see if I can come up with anything. That is if you're attached to using that site.

Yeah. Catch ya later.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM

well they werent to cool about it. the whole thing was a bunch of crap but i got my fuel filter. He even wanted me to leave it with him for the day and charge me to put it back on. I t took all of 20 minutes to do.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 AM

Pffth! Oh well.

Hey, I replied in your earlier thread on the codes you were getting. Any of that resolved?