Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

vibration in all driving situations

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration in all driving situations

I have a problem with front end vibration while driving. It happens at all speeds, whether under power or coasting in neutral. The vibration gets worse if I turn to the right, and lessens when turning to the left. That would indicate that the shifting of weight to the left is making the vibration increase, becaus emy poor bearing is on the left side of the vehicle, correct?

This is my first 4x4('94 extracab), and I have repacked wheel bearings in 2wd trucks, but the idea of checking the bearings for replacement in my yota is looking a little overwhelming. Should I go straight for the bearings, or could there be some component of the front axles that are to blame?

Also, I've recently replaced all tires on the truck, so I'm certain that I don't have a bad, or out of balance tire.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you sure the tires arn`t out of balance ?, if there not then you need to check the ball joints and the wheel bearings. Something is either loose or worn out.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 PM

The tires are definitely all good. The TTORA factory service manual doesn't go into wheel bearing inspection/replacement. I have a Hayne's manual, and it has instructions on how to...

I guess at this point, with 235k miles on the truck's chassis, I would be willing to tear each side apart and inspect all the running gear. I did a brief search, but I'm fairly new to the site, and I'm not sure that I'm looking in exactly the right place... I have yet to find a thorough write-up on disassembly replacement of the bearings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by YFZsandrider
The tires are definitely all good. The TTORA factory service manual doesn't go into wheel bearing inspection/replacement. I have a Hayne's manual, and it has instructions on how to...

I guess at this point, with 235k miles on the truck's chassis, I would be willing to tear each side apart and inspect all the running gear. I did a brief search, but I'm fairly new to the site, and I'm not sure that I'm looking in exactly the right place... I have yet to find a thorough write-up on disassembly replacement of the bearings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Its not really hard to do, just take things a part and lay it all out in order until you get down to the bearing, replace what ever is needed and reassemble things in the reverse order.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Is it really required to use the specialty tension scale tool that the Hayne's manual mentions?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM

That tool is only required on the early trucks with a solid front axle, your truck is IFS (independent front suspension) so you don`t need that tool.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the info so far...

Will I definitely know the bad bearing when I see it?

And, is it worth only replacing what is needed, or if I do one bearing, is it better off to do both?

I'm gonna try to tackle this tomorrow, I checked the technical write up section, and couldn't find anything on the bearing replacement.... know of any good references online?

Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks for all the info so far...

Will I definitely know the bad bearing when I see it?

And, is it worth only replacing what is needed, or if I do one bearing, is it better off to do both?

I'm gonna try to tackle this tomorrow, I checked the technical write up section, and couldn't find anything on the bearing replacement.... know of any good references online?

Thanks again!
If it was my truck with 235000 miles on it, i would replace the bearings and races on both sides, as well check the ball joints and other steering parts for wear. Do a search here, you should be able to find a factory service manual for your truck to down load.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM

I just did the passenger side on mine with my mechanically inclined friend helping me. Took us about an hour and a half. You'll be able to tell if it's a wheel bearing in the front if, with the tire off the ground, you can grab the top and bottom of the tire and move it back forth and notice play in the CV. That's how we could tell anyways. 180,000 miles from the factory the originals packed it in.

Didn't solve my noise though. We're thinking it's the steering spindle bushings so we're gonna try that next, if not that then CVs and if not those then it must be something with the front diff. It's a weird noise, sounds like a car trying to start after not being plugged in winter, that kind of whirring noise but you can feel it in the floorboards. Not as bad or frequent when in 4H... Wonder if you have the same problem as I?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
That tool is only required on the early trucks with a solid front axle, your truck is IFS (independent front suspension) so you don`t need that tool.
If I don't need the spring tension guage tool that the Hayne's manual talks about, then what set of instructions do I follow for reassembling the hubs?

Also, I just finished disassembly... when I had the tires off the ground, the driver side has a bad tie rod end, which made it wobble left to right.... and the passenger side didn't seem to have any ball joint issues, but did have a slight wobble in the wheel. when I pulled the hub apart on that side, the bearings seemed to have been recently packed. Could it be that the spindle nut was just too loose?

Also, in past threads, I keep reading that correctly packing, and using the right type of grease is of high importance... but no one ever mentions what kind of grease???
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Like what kind of grease for a bearing?

Last edited by 99blackSE; 09-14-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Lucas makes the best motor oil-bearing grease-trans fluid etc (I think), many racers use it. pricey yes but worth it. I use it in every vehicle, even the riding mower. no problems so far. Could your wheel wobble be a slightly bent rim? Does it wobble the same amount on both sides? swap another wheel on there and see if it wobbles. if so somethings off in the hub.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 99blackSE
Like what kind of grease for a bearing?
Well, I would just assume wheel bearing grease... but I keep reading, "Make sure to use the right grease."
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 PM

If no one can point me in the direction of a service manual or write up(God knows, I have searched!!), then the only thing I'm unsure of is the method of tightening the spindle nuts?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 PM

Well, I would just assume wheel bearing grease... but I keep reading, "Make sure to use the right grease."
For wheel bearing grease, you use high temp wheel bearing grease, if your not sure ask the person at the parts store.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM

If no one can point me in the direction of a service manual or write up(God knows, I have searched!!), then the only thing I'm unsure of is the method of tightening the spindle nuts?
Ok, i did some searching here and found the info you need on the front wheel bearing tightening specs. Once you get the bearings and races replaced, put the hub back on the spindle and tighten it down to 43 ft lbs, what your doing at this point is seating the bearings, now loosen the it back up and turn the hub two or three times in both directions and then retighten the spindle nut to 18 ft lbs and thats it, your done.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM

myyota... you're my new best friend!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 AM

I hope you get it all figured out. last summer my wheels were making a grinding sound and it felt like they were loose. checked cv's, lug nuts, struts, etc.....wasn't till one day pulling into my parents driveway after driving on I-5 to
whidbey to find the wheel at a 45 degree angle.

the bearings on the passenger side were toast...really toast, so bad I didn't even bother and just bought a whole spindle from Nix99 in lynnwood for 70 bucks(YT) discount there.

The black high temp grease from the dealer works well too.