86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a very tough choice to make..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking a very tough choice to make..

well, this kinda sucks.. but not really.. still a hard decision to make..

I recently purchased outright a 2003 double cab prerunner. The truck is virtually new in condition. TRD package SR5 etc... and its Automatic which I like.. makes driving easy. It also only has 42K miles on it. I love the 3.4L and the sound it makes... I also love its durability record. My GF has one and its a 95.5 with 250K miles. Still runs like new..

lately I have like everyone else, been thinking about the economy and while my job is pretty safe ( I'm an RN) ya never know..

So the other week I was thinking about selling the double cab and getting another cheaper truck. Its not like I need a truck or a new one since my DD is a 2006 Jetta TDi. I simply like having a truck and they are incredibly useful and fun to drive.

I found by accident a 1986 4x4 single cab SR5 EFI and although it has 186K miles on it, you would never know it. Literally, the entire truck, engine, chassis, frame, springs, interior, every nut. bolt and wire, dash, seats, carpet, hoses etc looks new.. and all factory No cracks rips or tears.. truck runs great. Its red still has all the original stickers, and the bed is virtually new as it has had a camper shell and a bedliner in it since new. I almost cried when I saw the virgin bed underneath the liner. It has never been used. the tailgate. bumpers, chrome, axles cables underneath, skid plates, door jambs etc... look like factory fresh. The truck runs great, though not as smooth as the 2003.. It still has the original exhaust!! Also has the nice sport seats that are, you guessed it, mint!

So I bought it thinking OK, I can sell the 2003 and keep this and then have the 16 grand or so to put in the bank.

Well, now I am having second thoughts, the differences between the two are obvious to everyone here.. lots of different technology between the two and both of them would be very very hard to replace as the low miles of one vs. the incredible condition of the other make it really difficult to choose one.

I don't really use 4x4 so thats not a factor but not a deciding on to say good bye either..

So, what do I do?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. I would have to take the 2nd gen!

You do give up alot of creature comforts like all the new technology you get with the taco. But nothing has the feel of an old Japanese built yota.

And that truck is soooo mint, I would totally stick it in its tailpipe
Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 PM

I forgot to mention that the red truck also has ice cold A/C.. lol doesn't make it any easier now does it? Oh and the hole is only in the original floor mat. The carpet is pristine. The door panels are pristine. The headliner, back behind the seats is also pristine... Not helping myself here am I?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM

Wow that is an awesome truck!!!03 tacomas are a dime a dozen,and will be around a while.That 86 will not and u will probably never see one in that condition again KEEP IT!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, get the 2nd gen. Seriously. Then take a few g's and put a supra motor in there and make it fly!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 PM

oh, I already bought it... lol Either one of them is hard to find.. You think the '03's are easy to find? In what condition and how many miles? 42K is impossible or next to at least.. Annnnnnnd so is an '86 SR5 4x4 with A/C in this condition. if you saw just how truly mint everything is, you would fall on your face. I mean, even the A/C Condenser fins aren't even bent. Every and I do mean every nut and bolt on this thing still has the original factory gold finish. Sigh....
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM

The one thing though I do not like for sure is the camper shell. Its an old one for sure.. and the seal in the front of the shell is deteriorating and has worn through the paint. I was thinking of getting rid of it. The shell also makes it look seriously old man like..

A funny note on the 86... it still has the stereo the old man put in back in 86... When was the last time you saw a pull out radio??? lol. I remember when those were all the rage! It was like.. " WOW! You can take your radio with you!!" lol Its also never been smoked in, cigarette lighter is like new. He did put in some rancho shocks.

hell, I might just keep both..
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, ditch the shell then

What the crap is a pull out radio?? Must be from before my time...
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put the 3.4 in the 86 and get the best of both of them and part out the taco lol
Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 PM

sell me the interior.. LOL LOL that is a beautiful truck and in mint condition....
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Keep both of them for now, Sell the 03 if times get hard for you..

Old 08-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba

Sounds like a plan to me!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sell it to me or I'll ban you

Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 AM

Def keep the 2nd gen, but don't mod it, keep it in its stock glory. Not enough clean stockers left on the road...
Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 AM

Keep the 2nd gen. you really don't see that generation that clean, atleast not around where i'm from. i agree with everybody else too, do not mod it. you won't regret keeping this one.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba

I agree with Scub here...Keep them both, what's it costing you, a wee bit in insurance??? Def keep the 86 stock she'll run forever! Great Find!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Keep it, keep it, keep it !!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 AM

wow that is one pretty truck... if you sell the 2nd gen you will never find another one like it....the 03 might not be easy to find but you will have a better chance... but everyone is different so now it comes down to the ultimate question wich do you prefer to drive???

just remember if you sell the 2nd gen be sure to sell it to someone who wont ruin her....
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

well, I made the decision to sell the 2003. I was never that happy with it and its actually quite uncomfortable to drive. The angle in which it forces my right leg is very unsettling... almost as if the gas and brake pedal are too far over to the left. The center console also hits me right in the calf and the left side where the power windows are, presses up against me and makes for a tight fit.

Driving the 86 isn't like driving a Cadillac either but it is one solid machine. Its also fun to keep thinking about just how clean this truck really is. Seems to run well, and is easy to fix.

Selling the 2003 will also enable me to put some cash in the bank..

Thanks for the tips guys/gals... If anyone is in the area, feel free to contact me and say hi.. I know a great place to buy parts over here in San Jose..
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NoLookingBack
well, I made the decision to sell the 2003. I was never that happy with it and its actually quite uncomfortable to drive. The angle in which it forces my right leg is very unsettling... almost as if the gas and brake pedal are too far over to the left. The center console also hits me right in the calf and the left side where the power windows are, presses up against me and makes for a tight fit.

Driving the 86 isn't like driving a Cadillac either but it is one solid machine. Its also fun to keep thinking about just how clean this truck really is. Seems to run well, and is easy to fix.

Selling the 2003 will also enable me to put some cash in the bank..

Thanks for the tips guys/gals... If anyone is in the area, feel free to contact me and say hi.. I know a great place to buy parts over here in San Jose..
Well done!!!!! I wish you were closer so I could stop by and get naked and just lay in the bed of that thing.......... it would be like laying in the middle of a dozen heaven-sent angels. That bed is freaking clean!!!!!!

Great choice!

Quick Reply: a very tough choice to make..