86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valve cover gasket 22re

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve cover gasket 22re

91 22re Pickup, 4wd, 5spd. Any hidden surprises when doing the job? I'm doing a full tune up and need to do the valve cover gasket as well. Unfortunately, I have about 2 hours to get it done (babysitting adventures).

thanks guys
Old 04-12-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
91 22re Pickup, 4wd, 5spd. Any hidden surprises when doing the job? I'm doing a full tune up and need to do the valve cover gasket as well. Unfortunately, I have about 2 hours to get it done (babysitting adventures).

thanks guys
While you're in there adjust the valves. Have the baby hand you the tools.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoy all the vac lines
Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 PM

thanks guys
Its pretty straight forward, just take pictures of everything so you don't get confused when reconnecting the vacuum hoses to the vacuum switching valves on top of the covers. If the grommets feel like they won't come off, grab some pliers and start turning them like you would a nut to remove them. I had to remove a heater hose to get my cover off though (hose clamps got in the way of me removing my cover) and if you have time, since you already have them off, adjust your valves if they haven't been done within the last 60k miles... have fun ! Also, don't tighten the top nuts down like crazy... I was told that if you tighten them down too much, the lifters can start hitting the covers.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
...Any hidden surprises when doing the job? I'm doing a full tune up and need to do the valve cover gasket as well.
Just make sure you use sealant well on the half-moons. Arlindsay has "alexman" video on youtube that covers that. So do 22RE Performance and/or LC engineering.
Originally Posted by flg8r22
Soo cute and purrtybaby!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 PM

I think I might hold off on the valve cover gasket until I have time to do everything while I'm in there. I'll get the plugs and other stuff done first.

thanks guys! I'll try to post a picture of my 5 month old daughter working on the truck!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Topton wow that is just right across the valley!!!

If you have any brittle vacuum lines good idea to replace them when doing the valvecover gaskets

Make sure to get the gasket set with the 1/2 moons getting things apart only to find you don`t have them

How can a engine that has no lifters have them make noise ??

Overhead Cam no lifters