86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vacuum Hose Routing on 3VZ-E

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vacuum Hose Routing on 3VZ-E

I bought a cold air kit a while ago and it had ports for vacuum hoses. If you see my picture, I Tee'd off two of them because there were only two ports and there needs to be three for the vacuum hoses and the valvecover breather (see pic). My friend brought it to my attention that the two vacuum hoses and only there for breathers. He told me that I could just put breathers on the end of them so the hot air isn't going into the intake. Is this true? If it is true, I might just cap off the holes in the intake and but breathers on both vacuum tubes and the valve cover. As always, I appreciate all feedback!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Whoops, forgot to post pic.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Oh boy...this again?

Green arrow: PCV system. DO NOT put a breather on it. It's designed specifically to flow the optimum amount of air, or crankcase vapors, required, FROM the air intake TO the crankcase(and occaisionally flowing in reverse, from the crankcase to the air intake). BAD IDEA to fiddle with it in ANY way. And it would be wise to NOT tee-in any other lines to it either. That's also going to fudge up the flow, for sure, NOT GOOD.

Yellow arrow: PS IACV/Idle Up inlet line. A breather would be fine instead. Just needs filtered air to work properly.

Red arrow: PAIR inlet. Again, a breather would suffice. And since the air is going directly into the exhaust manifold, it wouldn't necessarily even need a breather. Any contaminants would likely be incinerated/gasified. But I'd want it to be filtered just in case. Especially if you are going to be fording any deep water.

Oh hey! There's another one of those master cylinders with the brake fluid level detector on the side. Just talking about those a second ago. Apparently NOT so rare...I guess.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-11-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get an FSM (google is your friend) and check out the correct hose routing.

you have a PCV ventilation hose (black hose coming off the drivers side valve cover) routed incorrectly via that tee fitting - and unless i'm mistaken, its plumbed in line with the a/c system. Black hose should be the only hose going into the intake port closest to the throttle body. Do not cap the valve cover with a breather.

Of the two metal vacuum lines passing under the air intake chamber (1 bigger, one smaller), the big one is the PAIR air intake line, and the other (im fairly certain) goes to the A/C system - I don't have a/c so the outlet of this line is capped on my vehicle. These aren't just there for breathers, so don't put breather filters on them.

Seeing as you are short one port on the aftermarket intake you have several options:
1) add a port, plumb all the air lines correctly
2) PAIR elimination mod
3) if you don't have a/c you can cap that line and plump second intake port to the PAIR - doublecheck that this line actually services the ac system
Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I really don't understand why everyone feels the need to eff up their intake with that crap.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

Green arrow: PCV system. DO NOT put a breather on it. It's designed specifically to flow the optimum amount of air, or crankcase vapors, required, FROM the air intake TO the crankcase(and occaisionally flowing in reverse, from the crankcase to the air intake). BAD IDEA to fiddle with it in ANY way. And it would be wise to NOT tee-in any other lines to it either. That's also going to fudge up the flow, for sure, NOT GOOD.
This is why I brought this up. I didn't want to have two lines Tee'd to each other. When I installed it I only intended for that setup to be temporary until I found out where all those hoses went so I can see what I can and can't put breathers on. I knew it was wrong when I did it. Since it is my daily driver, I just had to throw it together and when I had a couple days of from school or work or whatever, I'd take it apart and do it the correct way. Buggalo Bill says that the small hose in the front of the engine is for the AC system. I'll have to check just to make sure. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 10-12-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I really don't understand why everyone feels the need to eff up their intake with that crap.
Sometimes I regret buying it. It doesn't really add anything unless you have an exhaust to match it. But it was $38, so why not? xDD