Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

V6 Spartan Locker Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Spartan Locker Issue

Last night I installed a Spartan locker in the rear end of my 4Runner.

When I went to do the 'spin test' I found it would only partially disengage. By this I mean the driver side tire can only ratchet backwards and the passenger tire can only ratchet forwards. When I try to spin them the other direction they simply will not disengage. The install manual specifically says to check both wheels ratchet in each direction.

Just finished tearing the third member back out and after removing the carrier I found two of the four alignment pins were stuck inside their respective driver holes. The install manual also states you must not let these pins be wedged sideways.

The problem is they constantly get stuck! There was only one out of the four which I could consistently push down without it becoming wedged. After about half an hour of swapping them around I've managed to get two out of the four to stop wedging. When I push down on them they all feel nice and smooth until the last bit where it starts feel a bit rough and then right after it gets stuck.. kinda like the parts weren't machined properly.

Has anyone had this issue before? Would this cause my locker to not disengage in certain directions?

I might try to polish the pins a bit.. see if that helps them slide smoothly.

Here's a pic to help illustrate what I'm talkin bout'.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Um....that's weird. I'd call tech support.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I might do that.

The only problem is its pretty much Christmas so I doubt I'll get a response in a timely manner and my truck is up on jack stands..

I was able to find another complaint about the driver holes being machined poorly:

Update:
I got my spartan Thursday and got it installed today. I was disapointed at the quality of machineing out of the box. On one of the drivers the holes were too short for the alignment pins by over 1/16". I compared depth between the 2 and decided to grind down 2 of the alignment pins to make it work. Everything else came out within spec and it tested properly. I hopeit works out OK, this is the 2nd time I tried to install one of theese and did not want to put it back togather again stock.
I've managed to get three of the four pins to slide smoothly.. now just gotta work on the worst one.

As of right now, I would not recommend a Spartan locker.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
You need to call them. I have had zero issues with mine. I even installed mine three different times!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dude Man
Last night I installed a Spartan locker in the rear end of my 4Runner.

When I went to do the 'spin test' I found it would only partially disengage. By this I mean the driver side tire can only ratchet backwards and the passenger tire can only ratchet forwards. When I try to spin them the other direction they simply will not disengage. The install manual specifically says to check both wheels ratchet in each direction.

Just finished tearing the third member back out and after removing the carrier I found two of the four alignment pins were stuck inside their respective driver holes. The install manual also states you must not let these pins be wedged sideways.

The problem is they constantly get stuck! There was only one out of the four which I could consistently push down without it becoming wedged. After about half an hour of swapping them around I've managed to get two out of the four to stop wedging. When I push down on them they all feel nice and smooth until the last bit where it starts feel a bit rough and then right after it gets stuck.. kinda like the parts weren't machined properly.

Has anyone had this issue before? Would this cause my locker to not disengage in certain directions?

I might try to polish the pins a bit.. see if that helps them slide smoothly.

Here's a pic to help illustrate what I'm talkin bout'.

I have installed 4 or 5 of them. I love the machined quality of them. If you move the suspect in to another hole does it stick there also? If not, then is there something stuck in the hole? A piece of wire or anything?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM

When I first removed the drivers I found two of the four pins were wedged or stuck inside their respective holes.

It took a fair bit of pressure and a set of pliers to unwedge them. I then tried pushing on each pin and found only one would slide up and down nice and smoothly. The other three would all get stuck near the bottom and I'd have to pull them out with pliers again.

I carefully inspected each driver hole, pin and spring. Cleaned everything thoroughly, lubricated them with gear oil several times, etc.

Eventually I was able to get all four to slide in and out relatively smoothly. Put everything back together and performed the 'spin test' again, which it passed. I'm still not completely sure its working properly though because it snowed a few inches while I was installing it and all the roads are extremely icy.

Haven't been able to find a big enough patch of dry pavement to really test the ratcheting operation.

On a side note; all the internet hype about how bad lunchbox lockers are on slippery roads is completely overblown. I could not have installed mine at a worse time as far as road conditions go and the difference is negligible. I actually find the rear end is more predictable and a little easier to control.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Hey Dude Man this is Steve here. It sounded like you got all the glitches out of your locker. Im working on mine right now. I seem to be experiencing everything I dont want to. It grinds, chirps, bangs and pops every time im not driving in a straight line. I was wondering how yours is after this long with it?