86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

users of BJ spacers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
users of BJ spacers...

didnt want bump a necro thread about the SDORI ball joint spacers so...

just wondering how yours have been. do you have any complaints about it? i heard about a bad thing about the bump steer.

any other gotchas i should look out for?

thanks...
Old 05-15-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i have not noticed any cons at all, and nor have i ever heard anyone complain about bj spacers either.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
i have not noticed any cons at all, and nor have i ever heard anyone complain about bj spacers either.
oh c'mon Dark.. you know I bitched about em!

=)

The only downside is you're taking perfectly parallel upper and lower control arms and now making them non parallel. This means the tire doesnt stay at whatever camber you've put it at as it travels up and down.

So it's important to set your ride height by either leaving the torsions bars alone or turning them till you get the results you want. THEN setting camber.

They also put more strain on steering components and you will bend stock idler arms that aren't braced.

oh yea the positives.. um you get a little more height?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love my bj spacers,i would for sure buy em again. the only minor complaint i have is the bolts that come with em are beging to rust, but its no big deal. ill get around to replacing em one of these days.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:16 AM

oh and i have heard about people bending their idler arms with them, but i have yet to bend one and thats with some heavy 33" bias ply swampers, so i guess it depends on what ya do wit your rig
Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 AM

my only complaint is not necessarily against the BJ spacers themselves, but the extra strain on the CV joints. planning to fix the issue with manual hubs soon. if you are planning on getting a pair, do some homework on shocks, paint the bolts because they do rust, invest in manual hubs, and keep an eye on you idler arm and pitman arm because it is harder on the steering. i love the lift, it wasn't much, but with the extra tire room, it was a nice improvement as far as clearance goes. i wouldnt go back.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 AM

4crawler sells a diff drop kit that will reduce the angles so its almost flat. i would deff recomend that if your getting bj spacers
Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 AM

i really like mine. as of 3 monthish no issues yet but to be clear its not really a lift...if you are trying to use it to turn bigger tires they will still rub because the wheels will still stuff to the same point.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
use em. love em. no complaints. small amount of lift cleared 33's and yes they rub a little when the suspension is compressed. To solve this i beat the tar outta the pinch weld and kept wheeling. Combined with new alcan springs out back and bilstiens all around i'm a happy camper. Cv's are newish toyota units and the idler arm was braced before hand. When i installed them new tie rods and ball joints as well. Also consider getting and ifs brace from sonoran steel but be aware the if you get a diff drop kit the two components will not play. I opted to not get the diff drop and install a downey brace. I'm happy i did since i don't have any binding when i wheel my rig.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 PM

I've had mine on for a little over a yr. Downside, they get knda rusty. But if I would eber build a ifs truck again I'd use bj spacers. 35s+bj spacers= bent idler, pitman if you wheel hard
Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I plan on doing a BJ spacer lift. but like drew said, it sets it off camber. Im going to be putting 901 OME coils in the back with BJ spacers. i'll just crank the T bars to where its level with the rear end and then go get it aligned.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My only complains is that with the increased steering angles and larger tires Tie rod end boots and idler arm bushings don't tend to last.

not one complaint about the spacers!

Never had a problem with alignment.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:07 PM

FYI if you get the brass idler bushings from SDORI, they hold up to the added stress very well.
Taken mine through 2 ECORS races thus far and a few thousand miles, even w/ a front locker and there is no play in the idler.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:14 PM

hey ratlabguy didn't kno you were on here!
another thing with bj spacers, speakin from experience, don't crak up the tbars with spacers. A little is ok, but don't go crazy lik me and crank em 1.5inches. I went through a pair of cv's the first tme I locked the hubs in to get up the driveway.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
my only complaint is that i got SDORI bj spacers instead of these ones hehehe:
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
my only complaint is that i got SDORI bj spacers instead of these ones hehehe:
ok... what are these?

another brand of spacers?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:17 PM

those are some cheap steel spacers. imo the sdori spacers are a much better option than those. 4crawler is sells the sdori bj spacers and is a very good guy to do business with
Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
lol, i was being sarcastic...those are from a recent thread on BJ spacers. i believe SDORI is the ORIGINAL 89-95 Toyota IFS BJ spacer and all the others are just replicas or inferior designs. those ones are made of steel and they would have to be stacked in order to get the 1.5". they are just a bad idea since they'd most likely rust or fall apart while you're driving since they're not machined from a solid piece of material, are made of steel which rusts easily, and don't have the 'drainage slot' to allow water to drain from the cavity in the middle. and they didn't cost much less (after all the necessary 'fixes' they require) than the SDORI spacers.

i have no complaints about the BJ spacers i put on my truck.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 PM

ya i remember the thread about those. i think the guy who put em on spent almost as much as the sdori spacers just to get em safe enough to put on. haha
Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by clydehatchet
my only complaint is not necessarily against the BJ spacers themselves, but the extra strain on the CV joints. planning to fix the issue with manual hubs soon. if you are planning on getting a pair, do some homework on shocks, paint the bolts because they do rust, invest in manual hubs, and keep an eye on you idler arm and pitman arm because it is harder on the steering. i love the lift, it wasn't much, but with the extra tire room, it was a nice improvement as far as clearance goes. i wouldnt go back.

Quick Reply: users of BJ spacers...