Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Unfixable oil leak??

Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfixable oil leak??

Alright so this is my first post, but I have been using this site since purchasing my yota and have found it extremely helpful. I recently purchased a '93 4X4 Pickup and it seems to be in fairly good shape for the most part, except for a pesky oil leak. When I bought it I was aware of a leaking oil cooler extension, which I had fixed, but was told by my mechanic (who only works on Toyota's) that there was now a second leak coming from beneath the head on the right side of the engine. He told me he figured it was coming from the oil return and that if that was the case, there was "absolutely nothing" I could do about it. I don't know enough about engine mechanics to really question what he said, but I was inclined to believe him because generally if a mechanic is going to lie to you it's about something he says he CAN do, and not the other way around. However, it's leaking pretty heavily (about a quart every 500-600 miles) and it is absolutely driving me CRAZY to think that I can't do anything to fix it. I took the skid plate off to get a better look at the source of the leak, and I have attached a picture. The picture is taken from under the truck and the leak appears to originate from where the red circle is. Like I said, I do not know much about mechanics so I don't particularly know how to properly describe the exact location of the picture. I am really hoping the pictures are good enough for somebody to help shed some light on this problem, and possibly suggest a solution that does not involve tearing the entire engine apart....
Attached Thumbnails Unfixable oil leak??-oil-leak.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Well, if that's the case [leaking oil return], either the HG is leaking [replace it] or there's a crack in the block [weld/replace block].
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM

Of those two options I think it is more likely the head gasket. The leak has started since I bought it, and I'm not sure how long the truck was sitting before that. If that is the case, how difficult/how long does it take to replace a head gasket?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The first thing I would do is get a second opinion. It seems to me your mechanic IMO didn't give a clear diagnosis.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Yes I was thinking the exact same, it's just a matter of having a chance to bring it anywhere since I work with my truck. It didn't seem right that he was telling me that there was nothing I could do about it, but I took it to this particular guy because in the town I live in he is very reputable when it comes to toyotas
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM

any other info anyone can give me about head gasket work (particularly labour-intensity) would be awesome
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

He may have meant there was nothing he could do as a quick fix.

Anything done would be labor intensive $$$$

If you have good mechanical skills but have never done a head gasket and every thing goes perfect I would say you could do it in a good 8 to 10 hours.

But if Mr Murphy shows up all bets are off.

Most shops in this neck of the woods would rather swap a engine then do a head gasket.

I was pressed for time and had to pay someone to do one for me I paid $600.00 for just labor I supplied all the parts antifreeze oil etc.

Just so you have a idea.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM

If I'm looking at the picture correctly, it seems low on the motor for a HG. Can you put a couple more pics up to identify where the problem is? Also, is this a 22RE motor? I have chased all of the leaks on my 92 (and there were many) and have it now sealed tighter than a bugs butt.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM

I think I understand the pic now. What I found to be the best method to fix mine was to soak the motor and engine bay in degreaser (purple power works great and doesn't wreck the environment) After THOROUGH cleaning, run the motor to find exactly where the leak is. This process can take several tries to get it pinned down, but the time is worth it compared to spending alot of time and money repairing things that don't need to be fixed. When you have narrowed the culprit down to a specific point, let me know with some pics and I'll see if I have "been there, done that", if not, someone else here has.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 AM

alright awesome thanks for the info. I will try that today and post some more pics later