Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

un-lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
un-lowering

I've been hitting the front bump-stops for about a month now (because I lowered my truck!) and I am now lifting it back up to normal height. It was nice to be low, but I kept scraping my hitch on things...and every bump felt like I was going to break my back. Now, I am removing my lowering blocks and taking it back to normal height. I "could" have bought lowering springs, shocks, and drop spindles...but I am way to cheap.

Anyway, what I want to point out is that lifting and lowering your vehicle is NOT cheap. Yeah, sure, you "can" buy blocks and lift your truck that way and crank your torsion bars. But if you crank your t-bars you have to remember you'll also need an alignment. And your ride will suck. If you do a bracket lift you'll have to buy new shocks, even if your using blocks or not....and shocks aren't all on the cheap side.

So, before you decide to lift or lower your truck...you MUST know how much it is going to cost. And if its "really" worth it.

Pics...

Old 04-04-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did a write up on doing a driveway alignment. It isn't tough to do and its free. No special tools needed aside from a ruler that measures to the 1/2mm or 1/32"
Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the way they look lowered, but they sure drive alot better at stock height. Your hitch does sit really low.

I am going to keep mine at the stock height and add antisway bars, KYB gasadjust shocks and some 17" wheels and tires.

After all I'm an old man, I can't be driving around in a "slammed mini"

Robb
Old 04-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nmtoy

After all I'm an old man, I can't be driving around in a "slammed mini"

Robb
Sure you can. Just add some cylinders so you can lift it at speed bumps, heck you can even "hop" it.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want it lowered just pull the bump stops out & cut about 3/4 of the rubber off of them, it won't hit then. If you go any lower than 3" then you really need to do a c notch or step the frame if you want a decent ride. These days I'm all about leaving it stock height!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
lmao, live and learn I guess, right guys?

My very first truck, an 89 Isuzu pickup, was slammed to the ground like that when I first bought it. The t-bars were just loosened all the way, and a leaf was removed from the rear spring packs AS WELL AS a lowering block... the rear end just rode on the bump stops as well... but at 16, I just didn't give a rat's butt, cause man it was all "gangsta look'n yo"...

as a matter of fact, it kinda resembled yours with the topper and all, lol

but after a year and a half of driving it, grinding the font end on the ground in parking lots, denting up the exhaust, and getting the rear-end airborn on speed bumps , I ditched the lowering blocks and tightened the t-bars a bit (brought it up to a good ride hight, but still lower than stock), then through some NORMAL sized tires on it to correct the speedo, and that's when I started the power upgrades, and went through 3 motors

Besides, I think everyone here liked your 2wd better as the off-road monster is was before! am I wrong?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-06-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So your name back then was what? "iamgangstableeder"??
Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88

So your name back then was what? "iamgangstableeder"??
iamganstableeda, get it right!

west side homie!

respect!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn super, that was a sexy lookin truck
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xzyragon
damn super, that was a sexy lookin truck
I don't think it was too sexy look'n, but the last motor I put in it could roast the tires in 3rd