Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Two single cab 4x4 rebuilds. 1@80% the other @95%.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two single cab 4x4 rebuilds. 1@80% the other @95%.

I have taken on the what has turned into the biggest nightmare of doing two engine rebuilds in two different pickups. The 88 22re single cab has been nothing but problems and is about 80% complete. I am awaiting to order parts for it and will hopefully have it finished this week. The 92 22re single cab is the biggest issue right now as it is at a friends shop and the customer is getting impatient. We got it running but had the famous surging idle problem. We both did research and found the ways to fix it. Last night we looked at all the things it could be and cleaned everything out. We didn't find any definitive answer as to what caused it but we tried to cover all knows. We got it put back together and went to fire it up and now it won't crank and blows a vacuum line off of the intake and seems to have exhaust coming out of it. We figured some how it got out of time and reset everything just to have it happen again. We don't know what to do. Neither one of us has ever worked on a yota before these so we are looking for any help we can get. The line that's doing it is one of the lines to the ps pump that's about midway down the intake. Any insight as to how to correct this would be greatly appreciated. The 88 I've been the only one to touch other than the machine shop and has had its own laundry list of issues. I haven't even got the chance to turn the motor over yet because of it. I'm waiting on a new timing cover and have talked the owner in to the metal timing chain guides so hopefully she won't have to deal with it again. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

welcome to Yota Tech!!!

I hope you at least learned something in all this.

I can only hope you were upset and failed to proof read.

How could a hose be blown off if the engine does not crank??

Had you pulled the distributor and moved the engine to get your base timing that far off??

Unless you have a cracked head (really bad valve)allowing compression into the intake.

Having no idea just what may or may not have been done.

Could be the Head gasket was not torqued to the 65 foot pounds.

Not being used to these engines can cause a lot of grief all around.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 AM

it sounds like yall might have gotten in over your heads on this one. its one thing to have difficulties working on your own stuff and have to come here for input, but when you're charging someone else money to fix something, its best you have the ability to follow through correctly. not to be busting your balls, but i feel for the guy without a truck right now.

as far as a vacuum line being blown off, it sounds like something is out of time. i know you said you already checked this, but double check again that the ignition timing is correct. start from scratch, pull the distributor, put #1 at tdcc, and go from there. i'd also be really worried that cam timing may be off causing this, in which case you have much bigger issues.

try explaining again whats going on, its hard to understand fully from the first post.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM

Wyoming9. The one I am trying to correct the issues on does run. The 92. It ran fine other than the surging idle which after trying to figure it out the cause and fix it is where the issue has come in. When we turn it over trying to crank it is when the hose pops off. The 88 is the one that I haven't been able to turn over yet.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM

Oldblue. I can't lie to you and say we aren't in over our heads but we are both trying to go behind somebody else and correct the mistakes they have made. The 92 that is at my buddy's shop belongs to a friend of his but is still a customer. The owner is not mad right now because of the situation but we need to get it done and gone to free up space in the shop. He originally paid a mechanic that supposedly knew these motors to do the swap and he decided to get arrested in another state. So the job fell on my buddy being the owner and me and my brother have been lending a hand to try and help. All of us have been turning wrenches for 20+ years so we are no stranger to a motor swap although normally it's a v8 in front of us. The truck is going to be nothing but a toy for the guys daughter to take to the mud bog. We are just trying to pick up the pieces and get the job done that's why we are looking for a hand. The other truck (the 88) that I'm doing is for a girl I know that needed help. I'm not charging her a dime just trying to do it right.

As for the suggestion thank you for the input. I just got here to the shop and will be going to take off the valve cover and just reset everything including the distributor. The hose just pops off when we spin the engine over to crank it. If I can figure out how to post a video on here I'll try to do that in the next couple of minutes.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
ouch... a vacuum hose 'blowing' off means there is POSITIVE pressure where there should be vacuum. What did you do between the time it ran and when you tried to fix the surging idle? Retrace your steps, every problem has a solution... It's easy to start to panic and in turn not get anything done correctly, I did that a couple of times and let good advice from guys on this forum pass thinking that is the least likely....

Now, retrace your steps... it seems to me that the intake valve are open or opening during the compression stroke, thus pushing the compression pressure up to the intake area.... timing chain way off?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM

That's what we were thinking that the timing has gone way off some how. I'm about to go completely check all the timing components to make dang sure they are on and if they aren't reset them. I am definitely open to any advice I can get here. Anything I have looked up during the build of both these trucks has mostly came from the threads on this forum. It has saved my butt. I can't thank the folks here enough. That's why I decided to throw a post up to get any input on our problem. I hope nobody has gotten offended in any way. At first I was a bit by the first few comments but I figured by explaining the situation a bit better they would understand so I didn't seem like a crook. I'm just a guy trying to help some people out and make sure their rides are the best I can deliver in the process. Thanks again guys for the suggestions so far. I'll try to get some pics up in a while.