Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Two piece driveline and carrier bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two piece driveline and carrier bearing

So I planned to swap out my 2 piece to a 1 piece driveline. I have gone through 2 carrier bearings within a couple years. The truck is a 1991 ex cab with 4"lift. So I purchased Trail-Gear's long spline kit and took the pieces to a local driveline shop and was told it was to long and they couldn't build me one that long. The said the max would be 58", they said they could fudge a little but I needed 67" and they refused to build it.

I contacted Jesse at High Angle Driveline and was told the same thing... Jesse said I need to keep a two piece. So with that being said I think I need a carrier bearing drop bracket to decrease wear on my carrier bearing. I've searched online and I see all types of kits for many types of vehicles including tacoma's but I can't find anything for a 1991 toyota pickup... Anyone have any suggestions? If not I will fabricate one myself but maybe there is something else I should try first before doing this? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PS I would do dual cases to shorten the rear driveline length to be able to do a one piece rear but I just spent $1000 on a gear drive T-case with 4:70's and V6 adapter from Trail-Gear so duals isn't in the budget for awhile. That would be an easy fix to this problem though : )
Old 02-01-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 93 and thought the same thing, A drop bracket would help my carrier bearing woes. Im and engineer, i too couldnt find anything to buy online or local 4x4 shop so i designed one myself. I made 1/2' drop, 3/4 and 1". I started with the 1". Had horrible noise coming from the driveline when accelerating. So i switched through all of them. They all made the same noise but less the smaller i went. Only thing i could think of is the angle of the spacer.

Well all in all i could not get it right, went through many different styles and angles of adapters without any success. I ended up going to the dealership and buy a Toyota part, hell it lasted over 100K. You could keep trying as i did and let up know what you find. I only have a 3 inch lift.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply but not what I was hoping to hear lol. I was hoping there would be a simple fix... Well I might just buy a toyota part as the 2nd replacement is nearing the point to need replacement. Thanks for the input. If I discover anything I will post it. Thanks!