Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Turn on head lights/turn signal truck stalls

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn on head lights/turn signal truck stalls

Like the title says I start my truck turn on the head lights or try the turn signals and the truck stalls? It will restart and try it again does the same thing. Was able to drive it a couple blocks and the problem went away drove fine using lights and turn signals got it home and shut it off and tried it again starts up turn on the lights and the idle drops way down same with the turn signal but stayed running. An ideas what is going on?

1988 Toyota 22RE 5 speed 4X4 no mods done to the truck

Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Clean the battery terminals, firm and shiney connections there and the ground points. Alternator belt tight. Test the battery drain with the key in the off position for parasites. Inspect for crusty burnt or pinched wires on the headlamps.

Assuming that is all clean, tight and intact there must be something wrong with the battery or the charge circuits.

Grab a manual and dig in. Let us know what you find and ask any questions you have along the way.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Second the above....
Do not underestimate what a little corrosion would do. Here's how I know.
If suspecting charging system, here's how it works and a few test points to look at.

AND get a multi-meter. Next only to our senses, it is the most important electrical troubleshooting tool. No excuse not to have one; Harbor freight is your friend.
Last Monday, my friend's Heep would not start. If we had a multimeter, we would have quickly determined that battery is good and moved on to next troubleshooting step - tapping the starter solenoid.