Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tubing the fenders... How much for <x> size tire?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tubing the fenders... How much for <x> size tire?

Alrighty now. I just got in my trail-gear lift from wabfab for my 84 today. Lordy I would have KILLED to see my secretary's face when all this stuff arrived. Told her I was expecting a couple truck parts to be delievered, just failed to mention I have about 12 hundred-pound packages being delievered lol!

As far as goodies go, I decided to drop a couple pennies or two for a Classic 5" Front Lift with heavy-duty leafs (nope, no v6 or v8, just making a GIANT deer slaying front end replacement that'll probably weigh more than a motor lol), Classic 5" Rear Lift, 12" Long Spline Drive Shaft with Creeper Joints, 5.29 gears and master install kits, an IFS Gear Box for makin it power steering, and a few other odds and ends.

ANYWAYS, back to the topic, I'm going to be running these 35x12.50 bfg m/ts until I grenade the birfields, then I'll upgrade to longfields or marfields (aint decided which yet), then throw the Swampthing2 (unofficial name) on these nice and purrdy 37x14.50 nitto mud grapplers I got sittin in the garage (though I may trade for some 39.5 boggers. Dunno yet...)

Anyhoo, back on topic again, I'm just wondering how much I'll have to tub the fenders (which reminds me I also just bought a fender guitar today... Yeah, ADD sucks!) to clear 37s, 39.5, or maybe 42s. I'm not TOO worried about having to trim the rear. If I have to tub the frame, I dun screwed up somewhere along the lines! (bed's coming off very soon lol)

So, lend me your thoughts, ideas, or crazy ravings. I'm bored, and got off work early, so I'm just full of energy. Just wish I was in town to start working on my project! Grr....
Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampThing
As far as goodies go, I decided to drop a couple pennies or two...

Never in a million would I have guessed this was your username on YT...never.

Tubbing the fenders is not the issue...tubbing the FIREWALL is what will need to be tubbed if you go over 35sish. Trimming the fenders is a whole notha issue.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Haha yeah I'm a little more professional in real life. A guy's gotta make a living right? After work and on weekends I'm a whole nother kind of crazy. Then the redneck comes out.

That's what I meant though, tubbing the FIREWALL! Haha.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

Tubbing the firewall:
http://www.wabfab.org/projects/1985/body/ft/ft.htm

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM

Lol and as far as the pennies go, okay fine, I may have had a couple hundreds rolled up with the pennies too! Haha

And dude, you have no idea how hard it is to explain to a secretary what a leaf spring and shock hoop is... Speaking of which, did you get my test message earlier today?

Was going to ask you too, saw this picture on your site:

And I was just wondering what exactly you had done on that yota? Cause that's about the exact stance I'm looking for with my yoter. Here's a shot of how it sits now.

I want it to dwarf my ol cummins rummins
Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned

5" lift, 1" body lift, firewall tubbing, 39.5" Iroks and about $15k.

I turned my phone off at 5 pm before I went to baseball. I'll check it tomorrow and respond.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 PM

No problemo. Still out in the boonies, so I'm not too worried about it. Glad as hell I bought this iPhone or else I'd be out of contact with everyone. No cell reception, just enough for textin and internet access hah.

THATS what I forgot I was gonna buy off ya when I was placing my order... Oh well, I'll just order a bodylift once I grenade those birs and buy those longs from ya haha.

$15k? What all on? Assuming 5.29s at lease, maybe 5.71s, histeer, but what all else? Think I'm gonna have to do much more besides install this mighty fine lift, tub the firewall, and take off the bed to be able to get some 39.5s under 'er to get a stance like that?

Thanks for the link, think I know how I'll do it now after lookin at that.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Banned

It all adds up in a hurry easily. Believe me.

Off the top of my head:
85 4Runner $2500
complete engine rebuild $3000
L C E exhaust $600
5" lift $2000
ARBs, OBA and 4.88s $3000
Bead locks and tires $1500
Longfields, chromo axles and chromo drive flanges $1000
Rear full floater with chromo rear axles $1000

And front axle rebuild with brake upgrades throughout, drive shaft work, trans e brake, countless other stuff and soon to be full roll cage, front bumper with WARN 9.0 RC winch, custom soft top, etc. After the next ride I will be tubing out the front clip.

Believe me $15K is a conservative estimate.

That is just the 85 4Runner. I also have an 85 ext cab and Ftoy 93 under construction.