Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trucks under-represented at auto shows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trucks under-represented at auto shows?

Is it just me or are trucks really under represented at auto shows?

Went to a couple of local show and shines last weekend and for some reason really noticed that there were hardly any trucks. Other than a couple of old pickups from the 50's there were no trucks and zero SUVs. Another thing I noticed is how many cars were pretty much new off the lot types that were on display. I could understand if the owners did something to them but they all looked pretty much stock except for mabey an aftermarket air filter.

Don't get me wrong, the pony cars (Mustangs, Camaros, and Challangers) are nice but I would really like to see more variety other than that and brand new un-modifieds. Some of the 50's and older cars were nice but why are there no trucks?

Same thing goes for motorcycles. I'd love to see some older bikes of all makes at a show.

Anyone been to a car show lately? What's it like in your area?

Last edited by Innocent Fool; 08-27-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I go to Shows, Cruise Ins and Cruise Nights with my truck all of the time from April to November. I was at the Street Rod Nationals-East in York, PA earlier this year and I was the only foreign brand there. People really welcomed me and liked my truck. I have a 32 Ford 3W coupe street rod and a full custom 50 Mercury Coupe but I wanted to test the waters with my truck. Many street rodders commented on the truck and were impressed with how it was built / done.

I go to the Bloomsburg Jamboree, Carlisle Trucking Nationals, Harrington Delaware, Ocean City, Maryland Cruises, etc. I see a number of trucks, yes alot of 40's and 50's, but the number of later model trucks are increasing and not with just "Bolt-on" modifications.

It will take sometime but I see more trucks and SUVs being built for shows and cruise'n. I grew up owning a street rod and I see my generation passing the "Torch" to the younger generation with the Camaros, Mustangs and the "Rice Burners". "All good things take time".
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
we did a toyota specific show this year (trucks and 4runners only) , our inaugural show and shine https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f229...-shine-266100/

went great , and are now planning our 2nd annual . 2 Day event with poker run (3 maps - street , mild off road and extreem offroad ) all ending in the same location , so 2wd's and buggies will be able to compete . hope it will be fun !!

I take my trekker to shows all the time , and I see lots of trucks up this way never toyotas , chevs and fords mostly .. most shows are overwelmingly "poluted" with vettes , camaros and mustangs

Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, we get a bunch of people who show off their brand spanking new vehicles in car show... I roll my eyes at them. I got tired of the car show scene, people look at the Camaro and just see a sub par car, not realizing i DD it and dont want to put a 3k dollar paint job on it, or 10 grand worth of engine work into it. You'd be surprised at some of the things i have overheard.

The trucks that show around here are the equivalent of a trailer queen muscle car... They are SO lifted that they serve no purpose other than a show vehicle, or SO lowered that you'd drag every speed bump.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The local sonic/chick fil a car show where I live has a pretty good mix of every thing from rustbucket beater pintos to matching numbers baracudas and a good number of pre 75 usdm trucks and 1 or 2 forgien trucks on occasion
Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 AM

I have gone 3 shows this year with my truck and usually I am the only import and/or truck. The adults usually don't even glance at it, it's the kids that go look at that cool 4x4 Daddy. So I would say we need more trucks out there showing so people can look and say Coooooooool.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 AM

Some of my VW buddies went to a Bug show-n-shine. we're all modern VW`s & considered outcasts, so we zip tied a VW emblem to the grill on my truck & called it a VW Taro.. was good for laughs at the die hards giving us the stink-eye. Since then I have been eyeballing a Taro grill/tailgate on German Ebay