Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck won't start now??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Truck won't start now??

I'm starting a new thread because my problem has morphed. In my last post about having water in my tranny, i posted a pic of my truck in a huge water hole, it was hydrolocked and took forever to get cleaned out and started, but it did start and drive 8 miles to my house. It sat overnight in my garage, and today when I went out to start flushing the tranny, it wont start! I checked the obvious.. getting spark, and i can smell fuel. So I dont get it..like i said, it ran, and seemed to run fine(other than the fact it would stall at idle, but would start right back up while giving a little throttle), so I dont know what to check next, i pulled the ecm and it was a little wet, but has been dried and put back, with no change. Could my maf be junk? if so why was it ok yesterday? What else might be my problem? I know alot of stuff is still wet, so for now i'm letting sit in the garage with my jet heater going to help dry stuff out. I would like to get it started a.s.a.p as I really need to flush the tranny. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Link to other thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50817133
Old 04-28-2008, 02:57 PM

thanks mt_goat.. I had my g/f turn it over while I held my hand to the exhaust... it's not clogged..any other thoughts? Now I'm getting confused!!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my truck does this when its wet out...i put it in my garage with an electric heater on it.. it dires the ditrib or what ever needs to be done so it starts.. if i park my truck in the garage im fine!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air filter is good?ive had soaked air filters and puddles in my air box that led to rough running and rich smelling.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 PM

Yeah..mine is and has been in the garage since i got it home yesterday...It has been raining since about 10am here and were expecting up to 4inches of it, and i bet its not helping me...however.. the dist. is dry and as i said before, it is getting spark and gas, which is the part that confuses me... I should have mentioned before that I have a toyota security system... dunno if thats causing any problems or not..but it did run yesterday with the system disconnected.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
Air filter is good?ive had soaked air filters and puddles in my air box that led to rough running and rich smelling.
air filter was soaked(I was hydrolocked), but i took it out and it ran fine yesterday.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:29 PM

So it wont turn over at all?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:35 PM

no...it turns over fine...it just wont fire up...dosent sound or feel like there is spark, but i pulled 3 of the plugs and noticed there is spark, also getting solid spark from the coil, which i think eliminated the security as the problem...I think
Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

there used to be a spray called lps1, iirc, that would help displace water from electricals. you might want to hit all your connection points from the console forward and see if that helps.

lee
Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM

would wd40 or pb blaster or similar have the same effect?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

wd40 might work but i cant speak from experience with it. any good electrical contact cleaner should do the trick as well. maybe pm 4crawler and see what he suggests.

lee
Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM

*UPDATE*

Decided to unplug the fuel pump as i was smelling alot of gas when cranking, sure enough; after a few seconds of cranking, she fired right up, and ran for a few minutes before i realized the tranny line was disconnected for the flush, so I shut it off. I guess its dumping way too much fuel, and I assume this to be caused by either the o2 sensor( prob still wet, and may be caked with mud) or the maf(air box and filter were fairly wet). Does my assumption appear correct? anything i can do to make it run, at least till i can flush the trans, and see if that im not gonna need a new one in a week? I am thinking of taking out the o2 and blowing it out with compressed air, but would like some advice first as I know that usually if you remove the 02 sensor, you have to replace it, and dont wanna mess with it if its not the problem.
Thanks again in advance as everyone has been very helpfull, and I appreciate all tips!!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Look at the VAFM and see if the flap is stuck open. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...92volumeai.pdf
Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks! going to do that now.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM

yup..thats it...is it possible to clean this or something...or do i just need a new one?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Look at the VAFM and see if the flap is stuck open. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...92volumeai.pdf
huh... if they stick open the truck wont start?

That's interesting... and answers a few questions for myself, lol

If the flap is stuck in a position, it's probably got TONS of dirt in it, in which case you could more than likely get a good amount out by hand with a shop towel and/or nylon brush; only issue it that if it got THAT nasty, it may have seeped up into the electronics portion of the AFM.

Personally, I would cut the silicone out from around the black plastic lid, pry it up, and see if the electronics stayed clean and dry. If they are, then try to clean out the mechanical part of it as good as you can, re-silicone the black lid on the AFM, and your good to go.

If it got any dirt or water in it though, I would say that your probably better off finding another one...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-28-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
huh... if they stick open the truck wont start?
That flap controls how much fuel is added, he had fuel alright, too much fuel. It was flooded with fuel.

Nomally that flap springs closed, a liittle dirt could stick it open. The inside part of it may have gotten water in it too.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-01-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 AM

yeah...i'm pretty sure water got in there...as i said before the airbox and filter were quite wet...have to work today, but ill be on it as soon as i get home; and ill let you guys know if it worked...Thanks for all your help!! You especialy mt_goat, I figured it had to be either the afm or o2 sensor, but was leaning more toward o2...so thanks again!!(although I may end up needig an o2 as well)
Old 04-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Team420
yeah...i'm pretty sure water got in there...as i said before the airbox and filter were quite wet...have to work today, but ill be on it as soon as i get home; and ill let you guys know if it worked...Thanks for all your help!! You especialy mt_goat, I figured it had to be either the afm or o2 sensor, but was leaning more toward o2...so thanks again!!(although I may end up needig an o2 as well)
Hey glad I could help. Whatever you do, don't take those 2 screws out that look like they hold the AFM wiring in place. There is a clip you remove to unplug the wiring to the AFM. DON'T remove the screws!

Quick Reply: Truck won't start now??