86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck won't start

I need a little help with my truck not starting.

Here's the short story: it was running really good for a few days after a rebuild. Replaced the alternator and now it won't start.

Detailed version: I bought the truck from a guy who let it sit for a few months after he blew the headgasket. Prior to that he had replaced the gas tank, fuel pump, ran new gas line, replaced the clutch, brand new radiator and hoses, brand new tires, rebuilt the bottom end, new water pump and thermostat, and sent the fuel injectors off to be rebuilt. So I got a really good deal on it simply because he was tired of fixing it after putting so much in it.

The truck actually ran when I first looked at it, but I knew that wouldn't be for long. So I tow it home and completely rebuild the head and even did some mild port work on the intake side. Put everything back together and took it to a shop to have the timing set properly. They set it and it runs like it's brand new although they me I have a bad alternator and that I should replace it soon. So I drive it home and it drives amazingly. The next day, I have to jump start it because, like they said, the alternator is dead. Nonetheless I was able to drive it to Autozone and buy an alternator and get home without any grief.

So, it took all of 20 minutes to replace the alternator. I go to crank it up and it barely cranks and idles really rough for about 15 secs before it dies. I try it again and nothing. When I crank it, it turns over but it won't start. I checked the battery and it's good. Checked the fuses - good. Pulled the brand new plugs - I get spark on all four. There is pressure on the fuel lines and when I pulled the plugs they were moist with gas - so I have fuel.

Everything that I know to check is good, but it still won't start. So I'm stuck...anyone have any ideas?

I don't understand how it runs perfectly one day, but then won't even crank the next... or even half an hour later.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM

You sure you hooked the alternator up right? Sounds like you took out something. Timing issue?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM

Sure the alternator is good. Take it in and have them test it. Also does it have an aftermarket security system? Iam asking that because it could have killed you ignition. That turned out to be my problem on my 88 pickup.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you have fuel and spark, you might to look at the timing again, making sure the distributor is secure and you did not bump/rotate it when working on the alternator.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

I doubt the alternator is the issue. It is a very simple installation on these trucks and is pretty hard to mess up. Likewise an alternator isn't "required" to start your vehicle. There is something else going on here, which is what I need help with.

I also thought that the timing could be off but like I mentioned earlier, I had a shop set the timing for me and it ran very well before I replaced the alternator.
Just to be sure though, I plan on buying a timing light and checking it myself.

Any other thoughts?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM

I forgot about the security feature thats on the radio right? I think if you disconnect power, and you should have to install the alt(if you didnt you probably killed the alt and that is your prob), you would have to have the code to start the vehicle.

How do your grounds look? from the battery to chassis and the block? check them all make sure they are clean. I cant tell you how many times I have traced an electrical issue to a poor ground or the cable is so shredded that only one strand of copper is left before it is broken completely in half. now im out of ideas so good night all.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Does it seam to be turning over slower than usual? id start simple, check the leads off your battery. positive leads and grounds of the negative.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by js9924
I forgot about the security feature thats on the radio right? I think if you disconnect power, and you should have to install the alt(if you didnt you probably killed the alt and that is your prob), you would have to have the code to start the vehicle.
The radio was ripped out before I bought the truck. I don't really understand what you are trying to advise about the alt.

Originally Posted by js9924
How do your grounds look? from the battery to chassis and the block? check them all make sure they are clean. I cant tell you how many times I have traced an electrical issue to a poor ground or the cable is so shredded that only one strand of copper is left before it is broken completely in half. now im out of ideas so good night all.
The wires and terminals all looked good. I even cleaned up the terminals and still nothing.

Originally Posted by Justinvd
Does it seam to be turning over slower than usual?
When I tried to crank it the first time, it was rather slow before eventually dying. At that point I jumped it off my optima in another car while I charged the battery on the truck. It made quite a difference, but still no start.

The timing seems to be ok; the little I could check. I had the wife crank while I checked the timing marks and they were in sync. The distributor seems fine, the terminals weren't worn or corroded and the rotor spins fine.

Any other thoughts? I'm completely at a loss here.